The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by KR1993
That's great! :smile: if you have 13.5/13.9 academic points is that going on your gcse's, amazing alevels or combination of both?

Well, I'd say it was my A levels. But I did list my GCSEs (5A*s, 4As, 5Bs - Good for my school, not so good compared to every other med applicant, it seems) very quickly, after telling him my A levels. Then he said "just a moment I'll see how you'd score..." 5 mins later he told me my score, I asked him what I lost the points in and he said it's because I didn't get an A in my 4th A2/AS subject. Unclear whether my A*s helped, or whether I lost even more points because my 4th AS/A2 wasn't even a B. I told him I got a B in Eng Lang and so I think I'd have lost more points if they took my GCSEs into account, because they could be better.
Original post by belle-a
X

Hey! How did you become the OP like that :shock:

Witchcraft!!! :angry:
Reply 122
Beats me. But then i thought you had changed it.
Feel free to change it anytime though. Feels weird since i didnt really start it.
Reply 123
I have applied but still not sure I will get in

I have 6 A*4A and 2B at GCSE
4 As and 1 B at AS
predicted 2A*and 2A A2
UKCAT 648
Extended project predicted A

I have a load of work experience in lots of different fields of medicine, play football was a prefect and also a mentor... but still scared!!!!Have applied to Southampton, Leeds, Brighton and Sussex and St Barts (Queen Mary's)

What do you think my chances are? Should I apply somewhere else??
Reply 124
Original post by Seb
Well, I'd say it was my A levels. But I did list my GCSEs (5A*s, 4As, 5Bs - Good for my school, not so good compared to every other med applicant, it seems) very quickly, after telling him my A levels. Then he said "just a moment I'll see how you'd score..." 5 mins later he told me my score, I asked him what I lost the points in and he said it's because I didn't get an A in my 4th A2/AS subject. Unclear whether my A*s helped, or whether I lost even more points because my 4th AS/A2 wasn't even a B. I told him I got a B in Eng Lang and so I think I'd have lost more points if they took my GCSEs into account, because they could be better.

I emailed the admissions office and was waiting for a reply. They said I have 14.5/15 for academics. So glad to finally hear something positive, after being rejected last year! They said I would have had 15/15 if I had AAAA, but I ended up with AAAB due to a stupid practical. I can only assume they took gcse's into account somewhere as your A levels grades are higher than mine :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by KR1993
I emailed the admissions office and was waiting for a reply. They said I have 14.5/15 for academics. So glad to finally hear something positive, after being rejected last year! They said I would have had 15/15 if I had AAAA, but I ended up with AAAB due to a stupid practical. I can only assume they took gcse's into account somewhere as your A levels grades are higher than mine :smile:

What's your academics if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 126
Original post by kim93
What's your academics if you don't mind me asking?

Yea, it's no bother. :smile: 8A*'s + A at Gcse the A being English, and AAAB at A level. How about you? But the admissiins office said to me you'll get that score only if I declare 4A's at AS level on Ucas. I didn't know that was important, luckily I hadn't sent my app yet!
Reply 127
Original post by KR1993

I think the best you can score is AAAA. I re-phoned the other day and I think all you need is to pass the requirements (B in Eng Lang etc.) for GCSE. So even though I have A*A*A*C, they'll count the A*s as A, and penalise me for having a C in my fourth subject. It's a bit annoying after I worked incredibly hard for the 3 A*s and thought that the 4th subject was a waste of time. Well, turns out I was wrong :frown:
So I'm looking to apply somewhere that'll give me some sort of 'bonus points' or something for the A*s. :colone:
Ah, just saw this thread for the first time!

Username- Kidneyjean
Course- Medicine (A100)
GCSE- 7A*s, 4As
AS Levels- AAAC (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish)
A2 Levels (predicted)- A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Maths)
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? First Time Applicant

All the current students I talked to at BSMS seemed so lovely and down to earth :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by Seb
I think the best you can score is AAAA. I re-phoned the other day and I think all you need is to pass the requirements (B in Eng Lang etc.) for GCSE. So even though I have A*A*A*C, they'll count the A*s as A, and penalise me for having a C in my fourth subject. It's a bit annoying after I worked incredibly hard for the 3 A*s and thought that the 4th subject was a waste of time. Well, turns out I was wrong :frown:
So I'm looking to apply somewhere that'll give me some sort of 'bonus points' or something for the A*s. :colone:

Don't discount yourself completely, 13.9 is a really good score! You would only need a score of 11.1 for EC's and experience which you could get if you word your statement right. They said it's not about the quantity more so what you learned, "if in evidence will be awarded".
Reply 130
Original post by KR1993
Don't discount yourself completely, 13.9 is a really good score! You would only need a score of 11.1 for EC's and experience which you could get if you word your statement right. They said it's not about the quantity more so what you learned, "if in evidence will be awarded".

