The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Applying here ! Hopefully have a good shot of an interview at least.

Predicted grades or AS more important ? Anyone know.
Reply 61
This thread has an GCSE A* poll on it, does this mean they look alot at GCSE's as i cant find anything about GCSE requirments on their website apart from B's in english and science's.

I only ask as my GCSE's wernt too great, but i did get AAAA in my a-levels, will look at them instead?
Reply 62
Original post by Swind
This thread has an GCSE A* poll on it, does this mean they look alot at GCSE's as i cant find anything about GCSE requirments on their website apart from B's in english and science's.

I only ask as my GCSE's wernt too great, but i did get AAAA in my a-levels, will look at them instead?

I emailed the admissions office to find out, because last year you needed 25 points from your GCSEs to progress. 3 points for an A* 2-A and 1-B
However they told me if you already have AAAc or higher at alevel they will give you an additional 4 points to boost you over the threshold, if you're not already over it. :smile:
Reply 63
When applying to Cardiff do we have to include AS individual module results and scores
Is the 25 points needed from your best 9 GCSE's or all of them.

Because if its the best 9 does that not mean you need 7A* and 2A's ?
Reply 65
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero

The points are needed from your best 9 the cut off was 23 in previous years, last year 25. If you've already got AAAc at alevel it's more like 3-4 A*s because of the extra points they give you :P
My best 9 are 6A* and 3A's.

which = 24 points.

So I can't apply, bit annoying that they say 5A* usually needed.
Is there any chance the 25 score will fall?

How are the IGCSEs converted into points?? and where is it said so?

Ok.. I found it! And I've got 25 points too! 5A*s and 5As.... would it be enough?
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry man but cardiff only take the best 9. So you only have 23 points. :\
Reply 70
Is there any chance the 25 score will fall?

No idea, it could very well be lower than 25 or above it? It just depends on what everyone else scores.
I can't honestly see it rising above 25. But I think it will remain stationary.
Reply 72
I can't honestly see it rising above 25. But I think it will remain stationary.

You're probably right :smile: especially when in previous years you needed 23 points.
Reply 73
Applying here ! Hopefully have a good shot of an interview at least.

Predicted grades or AS more important ? Anyone know.

They don't look at either, only GCSEs for academics :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by KR1993
I emailed the admissions office to find out, because last year you needed 25 points from your GCSEs to progress. 3 points for an A* 2-A and 1-B
However they told me if you already have AAAc or higher at alevel they will give you an additional 4 points to boost you over the threshold, if you're not already over it. :smile:

I'm sorry but this is absolute crap. Last year (2011 entry) the threshold was 23 points, I had 24 but I know people who had 23. The maximum points you can get is 27 so it's also total crap that they give you an extra 4 points. Although, if you do have AAA at A level they will accept slightly lower GCSEs than normal.
Reply 75
Original post by Elwyn
I'm sorry but this is absolute crap. Last year (2011 entry) the threshold was 23 points, I had 24 but I know people who had 23. The maximum points you can get is 27 so it's also total crap that they give you an extra 4 points. Although, if you do have AAA at A level they will accept slightly lower GCSEs than normal.

Well I'm only quoting what Cardiff admissions office told me they said 25 points** for the 2011 admission cycle. Maybe the admissions office are wrong. (highly unlikely) I'm hardly going to write a load of crap, i made sure to wait until I had a reply before contributing to this thread. Also very well spotted that it's out of 27 we didn't all know that already.
They said if you have AAAc or above at A level then they will give you up to an additional 4 points to boost your marks so that you meet the gcse threshold okay. Not that they will lower the threshold. It's not absolute crap!
Reply 76
Original post by KR1993
Well I'm only quoting what Cardiff admissions office told me they said 25 points** for the 2011 admission cycle. Maybe the admissions office are wrong. (highly unlikely) I'm hardly going to write a load of crap, i made sure to wait until I had a reply before contributing to this thread. Also very well spotted that it's out of 27 we didn't all know that already.
They said if you have AAAc or above at A level then they will give you up to an additional 4 points to boost your marks so that you meet the gcse threshold okay. Not that they will lower the threshold. It's not absolute crap!

Actually it's highly likely they are wrong, take a look at the Cardiff Applicants 2011 thread. The admissions department here is appalling.
Reply 77
Original post by Elwyn
Actually it's highly likely they are wrong, take a look at the Cardiff Applicants 2011 thread. The admissions department here is appalling.

Maybe you're right. But, I'm only basing what I've said on the information Cardiff gave to me :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by KR1993
Maybe you're right. But, I'm only basing what I've said on the information Cardiff gave to me :smile:

Ok, but it's best to do your own research by looking at last years applicants profiles. You can expect the threshold to be 24 at the most.
Reply 79
I only have 22 points :angry:

5A*, 5A, 5B. But I only got a B in English and that has got to be added.

Hopefully there is some leniancy as I have mah A Levels. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest