The Student Room Group

Mother 'sacrificed' daughter to Allah

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15128057

Shayma Ali, 36, who was suffering from psychosis, stabbed the four-year-old up to 40 times and took out her liver.

The girl's body was found at her east London flat on the Chatsworth Estate, Clapton, east London, in December.

Ali pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility. She was sent to a mental hospital indefinitely.

When police arrived at their east London home, the woman was chanting: "I seek refuge in God from the curse of Satan".

The Old Bailey heard Ali had sunk "suddenly and deeply into mental illness" and was convinced the spirits or jinn had entered the bodies of members of her family.

Scroll to see replies

I'm muslim and when i saw this story i almost cried she was mentally unstable and it wasn't anything to do with Islam...
She obviously isn't alright upstairs

/Thread
Reply 3
This is to do with mental instability, not religion.
Reply 4
She's mentally unstable, don't blame islam teachings for that one,

But even so, many people here will bash islam teachings and that it's the cause of this action...
I'm sorry, but it was because of religion. Obviously her mental condition was part of the problem, but she never would have had such ideas if it wasn't for religion.

All religion should be abolished.
(edited 12 years ago)
But it has nothing....

You know what, I ain't even gonna bother
Reply 7
-sigh- There's going to be an undoubtable rush of ignorant Islam-haters bringing religion as a factor in this case.
Reply 8
Original post by Rebellious-Steve
I'm sorry, but it was because of religion. Obviously her mental condition was part of the problem, but she never would have had such ideas if it wasn't for religion.

Now this is just plain stupidity. This is ONE case where a mentally unstable person did an horrific act due to her own mental instability. Saying it was DUE to religion is just ignorance. Whatever she was doing at the time, whether it was reading the Quran, Bible, Fiction or just hearing voices, in the end, she still had a mental breakdown. Just because a Quran was involved doesn't equate that to being a factor. People suffering from the same thing she did also suffer from fits of paranoia and other such symptoms. You can't say that it was caused by religion.
Original post by Sadian
Now this is just plain stupidity. This is ONE case where a mentally unstable person did an horrific act due to her own mental instability. Saying it was DUE to religion is just ignorance. Whatever she was doing at the time, whether it was reading the Quran, Bible, Fiction or just hearing voices, in the end, she still had a mental breakdown. Just because a Quran was involved doesn't equate that to being a factor. People suffering from the same thing she did also suffer from fits of paranoia and other such symptoms. You can't say that it was caused by religion.

I never said it was due to religion.
Reply 10
Why even mention religion in the article, like? No relevance... Unless, of course, you're sane.
This has nothing to do with her religion. It's about the mental state of the woman.
Reply 12
I never said it was due to religion.

See that? Yeah. Sometimes I wonder about the amounts of stupidity plagued with some TSR members.
Reply 13

So how would you go about 'abolishing' religion?

and how would the world actually benefit from it?
Original post by JohnC2211
This is to do with mental instability, not religion.

lets be honest its the same thing:rolleyes:
Original post by Sadian
See that? Yeah. Sometimes I wonder about the amounts of stupidity plagued with some TSR members.

Yes? I simply said it was contributing factor, which if it was taken away this would have never happened.

Mental Instability does not mean you go around killing people. You're simply more susceptible to irrational suggestion, a suggestion of which came from religion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kopite493
lets be honest its the same thing:rolleyes:

i believe in a imaginary friend who tells me to do things i am insane

1000's of people believe in the same imaginary friend and its religion it is a joke
Reply 17
Mentally ill atheists have done terrible things, but as soon as mentally ill theists do terrible things it's because of religion? Please.

This happened as a result of her mental instability - not because she was religious. Always awful to hear stories like this. A loss of a life should always be mourned.
Original post by JordanR
Mentally ill atheists have done terrible things, but as soon as mentally ill theists do terrible things it's because of religion? Please.

This happened as a result of her mental instability - not because she was religious. Always awful to hear stories like this. A loss of a life should always be mourned.

That is irrelevant. When someone without any particular belief does something terrible, it's the fault of the human condition.
Reply 19
Yes? I simply said it was contributing factor, which if it was taken away this would have never happened.

And this is where your ignorance comes from. This woman was mentally ill, she was SCHIZOPHRENIC. Paranoia, fear, anxiety, voices, all these affect people with Schizophrenia. You can take the Quran and replace it with Dr. Seuss for all that matters, she still would've had that mental breakdown, the mental torture and the craziness. Stop using this to attack religion.

Quick Reply

Latest