The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had really great night with church young adult group last night, crazy golf and laser quest! And I discovered an unknown skill of mine...I'm great at laser quest! 3rd out of 21 and the majority were boys!
3am fire alarm. Fail.
You know there's something wrong when after a terrible night's sleep accompanied by a fire alarm in the wee hours, a huge cup of extra strong, extra caffeinated coffee does absolutely nothing to you.
A 'new' 24-7 blog post that I'd been meaning to read for a couple of days now. Thought I'd share: http://www.24-7prayer.com/features/1567

Thoughts?
Original post by greeneyedgirl

Had really great night with church young adult group last night, crazy golf and laser quest! And I discovered an unknown skill of mine...I'm great at laser quest! 3rd out of 21 and the majority were boys!

Woo, sounds like fun! :biggrin:
Original post by lovers in japan
Woo, sounds like fun! :biggrin:

It was really great fun, good bonding time (although always hilarious playing laser quest in a Christian group as people look mildly guilty for shooting you!)
It was really great fun, good bonding time (although always hilarious playing laser quest in a Christian group as people look mildly guilty for shooting you!)

:rofl: Reminds me of this:

Q: What's the slowest thing on four legs?
A: Two Christians trying to get through a door.
Original post by meatball893
:rofl: Reminds me of this:

Q: What's the slowest thing on four legs?
A: Two Christians trying to get through a door.

:rofl: I apologised to quite a few people, especially the guys cos they looked really confused that a girl was killing them
:rofl: I apologised to quite a few people, especially the guys cos they looked really confused that a girl was killing them

[tragic] I tend to find it's always the girls that kill me. [/tragic]
:frown:

EDIT: (I'm glad you're all having fun people. There're too many posts to reply to individually but I HAVE been praying for the things people have requested!)
I've had an absolutely lovely day, I Cycled to Bath this morning and had drinks in the sun and had a friend over. Now i'm reading my book :biggrin:
Reply 6929
Original post by rainbowbex
I've had an absolutely lovely day, I Cycled to Bath this morning and had drinks in the sun and had a friend over. Now i'm reading my book :biggrin:

That's good. I've had a rather brilliant couple of days - last night a couple of friends came round to bake cakes for a cake sale, and we just ended up talking for the whole night about so many things, really interesting, deep and open discussions. I've not known either of them that long, but we get on so well and it was so nice to be open and honest about a whole load of issues. So now I'm exhausted having had no sleep but I feel so much better emotionally.

Haha like it, yeah sounds about right for a Christian group :p: I had a very indepth convo about religion/faith in general with my very intelligent atheist housemate... was pretty hard!
Reply 6931
Right... Has been a crazy night! Haha

Basically, went back to probably my best friend at Bristol's flat after going to a bar and before going to the club and we just started having the most incredible deep chat about Christianity! He used to be a Christian but has fallen away (he claims, due to studying Philosophy at school and now at uni) but he admitted that he was really respectful of my stance on my faith. This is something I really need - he may not be a Christian, but he's not going to be one to put me down because of my faith. Was very strange that we had this really deep chat while doing shots of rum with whatever we could find in his kitchen! haha

Just really took me by surprise... can't even remember how we got into the conversation, but it kept on going. Turns out our morals are virtually the same, except for a few differences.

One thing I would like prayer for is that when I drink I get tend to lose my inhibitions a bit and get a bit touchy feely, which can end up with me doing things I probably shouldn't be doing. I tend not to drink that much as I know how I can get, but sometimes it's hard and you just do things without thinking.

I forgot to put back on my christian wristband after preseason training and I just felt like there was something about me that wasn't right. Putting it back on now! Also first CU of the year tomorrow (and my first uni CU ever!)!
Haha like it, yeah sounds about right for a Christian group :p: I had a very indepth convo about religion/faith in general with my very intelligent atheist housemate... was pretty hard!

Yes. This happened to me last night, also.
It's cool, I was praying yesterday afternoon that God would use me to reach into these people's lives, and I commented to my friend via skype that I think my huge bookshelf in my room (of Christian, atheist and scientific books) will be a good witness to them.
So, after dinner, everyone randomly walked in and looked at my books and started up a religious conversation. T'was epic, the Gospel was preached and we had a really cool time of bonding and discovery through it. I was amazed at the differences in reaction between different people though - two of them were really interested and keen to hear what I had to say, to ask questions, to give their views, etc. two of them were just completely not interested and would appear every couple of minutes to say something like "religion is rubbish" (in slightly more explicit language), and one of them I feel wanted to get in on the conversation but was too scared about what people would think of him for engaging in such a conversation.

It was really cool, had a decent discussion about faith and the NT documents and Hebrew and I explained a few of the contradictions that people pick out with the bible. I couldn't answer the following questions though, I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with some answers, or at least point me in roughly the right place?
1- Why aren't you a Muslim? (they seem to have idealised views of the Quran and Islam in general, seeing the Quran as "more pure" than the bible) They were alluding to the idea that I am only Christian because it was inherited.
2- If God is who God is (ie. omnipotent, etc. etc.) and He created the world knowing there would be suffering and evil and sin, and He is sovereign over that, then how is He not responsible for it?

Both of these I had no answer to so I was praying for wisdom and guidance and I think the best thing to do in that situation was to just humbly admit that I did not know the answers. I want to be able to come back with a decent answer though.

In other news, afterwards we all went to the union and I drank some beer (I very very rarely drink) and I felt a little tipsy afterwards (I don't think it came across at all) and then it went away but this morning my head feels still a little weird. I only had one pint.
Reply 6934
Original post by JB Johnstone
Yes. This happened to me last night, also.
It's cool, I was praying yesterday afternoon that God would use me to reach into these people's lives, and I commented to my friend via skype that I think my huge bookshelf in my room (of Christian, atheist and scientific books) will be a good witness to them.
So, after dinner, everyone randomly walked in and looked at my books and started up a religious conversation. T'was epic, the Gospel was preached and we had a really cool time of bonding and discovery through it. I was amazed at the differences in reaction between different people though - two of them were really interested and keen to hear what I had to say, to ask questions, to give their views, etc. two of them were just completely not interested and would appear every couple of minutes to say something like "religion is rubbish" (in slightly more explicit language), and one of them I feel wanted to get in on the conversation but was too scared about what people would think of him for engaging in such a conversation.

It was really cool, had a decent discussion about faith and the NT documents and Hebrew and I explained a few of the contradictions that people pick out with the bible. I couldn't answer the following questions though, I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with some answers, or at least point me in roughly the right place?
1- Why aren't you a Muslim? (they seem to have idealised views of the Quran and Islam in general, seeing the Quran as "more pure" than the bible) They were alluding to the idea that I am only Christian because it was inherited.
2- If God is who God is (ie. omnipotent, etc. etc.) and He created the world knowing there would be suffering and evil and sin, and He is sovereign over that, then how is He not responsible for it?

Both of these I had no answer to so I was praying for wisdom and guidance and I think the best thing to do in that situation was to just humbly admit that I did not know the answers. I want to be able to come back with a decent answer though.

In other news, afterwards we all went to the union and I drank some beer (I very very rarely drink) and I felt a little tipsy afterwards (I don't think it came across at all) and then it went away but this morning my head feels still a little weird. I only had one pint.

A friend and me had this discussion the other day, if you're not used to drinking very often then even the smallest amount can lead to a 'hangover', i get the same after a couple of drinks as I very seldom drink and when I do tend to only have one.

As for the above thats amazing! I occasionally have conversations like that with my friends and I find it comforting that they feel if they ever have a question about christianity/god they can ask me.. the other day I got a text off a friend asking a question about faith which really made me smile. As for the questions... I'll admit I'm not great answering questions so hopefully someone here can guide us all :smile:
Original post by EEngWillow
[tragic] I tend to find it's always the girls that kill me. [/tragic]
:frown:

EDIT: (I'm glad you're all having fun people. There're too many posts to reply to individually but I HAVE been praying for the things people have requested!)

I feel less bad shooting the guys then the girls...

Yeah chats like that are hard, I'll pray that if an opportunity arises again you'll feel confident and empowered with the Holy Spirit and know what to say :yep:

Original post by skotch
Right... Has been a crazy night! Haha

Basically, went back to probably my best friend at Bristol's flat after going to a bar and before going to the club and we just started having the most incredible deep chat about Christianity! He used to be a Christian but has fallen away (he claims, due to studying Philosophy at school and now at uni) but he admitted that he was really respectful of my stance on my faith. This is something I really need - he may not be a Christian, but he's not going to be one to put me down because of my faith. Was very strange that we had this really deep chat while doing shots of rum with whatever we could find in his kitchen! haha

Just really took me by surprise... can't even remember how we got into the conversation, but it kept on going. Turns out our morals are virtually the same, except for a few differences.

One thing I would like prayer for is that when I drink I get tend to lose my inhibitions a bit and get a bit touchy feely, which can end up with me doing things I probably shouldn't be doing. I tend not to drink that much as I know how I can get, but sometimes it's hard and you just do things without thinking.

I forgot to put back on my christian wristband after preseason training and I just felt like there was something about me that wasn't right. Putting it back on now! Also first CU of the year tomorrow (and my first uni CU ever!)!

Praying for you! Are Tom/Jono going d'you know?
Reply 6936
Praying for you! Are Tom/Jono going d'you know?

Term starts tomorrow, so got no idea if they're going to go or not!
Original post by skotch
Term starts tomorrow, so got no idea if they're going to go or not!

Ahh I always forget that being in Scotland means I start way earlier than anyone else! It's start of my 4th week up here tomorrow!
Amazing. I was really touched, inspired and convicted by this one.
"Courage, Christ, and Finishing the Mission."

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/conference-messages/courage-christ-and-finishing-the-mission
Had a great day today - rode about 50 miles in the lovely sunshine as I'm training for a charity ride to ride to 4 theme parks in 4 days in just under 400 miles for a youth charity which I just signed up for :yes:

Could use some prayers for endurance to make it through. I have a long few weeks of training ahead and whilst one part of me really relishes the challenge, the lazier part of me doesn't aha :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending