The Student Room Group

Everyone hates ugly people - worse than racism/sexism/homophobia etc

You can be gay and still be accepted.
You can be female and still be accepted.
You can be an ethnic minority and still be accepted.
You can be short and still be accepted.
You can be religious and still be accepted.
You can be dark-haired and still be accepted.

You can ugly...

Oh wait a minute. No you can't.

Being ugly is, according to society, the worst trait there is. No, nothing can ever redeem ugliness. Even the oppressed oppress ugly people.

If you are ugly, you are destined to be discriminated and have a disappointing life.

Why? Because even people of different races, different hair colours, religious or not religious, different heights, and not heterosexual can still be in relationships.

Ugly people? No they cannot.

(Ugly people being with ugly people does not count. Ugly people secretly wish they could be with a better partner, but they can't as they're ugly).
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Utterly useless thread.
Pretty sure that "ugly" people are considered at least a bit physically attractive by their partners.
Plenty of ugly people live pretty good lives simply because they are ugly; movie and TV roles, comedians, etc, and lots of ugly people get by fine by other redeeming qualities such as intelligence or other talent in whatever they do. You're not destined for a horrible life just because you're deemed ugly as long as you don't let the criticism of your looks affect you.

Anyway if even ugly people don't accept ugly people and resent that they can't get with someone more attractive then I don't think they can really complain about how unfair "society" is.
Reply 4
:sucks:
Reply 5
lol.. not everybody wants or even needs relationships. It's not something absolutely required for human happiness. There are many people who don't date a lot, and it doesn't affect them.

I think UK society demonises ugliness since it's seen as cool to have sex a lot.
Reply 6
Oh come on... I'm not that attractive and consider myself ugly but I have a wonderful partner!
Original post by animalnitrate
Pretty sure that "ugly" people are considered at least a bit physically attractive by their partners.

1. They have settled for third best.
2. They think of someone else during sex.
3. They would easily cheat on their partner if they could. (Many do).
Original post by cats are cool
Plenty of ugly people live pretty good lives simply because they are ugly; movie and TV roles, comedians, etc, and lots of ugly people get by fine by other redeeming qualities such as intelligence or other talent in whatever they do. You're not destined for a horrible life just because you're deemed ugly as long as you don't let the criticism of your looks affect you.

Anyway if even ugly people don't accept ugly people and resent that they can't get with someone more attractive then I don't think they can really complain about how unfair "society" is.

The advantages of being ugly are minimal compared to being beautiful.
Original post by pencilcasetapper
The advantages of being ugly are minimal compared to being beautiful.

Yes but you are saying there are no advantages. You can get jobs for being ugly the same way you can get jobs for being beautiful in the media. Playing the "ugly" character in films or TV the same way people get cast to play the "beautiful" character. And comedians make shows out of material about being ugly or fat, look at Joan Rivers or Ralphie May.

And being ugly and leading a life that is not based on how ugly you are doesn't hinder you from the way you imply. You can be ugly and successful easily. There are many intellectuals deemed unattractive, many talented people, singers, etc. You can have relationships since you can have many redeeming factors; looks are a very small part of a whole. As long as you are thick skinned, you are not destined to lead a disappointing life because of the way you look. You can easily lead a very rich and fulfilling life.

Yes but you are saying there are no advantages. You can get jobs for being ugly the same way you can get jobs for being beautiful in the media. Playing the "ugly" character in films or TV the same way people get cast to play the "beautiful" character. And comedians make shows out of material about being ugly or fat, look at Joan Rivers or Ralphie May.

And being ugly and leading a life that is not based on how ugly you are doesn't hinder you from the way you imply. You can be ugly and successful easily. There are many intellectuals deemed unattractive, many talented people, singers, etc. You can have relationships since you can have many redeeming factors; looks are a very small part of a whole. As long as you are thick skinned, you are not destined to lead a disappointing life because of the way you look. You can easily lead a very rich and fulfilling life.

Really? Then why do women spend excessively on their appearance? Why do men desire the ultimate female physique?
I don't think this thread is rubbish... It's something that is quite overlooked by most people. The ugliest girls in my year are all ostracised and everyone talks and laughs about them behind their back. It's really horrible.
Reply 12
Physical ugliness is not very important, it's the people with ugly personalities that repulse me. that's a cliche, but it's the truth.
Original post by r.hackett
Physical ugliness is not very important, it's the people with ugly personalities that repulse me. that's a cliche, but it's the truth.

Exactly.

1. They have settled for third best.
2. They think of someone else during sex.
3. They would easily cheat on their partner if they could. (Many do).

Do you have any evidence to back this up?

and even those people aren't lonely or anything

this thread sucks
ugly is too subjective in a lot of cases. There's no way you can point out as a fact some one is ugly so i dont believe 'everyone hates 'ugly' people'
Reply 16
I am very very ugly and I believe what you are saying. Every one hates ugly people and you cant have a friend and never dream to have a gf/bf because it is impossible but only if some one is very very ugly.
Average ugly guy may get friends or a partner but very very ugly guy will never get.
Plenty of successful ugly people. The problem with ugly people is they usually have self-esteem issues, they're not confident and they whine a lot - that will get you nowhere in life.

If you're ugly, suck it up and get on with life, you'll do fine.

You're not male.

Original post by animalnitrate
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Life. E.g. better looking people are treated better.
Really? Then why do women spend excessively on their appearance? Why do men desire the ultimate female physique?

It takes a lot of courage to be ugly because people can be very horrible - you need to not be hurt by it and many people couldn't take that. The women who spend on their appearance usually are not actually ugly so they aren't going to get a career out of it. And what men may or may not desire does not in any way equal that ugly people are destined for a terrible life. If all you want in life is to be extremely attractive to everyone in the opposite sex then the points you are raising are semi-valid but surprisingly entire lives are not usually committed to this cause.

I'm not saying you're better off in life being ugly, I'm just not saying they will always have as bad a life as you imply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending