The Student Room Group

Why did you choose Computer Sciences?

Scroll to see replies

Okay gentlemen, please please can you give us some examples of the maths you do in CS? I've searched on google but I don't know what to believe and what not. Only you lot are reliable sources.
Reply 21
Original post by PraxxtorCruel
Okay gentlemen, please please can you give us some examples of the maths you do in CS? I've searched on google but I don't know what to believe and what not. Only you lot are reliable sources.

It varies a lot between universities.
An example of cambridge cs maths was given earlier in the thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34280686&postcount=13
Original post by Chrosson
It varies a lot between universities.
An example of cambridge cs maths was given earlier in the thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=34280686&postcount=13

Thanks, now the big question for CS students, how many of you can say that you understood all that stuff straight of, or had to hear how to do it from the lecturer or do extra catching up at home?
Reply 23
Thanks, now the big question for CS students, how many of you can say that you understood all that stuff straight of, or had to hear how to do it from the lecturer or do extra catching up at home?

If you read the post, it's second year CS theory at cambridge. I have some doubts that people could do it before being lectured about it (unless, of course, they were reading ahead).
Not much point going to a uni if you don't learn anything...
Reply 24
Original post by Chrosson
I see what you're saying and it's unfortunate, but you're really leaving this crisis a bit late. Assuming normal application deadline, 3 months to decide between the completely different subjects of economics and CS and then write a PS on it (given that you're basically saying you have nothing you can say about CS at all) is asking a bit much.

If you just consider the level of uni that you'll get into for economics vs for CS (going by what you've said) you'd be better off with economics. No point going to a uni 100 places lower on league tables for a subject you don't even know much about.

Alternatively, a gap year might be appropriate.

Thank you for the reply.

Well, I had an offer from UCL to read Information Management for Business, partially because I had the right work experience, which I forgot to mention. I've managed to set up and successfully maintain 4 computer clubs in home city in Russia and some other work experience not directly connected with IT but with business management. But this year, I think of applying to straight Computer Science.

Essentially I am worried that I will not be prepared for the future, and that not knowing computers systems I would not get far in life. But this is long run. So what do you think?
Original post by Fortunatus
Thank you for the reply.

Well, I had an offer from UCL to read Information Management for Business, partially because I had the right work experience, which I forgot to mention. I've managed to set up and successfully maintain 4 computer clubs in home city in Russia and some other work experience not directly connected with IT but with business management. But this year, I think of applying to straight Computer Science.

Essentially I am worried that I will not be prepared for the future, and that not knowing computers systems I would not get far in life. But this is long run. So what do you think?

All I'll say is, do what you enjoy, life is too short. One that can actually make up their mind as to what they want to study is blessed indeed.
Reply 26
So can one prepare himself for future of technology without doing CS at uni?
Original post by Fortunatus
So can one prepare himself for future of technology without doing CS at uni?

It's not as if you will never use a computer again. These days if you wanna learn anything just google it.
Reply 28
It's not as if you will never use a computer again. These days if you wanna learn anything just google it.

Obviously man, but I'm talking about the knowledge required to set up an efficient business etc.

Quick Reply