Oh yeah, I also asked for my score again, and sadly it was 13.5 :frown: I want to get 12.5 in PS though to get 26/30 (to hopefully be above an increased cut off). I find p.s. really difficult... I'm trying to do that. Every now and then I mention how I saw leadership and trust being used etc. Except it's slightly better in my ps lol I don't want them to google my ps and think I'm cheating.

May I ask where you'll be applying?
Reply 131
Original post by Seb
Oh yeah, I also asked for my score again, and sadly it was 13.5 :frown: I want to get 12.5 in PS though to get 26/30 (to hopefully be above an increased cut off). I find p.s. really difficult... I'm trying to do that. Every now and then I mention how I saw leadership and trust being used etc. Except it's slightly better in my ps lol I don't want them to google my ps and think I'm cheating.

May I ask where you'll be applying?

I know how you feel, I'm the same! In my PS every time I mention something I explain it; something I didn't do last year :L Not only leadership talk about communication & listening skills a lot because they're key to medicine.
Yea.. Queens Belfast, BSMS and Cardiff, Aberdeen wbu?
Reply 132
Original post by wannabeDr
just wondering what pre-med course did you do and what other med schools are you applying to?

i did a pre-med course at university of west London its meant to be to get into imperial but they never put me on the "imperial route". Most universities dont accept the course in fact only brighton and sussex do. Apart from BSMS i will be applying to keele, aberdeen and east anglia as they seem perhaps slightly easier to get into :s-smilie:
I got ABBB at AS :redface:

Do you guys know what score I'll get for the academics?
Do BSMS basically give offers on the quality of personal statement and reference?
Reply 135
Original post by KR1993
I know how you feel, I'm the same! In my PS every time I mention something I explain it; something I didn't do last year :L Not only leadership talk about communication & listening skills a lot because they're key to medicine.
Yea.. Queens Belfast, BSMS and Cardiff, Aberdeen wbu?

Christ! After the amount of times I've been told I should include communication skills I've forgotten, may have to see what I can improve lol...

They sound like great choices! Best of luck!

I'd have like to apply to QuB but... my C :frown: I'm thinking PMS, Cardiff, Manc and probably BSMS :P
Reply 136
Original post by KR1993
Yea, it's no bother. :smile: 8A*'s + A at Gcse the A being English, and AAAB at A level. How about you? But the admissiins office said to me you'll get that score only if I declare 4A's at AS level on Ucas. I didn't know that was important, luckily I hadn't sent my app yet!

8A*, 3A GCSEs and achieved A*AAa. But the 16:1 applicants/offer ratio scares the hell of me. Applied last year, got 23.5/30 (I think) and 25 or 25.5 was needed for interview. My PS is much better this year but with so few places (144) ...
Original post by kim93
8A*, 3A GCSEs and achieved A*AAa. But the 16:1 applicants/offer ratio scares the hell of me. Applied last year, got 23.5/30 (I think) and 25 or 25.5 was needed for interview. My PS is much better this year but with so few places (144) ...

Hi, could you tell me how they rank academics?
Reply 138
Original post by kim93

If they're giving me 14.5/15 then you've definitely gotten 15 :P it's worrying, but if you end up with an interview just make a lasting impression haha
Reply 139
Original post by Seb
Christ! After the amount of times I've been told I should include communication skills I've forgotten, may have to see what I can improve lol...

They sound like great choices! Best of luck!

I'd have like to apply to QuB but... my C :frown: I'm thinking PMS, Cardiff, Manc and probably BSMS :P

Aye I was thinking PMS but my ukcat average is 640 damn VR. Not the best score so didn't want to risk it. Thanks! And best of luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending