The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Applying to Cambridge over Oxford mostly due to the flexibility of course options - you can do a whole range of linguistic and cultural modules whereas the Oxford course is very heavy on the literature. No reasons other than that, and I actually prefer Oxford as a city.
PPE at Oxford because there is no real alternative at Cambridge that I would have preferred. :tongue:

Also my grades wouldn't have got me to Interview at Cambridge.. :ninjagirl:
Reply 622
Original post by fluteflute
[Offtopic alert]And now he works for Southampton Uni. He could chose to go anywhere in the world... I think it's quite cool that he chooses to spend his time in my home city :biggrin:

In a similar vein, and arguably even more cool, Kevin Keegan signed for you when he was European Footballer of the Year and England captain. He could have gone anywhere in the world. :smile:
Original post by jameswhughes
I'd visited Cambridge several times (in fact I've only spent 2 hours in Oxford on the way to Spain, and that was after I'd decided to apply to Cambridge), and Trinity College supposedly has the best reputation for maths-possibly in the world.

Also, Oxford rejected me from their UNIQ summer school, so perhaps if I had gone to that, I'd have changed my mind! :tongue:

:drool: at your sig
Reply 624
I lived too close to Oxford to consider it. Plus to me Cambridge is more beautiful, and my course has a better reputation at Cambridge generally.
Original post by siwelmail

Original post by siwelmail
:drool: at your sig

:top:
Reply 626
Original post by Deceiver
Applying to Cambridge over Oxford mostly due to the flexibility of course options - you can do a whole range of linguistic and cultural modules whereas the Oxford course is very heavy on the literature. No reasons other than that, and I actually prefer Oxford as a city.

exact same reason for me!

I'm actually not such a big fan of literature; I'm more of a history person :smile:
I'll be applying to Oxford this time next year. Why did I choose Oxford over Cambridge?

1. I went to the summer school and fell in love with it.
2. Oxford do my specific course (Biomed) whereas Cambridge does that (imo) stupid Natural Sciences degree.
3. I visited Cambridge and felt unwelcome. People were rude and cold. Oxford is welcoming and I love it.

Surprisingly, the majority of my Oxbridge friends have chosen Cambridge over Oxford.
Original post by SuperPatchKid
PPE at Oxford because there is no real alternative at Cambridge that I would have preferred. :tongue:

What are your grades, out of interest?
Original post by SuperPatchKid

You know that (for most subjects) then Oxford interview a smaller percentage of applicants that at Cambridge?

(but the criteria are different, Cambridge has UMS, whereas Oxford uses aptitude tests)
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
What are your grades, out of interest?

I got AAA with A in maths at AS, in my gap year I completed maths to get A (so 4 overall).

Original post by fluteflute
You know that (for most subjects) then Oxford interview a smaller percentage of applicants that at Cambridge?

(but the criteria are different, Cambridge has UMS, whereas Oxford uses aptitude tests)

Oh I know, the only issue I had was I was applying on a gap year and had no A*s :smile: In my teachers words, I had the enthusiasm but not the grades :wink:
I never checked my aptitude score so don't have much insight on that.
Reply 631
I live in Cambridge, wanted to move somewhere new.

(Plus, at the time I wasn't confident in getting an A* and also wanted to hide my B at AS... oops!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Postscript
Generally speaking...

Oxfordonions smile with a warm heart
Cambridge folk seem hollow, misty, unreachable even - and not in a good way. A humanity of sorts attracted me to Oxford.

Couldn't agree more. I've just had an offer from Cambridge to study English and I'm an unendurable bastard.
Cambridge doesn't offer PPE. I looked at their Philosophy course and PPS, but neither of those appealed to me very much, so the decision was easy.
Well, I haven't applied yet but what convinced me in favor of Cambridge was reading Stephen Fry's autobiography.:rolleyes:
Oxford but should have applied to Cambridge because they rejected me!

Seriously, I had wanted to go to Cambridge since I was like 9. I had the grades. I'd visited it a few times and loved it. I felt Oxford was more private school and stuck up. But a few friends had gotten into Oxford and told me it was more well known and a bigger, more exciting city. Best of the best. I was confident with my grades, so I made the wrong decision. In my first year of university, I applied again just to Cambridge and they were really keen to interview me. As in I got about 10 missed calls from them. Emails too. One basically said you'll have a very good shot, if you'd just respond! But I was enjoying it at uni, so I left it. Rescinded the application on UCAS. I don't know know if they really were keen to have me or if they just like to interview everyone they can.

Edit: I honestly don't understand why 6 people disliked this comment. Because I misinterpreted 'choose' as I was rejected? If you dislike it, please quote me and explain why exactly.
(edited 12 years ago)
I chose Cambridge. When I went to see Oxford, it rained. When I went to see Cambridge, it was sunny. Obvious choice really.
Reply 637
One comes earlier in the alphabet
After a Cambridge rep came to our school when I was in year 10 to encourage state school students to apply, I was always just aiming for Cambridge, never Oxford. Then when I got into sixth form and had to start thinking about uni, it was always Cambridge for me! I think a part of me knew that I wanted to do the PPS course, even if I didn't know it myself at the time :tongue:

But yeah, Cambridge offers PPS (and I was especially interested in the sociology aspect), while Oxford offers PPE (no sociology).
Original post by dancingqueen
I'm at Lincoln, Oxford, doing chemistry. I had 2 main reasons for choosing Oxford over Cambridge. Firstly, as I'm doing science, I would have to have taken natural sciences which I wasn't keen on, I didn't fancy doing all the other options, just wanted to get on with chemistry. As a result, even though Cambridge say their natural sciences course is just as much depth in a single discipline as other universities' single science courses, I know from comparing with friends that I've covered more stuff and done quite a lot of new, cutting edge chemistry that my friend doing chemistry at Cambridge hasn't covered. However, If I'd not been sure I wanted to do chemistry, NatSci would've been ideal, as you can 'try out' subjects befoe you commit yourself to them for your entire degree.
Secondly, I liked the city of Oxford better than Cambridge. Its bigger, there are more pubs, clubs, cafes etc, and I just like the 'feel' of the place better. Its hard to explain, but I fell in love with Oxford when I visited, and even though I visited Cambridge first, I knew Oxford was where I wanted to be.

Hey, I want to apply for chemistry as well to oxford!
I am just wondering what kind of chemistry related things you did for ur PS?

Latest

Trending

Trending