The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

How can I change my course? [First year student]

Applied through clearing to do Economics/Business Economics (various reasons and a rushed decision subject wise)..

I've been at every lecture/talk at the induction week and it sounds really different to what I was expecting...

The second year of business economics sounds great, but my fear is that i'm disadvantaged because I didn't study A Level Economics (not offered at my college) or A Level Maths.

My background is also in business, rather than economics, I should of just stuck to my guns and applied for Business rather than Econ, but i've learnt.

I just feel terrible at the moment, like really out of my depth and I just feel I need to change. I would of loved to of done Business Econ but the first year is the sames for all Econ degree's.. *sigh* thats my bad.

So how do I go about changing course? Lectures and seminars officially begin next week Monday..

Also does anyone do Business on here first year, if so whats your timetable like?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
You can change from Economics to Business by going to your personal tutor and speaking to them about it.

The first year here is basically designed to get everyone on an even keel and the lecturers are always happy to help (at least, that's been my experience). Economics and Business are in a different department (same School) but I see no reason you shouldn't be able to change, especially seeing as the year hasn't even begun :smile:

I was an EFA student, but I'm pretty sure Business has a similar timetable. Six modules, one lecture per module (one hour) and one seminar per module (one hour). When they are is a bit of a lottery (I think I was in every day in my first and second years) but I found having a nice gap was helpful, rather than cramming everything in to three days.

If you need any more help, quote/PM me :smile:
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Generally they tell you that up to October 31st you can switch.
Reply 3
Original post by Ice_Queen
You can change from Economics to Business by going to your personal tutor and speaking to them about it.

The first year here is basically designed to get everyone on an even keel and the lecturers are always happy to help (at least, that's been my experience). Economics and Business are in a different department (same School) but I see no reason you shouldn't be able to change, especially seeing as the year hasn't even begun :smile:

I was an EFA student, but I'm pretty sure Business has a similar timetable. Six modules, one lecture per module (one hour) and one seminar per module (one hour). When they are is a bit of a lottery (I think I was in every day in my first and second years) but I found having a nice gap was helpful, rather than cramming everything in to three days.

If you need any more help, quote/PM me :smile:

Hi there,
Thankyou very much for the detailed reply..
I haven't been allocated a personal tutor yet, who else can I speak too?

I really want to change asap, the thought of starting lectures is actually making me feel rather miserable...

Also how long does it usually take?

Thankyou again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by I<3Vans
Hi there,
Thankyou very much for the detailed reply..
I haven't been allocated a personal tutor yet, who else can I speak too?

I really want to change asap, the thought of starting lectures is actually making me feel rather miserable...

Also how long does it usually take?

Thankyou again :smile:

You should have a personal tutor by now :s-smilie: Which course are you doing? Who have you met so far (I know quite a few of the Econ lecturers so I might be able to take an educated guess on who might be able to help you!)?

It should be pretty quick, since lectures haven't started yet. Because it's the beginning of term, you should be able to find at least one person who can help you pretty easily.

Lots of people get cold feet and want to change course at this point in time, you'll be fine :smile: The first lecture of each module will be explaining who the lecturer is, a brief view of the syllabus, possibly even another introduction to the university :p: You won't miss too much if you do end up not going to the first week of lectures.

I'm happy to help :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Ice_Queen
You should have a personal tutor by now :s-smilie: Which course are you doing? Who have you met so far (I know quite a few of the Econ lecturers so I might be able to take an educated guess on who might be able to help you!)?

It should be pretty quick, since lectures haven't started yet. Because it's the beginning of term, you should be able to find at least one person who can help you pretty easily.

Lots of people get cold feet and want to change course at this point in time, you'll be fine :smile: The first lecture of each module will be explaining who the lecturer is, a brief view of the syllabus, possibly even another introduction to the university :p: You won't miss too much if you do end up not going to the first week of lectures.

I'm happy to help :h:

So there's no space on either of the courses I wanted to transfer to, so looks like i'm gonna have to withdraw and reapply for the right course.

Is it likely they are gonna reject me due to this do you think?

I'm really disappointed that i'll have to take another year out tbh but thats my fault. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by I<3Vans
So there's no space on either of the courses I wanted to transfer to, so looks like i'm gonna have to withdraw and reapply for the right course.

I'm really disappointed that i'll have to take another year out tbh but thats my fault. :frown:

What theres no space on business management or business studies, at all? Why not stick with it till december thats when they take your loan and if you still dont like it than drop out.
Reply 7
Original post by chikane
What theres no space on business management or business studies, at all? Why not stick with it till december thats when they take your loan and if you still dont like it than drop out.

