The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukeWz
Its run by the Bank of England, and you work in a group to produce a presentation how to reduce the inflation rate to 2%. It's a big event and hundreds of schools compete.

Your gcses are still pretty good, only the really competitive ones make a big deal out of them.

The BoE. Really? WOW

My GCSE's are OK but are much lower than others. What about you?
Original post by zaina94
I asked the economics representative on the Warwick Q&A thread about the A* at GCSE in maths (as it effects me too, I got an A).

He said: "It's not a formal requirement for L100 or L112, though clearly we look for very good performance in Maths at all levels."

As I mentioned before, I don't know where you heard it was a requirement...
I certainly haven't heard that anywhere. Maybe you mistook them for Bath?

Representatives disguise what they mean. It depends, what did you get at AS Levels. Also eco at warick is very mathmatical
Reply 3522
Original post by ...mo...
Representatives disguise what they mean. It depends, what did you get at AS Levels. Also eco at warick is very mathmatical

I got an A at AS Level in maths, and I'm predicted an A*. I also do further maths.
I know it's mathematical, but as I mentioned before, they won't reject someone that's predicted an A* at A Level, JUST because they don't one at GCSE. They could still reject you, but that alone won't be the reason.

As long as you show you're capable of doing better, (shown by your AS grade) they won't place too much weighting on a single GCSE grade alone. I definitely know I could have got an A*, despite not getting one. They can probably guess that from my AS levels, I did A LOT better across all my subjects. AS Levels and predictions are more important.
Original post by zaina94
I got an A at AS Level in maths, and I'm predicted an A*. I also do further maths.
I know it's mathematical, but as I mentioned before, they won't reject someone that's predicted an A* at A Level, JUST because they don't one at GCSE. They could still reject you, but that alone won't be the reason.

As long as you show you're capable of doing better, (shown by your AS grade) they won't place too much weighting on a single GCSE grade alone. I definitely know I could have got an A*, despite not getting one. They can probably guess that from my AS levels, I did A LOT better across all my subjects. AS Levels and predictions are more important.

Simlarly I did much better at A Level than GCSE's
Will that be represented as poor GCSE's or good A Levels
Anyway I hope that clarifies things. Have you done/drafted your PS?
Reply 3524
Simlarly I did much better at A Level than GCSE's
Will that be represented as poor GCSE's or good A Levels
Anyway I hope that clarifies things. Have you done/drafted your PS?

Yeah...my deadline was nearly 2 week ago :u:
And it depends on how good your A Levels/weak your GCSEs are I guess? Varies from university to university...
Original post by zaina94
Yeah...my deadline was nearly 2 week ago :u:
And it depends on how good your A Levels/weak your GCSEs are I guess? Varies from university to university...

I am gessing internal deadline. Any way hope it goes well.

btw how does UCAS track work?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3526
Then why do they teach children who are learning that you should pronounce the word. These are educated people teaching the lessons of life.

:facepalm:

Original post by Trays
Hey guys. I got my AS results : AAAA in math econ and physics FM respectively and were predicted A*A*A*A.
I am going to apply Cambridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick, Bath and an insurance
Do I have a good chance to get into LSE and UCL or Warwick
And UCL VS Warwick which one is better for economics course in future career?

You have a good chance at all of them :smile: And the UCL v Warwick argument is down to personal opinion, they are both very good.

What college you applying to at Cambridge?
Then why do they teach children who are learning that you should pronounce the word. These are educated people teaching the lessons of life.

Is this guy trying to say he's in the right for spelling simple words incorrectly? Lmao.
Can't wait to start Tracking!
Reply 3529
Original post by internetstephen
Is this guy trying to say he's in the right for spelling simple words incorrectly? Lmao.

Think so :rofl:
Reply 3530
Is this forum representative of all the applicants who are applying for economics degrees?
No this is a sample which is above the average in terms of academics profiles.
Original post by Sirrod
Is this forum representative of all the applicants who are applying for economics degrees?

I highly doubt it, with the likes of Groat, Tateco and a few others.

I see you're planning on applying for Econ with French...you're my competition :colone:
Original post by Sirrod

No, just look how many are applying to the top 5 unis.
Original post by Sirrod

No it is not average, for applicants who are applying for economics degrees in general, however is maybe average for those applying to top 10/5 universities for economics.
Does anyone know how what UCL, LSE and Warwick pay more attention to in personal statements.
Cambridge is renown for ignoring the EC section, do either of the above pay any attention to it?
Reply 3536
This thread is not average by any means, I'd say most people here who are applying to the top 5 have a good shot at them.
Reply 3537
Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks
Does anyone know how what UCL, LSE and Warwick pay more attention to in personal statements.
Cambridge is renown for ignoring the EC section, do either of the above pay any attention to it?

I hope not because my PS has roughly two sentences of EC.
Reply 3538
Original post by fredbol
I hope not because my PS has roughly two sentences of EC.

I might sound stupid here, but what does EC stand for? Extra curricular ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3539

Academia

Latest

Trending

Trending