The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Sounds like a good idea but yet to master the walking out of lectures with bags trick... going to try it tomorrow inbetween the lecture on imaging and the one on more ethics.. but there isn't a break planned so hoping they'll just let us have a quick break and will escape then :ninja:

Just look as if you are going to the toilet...
Reply 5881
Second lecture and I've already fallen into the "I have no idea how much depth I need to go into" trap. The learning outcome thing is relatively simple, but the lecturer went into detail about random things that have nothing to do with the learning outcome. Any advice? :o:
Original post by Beska
Second lecture and I've already fallen into the "I have no idea how much depth I need to go into" trap. The learning outcome thing is relatively simple, but the lecturer went into detail about random things that have nothing to do with the learning outcome. Any advice? :o:

Ask around.

I'm sure you're sharp enough to have thought of that all by yourself, though :p:
Reply 5883
Original post by Kinkerz
Ask around.

I'm sure you're sharp enough to have thought of that all by yourself, though :p:

Everybody is pretty weary-eyed and stuff, not met my tutor or my medic mum yet. I think it is just the way the lecturer is though, he spoke way too fast about random stuff. I think I'm gonna find the transition hard from school -> uni.
Original post by Beska
Everybody is pretty weary-eyed and stuff, not met my tutor or my medic mum yet. I think it is just the way the lecturer is though, he spoke way too fast about random stuff. I think I'm gonna find the transition hard from school -> uni.

What was the topic?

People don't often find the transition straight forward.
Reply 5885
Original post by Beska

Sounds patronising but -- you just pick it up with time. You'll look back on your notes now in 6 months and laugh at how ridiculous they are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5886
Original post by Kinkerz
What was the topic?

People don't often find the transition straight forward.

Like really simple stuff on proteins and stuff. The learning outcome is something like "describe the structure of proteins in terms of primary, secondary and tertiary structure and understand how primary structure affects 2nd, 3rd, 4th structure and function" but the lecturer was going on about how we need to group all the amino acids into different groups and remember them or something and I have no idea wtf.

Original post by lekky
Sounds patronising but -- you just pick it up with time. You'll look back on your notes now in 6 months and laugh at how ridiculous they are.

As in they are too detailed?
Reply 5887
Original post by Beska

Just generally really bad.. Really detailed, and then not enough detail on the important things, etc. I used to write mine in what was basically prose :confused: seemed like a good idea at the time. just loads of paragraphs. no more. bullet points/tables - be concise.

to be fair it's good to know amino acid groups and the key ones that come up all the time.. there's not that many of them anyhoo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by a moist feeling
I am confused I'm not going to lie :sigh:

Another example is just flat out not going to a 3 hour lecture on ethics and staying in bed :colone:

If it helps, I still have no idea what you look like. I'm pretty sure you introduced yourself to me during mummies and daddies too when I was semi-conscious outside good sams.

YES you took my advice. I tried to save as many freshers as I could from performing medicine this morning as we had a lecture before them but they all went in anyway. Alas, I tried. Their boredome can not be blamed on me.
Reply 5889
Original post by Beska

You have to strike a balance - compromise. Yes, it's important to learn some details, and yes, you may get a question on some stupid tangent that your lecturer went off on, but you can't plan for every eventuality as there just aren't enough hours in the day.

As lekky says, it'll become apparent what things are important to note down in lectures as time goes by. You get a lot more out of going to a lecture if you've had a chance to glance over it beforehand, that way you know what you don't understand about the topic, so you know what to focus on in the lecture.

Things like the amino acid groups are easy enough to come back to later and write mnemonics for, but that's not what you should be focusing on in the lecture IMO - it's easy to look up those details, as long as you've written in your lecture notes exactly what you need to look for.

If there's any way you can print your lecture slides to take notes on, that's a pretty effective way of doing it for me, so I don't need to write what's already there.
Original post by Beska

Awww. The learning outcomes are what you get examined on. Have they told you how they make the exams up? As long as you know the big picture and how to work out DNA -> protein progression. The merit questions tend to be really odd things that you can't predict.

Original post by Beska
Like really simple stuff on proteins and stuff. The learning outcome is something like "describe the structure of proteins in terms of primary, secondary and tertiary structure and understand how primary structure affects 2nd, 3rd, 4th structure and function" but the lecturer was going on about how we need to group all the amino acids into different groups and remember them or something and I have no idea wtf.

as in hydrophilic, neutral and hydrophobic or something else? Ignore him, get the basics down and then you can add in fancy details (and promptly forget them after the exam)

As in going way down the rabbit hole. Knowing the basics well is what you should concentrate on atm.
Original post by Beska

Seriously dont worry. Follow the learning outcomes dont do more than you have to. The people that teach you in the first few years are scientists so they want you to know everything in great detail. Science is their pride and joy.

If this helps when i read the protein thing i have no idea what your talking about i know carbon is in there somewhere because its involved in pretty much everything!

Another thing enjoy non clinical years as much as you can. I was contemplating a very large glass of wine at lunch time!
(edited 12 years ago)
Got to write up my first prescription chart today, just after the F1 told me about a case at chichester last year where 125mg of digoxin was given. May have been extra extra cautious!
Can you be an anaesthetist and not be involved in much perioperative stuff? Just go down the critical care/ITU type route?
Original post by RollerBall
If it helps, I still have no idea what you look like. I'm pretty sure you introduced yourself to me during mummies and daddies too when I was semi-conscious outside good sams.

YES you took my advice. I tried to save as many freshers as I could from performing medicine this morning as we had a lecture before them but they all went in anyway. Alas, I tried. Their boredome can not be blamed on me.

Yeh that was me I'm sure :tongue: but I haven't really seen you since then to be honest :erm:

There have been so many pointless things though if I'm honest, apart from this PBL write-up which isn't too bad, and the fact I have a relatively organised SSC group who want to get everything done really early :sigh:
Reply 5895
Original post by Lantana
Awww. The learning outcomes are what you get examined on. Have they told you how they make the exams up? As long as you know the big picture and how to work out DNA -> protein progression. The merit questions tend to be really odd things that you can't predict.

as in hydrophilic, neutral and hydrophobic or something else? Ignore him, get the basics down and then you can add in fancy details (and promptly forget them after the exam)

As in going way down the rabbit hole. Knowing the basics well is what you should concentrate on atm.

Nope they've not said... how are they made up? It was just the very first lecture so I thought it would be weird that they would want us to memorise loads of random super specific biochemistry things.

Original post by fairy spangles
Seriously dont worry. Follow the learning outcomes dont do more than you have to. The people that teach you in the first few years are scientists so they want you to know everything in great detail. Science is their pride and joy.

If this helps when i read the protein thing i have no idea what your talking about i know carbon is in there somewhere because its involved in pretty much everything!

Another thing enjoy non clinical years as much as you can. I was contemplating a very large glass of wine at lunch time!

The learning outcomes are so broad, it's a pain in the arse. :p:
Original post by Beska

The learning outcomes are so broad, it's a pain in the arse. :p:

You have seen nothing yet!
My learning outcomes are completely random.
I think it took me until second year to understand properly. Even now I seem to spend ages on the irrelevant crap.
I think this rotation has driven me to alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol!
Original post by Beska
Nope they've not said... how are they made up? It was just the very first lecture so I thought it would be weird that they would want us to memorise loads of random super specific biochemistry things

There is a question bank that the lecturers contribute to and each question is rated merit, satisfactory, borderline etc. according to how many % are meant to get it right. They try and keep it so each section will have a mix of difficulty. The questions will be testing a specific learning outcome and if it's not you (plural) can complain and get it removed but they are quite broad so they do have room to ask some obscure things. Its also all multiple choice :jive: but you could have a choice of 15 answers for 1 question. FYI, It's best to read a chapter/lecture, then go back and see what learning outcomes you might have missed rather than try to find all the answers out to a list of outcomes :yes:
Original post by a moist feeling
Yeh that was me I'm sure :tongue: but I haven't really seen you since then to be honest :erm:

There have been so many pointless things though if I'm honest, apart from this PBL write-up which isn't too bad, and the fact I have a relatively organised SSC group who want to get everything done really early :sigh:

Yeah, the first year kind of sucks to be honest. So much dry stuff that it is difficult to relate to medicine. What write up are you doing?

This first week of second year has been the best time (work wise) I've had in medical school thus far. The work is just so much more interesting.

My first SSC group was awesome, second one was mreh, I rarely turned up to the sessions they organised as we just used to talk crap for an hour and then leave with objectives we'd already decided 10 minutes in. If you're not presenting for MONTHS though knocking your poster out now is a bad idea. If you're doing something even remotely complex (99% of posters weren't covered by lectures) you'll forget everything and have to work much harder to present and questions will poke holes in you. You're better off aiming to complete it in a time phrame relevent to when you're presenting. I.E finish all in (poster and presentation) down a week before.
Reply 5899
Original post by Kinkerz
Can you be an anaesthetist and not be involved in much perioperative stuff? Just go down the critical care/ITU type route?
No.

A CCT in ICM comes after a 6 month spell in ICM as a junior and 12-18 months as a senior but it needs to be done alongside a parent speciality as a dual CCT.

To go down the anaesthetic route, you would need to complete anaesthetic training and have a CCT in anaesthetics, as it stands, you would be expected to do some anaesthetics in your job plan.

If you don't want to do anaesthetics, you need to do EM, AM or, much less commonly, Gen Surg.

http://www.medicalcareers.nhs.uk/specialty_pages/medicine.aspx