None at all...
I can't stick it out, I will fail and I really wanna do well in first year, also i'm commuting from London to Coventry there and back every day at the moment. :/
Reply 8
Original post by I<3Vans
None at all...
I can't stick it out, I will fail and I really wanna do well in first year, also i'm commuting from London to Coventry there and back every day at the moment. :/

Woah that is long, usually people drop out in first few weeks of the course i know people in mine who did that last year. We did economics as a module last year and it wasnt too bad.
Reply 9
Original post by chikane
Woah that is long, usually people drop out in first few weeks of the course i know people in mine who did that last year. We did economics as a module last year and it wasnt too bad.

Indeed it is long. But my hearts not set on the course at all..
Original post by I<3Vans

Ah that sucks, I'm sorry :hugs:

You're not going for hugely competitive courses at top unis so rejection because of this is unlikely. Loads of people drop out and take a gap year and go back to uni :smile: It might be for the best. Gives you a bit of time to think about what you want to do.
Reply 11
Original post by I<3Vans
Applied through clearing to do Economics/Business Economics (various reasons and a rushed decision subject wise)..

I've been at every lecture/talk at the induction week and it sounds really different to what I was expecting...

The second year of business economics sounds great, but my fear is that i'm disadvantaged because I didn't study A Level Economics (not offered at my college) or A Level Maths.

My background is also in business, rather than economics, I should of just stuck to my guns and applied for Business rather than Econ, but i've learnt.

I just feel terrible at the moment, like really out of my depth and I just feel I need to change. I would of loved to of done Business Econ but the first year is the sames for all Econ degree's.. *sigh* thats my bad.

So how do I go about changing course? Lectures and seminars officially begin next week Monday..

Also does anyone do Business on here first year, if so whats your timetable like?

Hi I <3 Vans!

If you're unhappy with your course talk to your lecturer about it, also pay a visit to the Students' Union Advice Centre (they're based in the Hub. They can go through your options with you.
They are very friendly and helpful.
Don't leave it too late though :smile:

Hope things work out for you

Liah
Student Accommodation staff
Reply 12
Hi my name is Becki and I work in the Recruitment and Customer Relationship Management Office in the William Morris Building. Sorry to hear the course isn't what you expected as others have advised your course tutor would be the first person you would need to speak to about your concerns/worries. Although its often helpful to have studied Economics and Maths A Levels it is not essential and most students will not have studied these subjects previously. Would you like to come and see us here in the office (WM443) and we can take a look at your options with you. The most important thing at the moment is to get this sorted for you as soon as possible.
Reply 13
Hi, this is Sal, I work in the Marketing and Communications Department at Coventry University. I did a similar thing to I<3Vans when I first went to uni. I applied through clearing to study French and got to the university and felt out of my depth. I knew I wouldn't get on with the course and so I decided to take a year out and go and work in France and apply for a different course the following year. I remember feeling devastated at the time but I was much happier with the second course. I left my decision too late though and therefore think that there's still time for you to change now and avoid having an extra year out.
Reply 14
Original post by Sal_Coventry
Hi, this is Sal, I work in the Marketing and Communications Department at Coventry University. I did a similar thing to I<3Vans when I first went to uni. I applied through clearing to study French and got to the university and felt out of my depth. I knew I wouldn't get on with the course and so I decided to take a year out and go and work in France and apply for a different course the following year. I remember feeling devastated at the time but I was much happier with the second course. I left my decision too late though and therefore think that there's still time for you to change now and avoid having an extra year out.

He said the course he wants to change to is full.
Reply 15
hi, I'm Michele, one of the welfare officers here at the university. I'd be more than happy to meet with you and chat through your options and try to help you to speak to the right people. You can arrange to see me or Sally, the other welfare officer, by calling 02477 658029. Please call if you think we can help.
Hi Michelle, I was reading this thread and was wondering if you knew what the latest time was you can change course? I am currently at Coventry and am getting no satisfaction from my course at all, I have little motivation or enthusiasm for it. I have an idea of a course I would like to transfer too which has some very small similarities to the one I am studying. I was just wondering if I have left it too late? And whether the course I wish to change too has to be quite similar? Also I am on a nhs paid for course and wish to transfer to one where I would have to pay tuition fees is this also possible?

Quick Reply

Latest