The Student Room Group

drop out and reapply?

hey guys, if anyone has any advice/guidance on this it would be great:smile:

I am currently 2 weeks into my course at a london uni and due to health problems have missed mostly all my lectures. The course was my 2nd choice, and my 1st choice was also at the same uni but i was rejected because my predicted grades AAb were too low.

from the looks at it, this will continue and i wont be able to do as good as i could do because of a whole number of health/personal issues. I have been discussing with my parents dropping out and reapplying for 2012 entry. i got A*AA at a level and would hope to be accepted at a good uni.

the problem is this. will it show on my ucas that i dropped out? will it affect my application? do i have to put in my personal statement my health issues and if/why i dropped out?

also, if i reapply to the same uni but for my 1st choice course will the fact that i dropped out of a previous course at the same uni affect whether i am accepted or not?

sorry if its complicated :colondollar:
i know its not interesting but i need help :frown:

BUMP!
Reply 2
Woah, dude it's freaky how similar your situation is to mine.
I'm also struggling with whether I should drop out and reapply again next year.
Have you thought about which Uni's you would apply to next year - and what course?
Do you have a personal statement prepped? Because with A*AA you got a decent chance at Oxbridge.
I suppose at the end of the line, it's a personal decision you have to make, and you have to live with the consequences - good or bad.
I'm not sure, but I think you might have to put a line or two into your personal statement that your dropped out.
PM me if you wanna talk more.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Type "dropping out " into search box on TSR and look in left hand column for useful links .
You are so not alone ......
Reply 4
Right hand column ,sorry
Original post by telliman
Woah, dude it's freaky how similar your situation is to mine.
I'm also struggling with whether I should drop out and reapply again next year.
Have you thought about which Uni's you would apply to next year - and what course?
Do you have a personal statement prepped? Because with A*AA you got a decent chance at Oxbridge.
I suppose at the end of the line, it's a personal decision you have to make, and you have to live with the consequences - good or bad.
I'm not sure, but I think you might have to put a line or two into your personal statement that your dropped out.
PM me if you wanna talk more.

i would reapply to kings for war studies, lse for international relations, st andrews i think. yeah its a difficult decision, its nice meeting someone who's in the same situation:biggrin:
where/what are you studying?
oxbridge is not really an option, I would love to go just for the prestige but they dont have the course that i want.

have you made your decision?
I havent started my personal statement yet because everything is so up in the air:eek:

im bieng too indecisive. :colondollar:
Reply 6
You might be able to just transfer within the uni if you achieved the correct grades for your first choice of course.
Original post by aliluvschoc
You might be able to just transfer within the uni if you achieved the correct grades for your first choice of course.

I cant:frown: The department im in doesn't allow transfers, even though the degree I want does allow them. Its really bloody annoying:mad:
Reply 8
Don't forget about increasing tuition fees, that could make a big difference.

Or do you live in Wales, like me, which is very handy in that situation.
Reply 9
[QUOTE="maxcartwright;34273215"]i would reapply to kings for war studies, lse for international relations, st andrews i think. yeah its a difficult decision, its nice meeting someone who's in the same situation:biggrin:
oxbridge is not really an option, I would love to go just for the prestige but they dont have the course that i want.

I havent started my personal statement yet because everything is so up in the air:eek:

im bieng too indecisive. :colondollar:[/QUOTE

Philo at UCL

I think in this climate, I might as well stay in and get a job afterwards. It's just three years of my life, I guess.
[QUOTE="telliman;34276965"]
Original post by maxcartwright
i would reapply to kings for war studies, lse for international relations, st andrews i think. yeah its a difficult decision, its nice meeting someone who's in the same situation:biggrin:

im bieng too indecisive. :colondollar:[/QUOTE

Philo at UCL

I think in this climate, I might as well stay in and get a job afterwards. It's just three years of my life, I guess.

what 'climate'? the fee raise or lack of jobs?
Reply 11
Both, man. I guess this is like a pretty bad time for dropping out for me.
But it is so tempting...
Original post by telliman
Both, man. I guess this is like a pretty bad time for dropping out for me.
But it is so tempting...

guess it just depends on how much you want to enjoy those 3 years:s-smilie:
Kind of in the same situation, but thing is I've already had a gap year and if I drop out now and reapply i'm not sure on how the universites I apply to will view my drop out and whether or not i'll get any offers as it'll be my 3rd time applying :/
I dropped out in the first 7 weeks at University and you don't have to declare on your UCAS that you have been to University (like dropped out) before especially if you left early enough to not have to pay tuition fees. Best decision I've made but also it was the hardest. Choose wisely!!
Original post by sophiekatina
I dropped out in the first 7 weeks at University and you don't have to declare on your UCAS that you have been to University (like dropped out) before especially if you left early enough to not have to pay tuition fees. Best decision I've made but also it was the hardest. Choose wisely!!

thank you :biggrin:

why did you drop out? I really want to right now but my parents want me to give it a couple weeks. If i drop out before november I dont have to pay for the years tuition. Its just hard feeling like you've let people down although I got good a levels so i will get in somewhere again hopefully:colondollar:
Original post by maxcartwright
thank you :biggrin:

why did you drop out? I really want to right now but my parents want me to give it a couple weeks. If i drop out before november I dont have to pay for the years tuition. Its just hard feeling like you've let people down although I got good a levels so i will get in somewhere again hopefully:colondollar:

I hated my course and couldn't get into it. I had to make a quick decision and I outweighed whether a boring gap year would outweigh three years of not enjoying my course. My parents said that too, so I think you should at least wait until the last week of October before you decide. But I'm sure like most people and myself, you know already deep down if you want to drop out or not.

The thing is I got good A-Levels too, got into a really high RG University and was on a good course. However at the end of the day your welfare is better than a so-called 'good' degree.

It was the best but HARDEST decision I've ever made. It gave me a few months to properly research courses I really wanted to do!

Best of luck though, any questions you have just ask as I'm probably one of the best people to ask as I've been there and done it!!
Original post by sophiekatina
I hated my course and couldn't get into it. I had to make a quick decision and I outweighed whether a boring gap year would outweigh three years of not enjoying my course. My parents said that too, so I think you should at least wait until the last week of October before you decide. But I'm sure like most people and myself, you know already deep down if you want to drop out or not.

The thing is I got good A-Levels too, got into a really high RG University and was on a good course. However at the end of the day your welfare is better than a so-called 'good' degree.

It was the best but HARDEST decision I've ever made. It gave me a few months to properly research courses I really wanted to do!

Best of luck though, any questions you have just ask as I'm probably one of the best people to ask as I've been there and done it!!

:smile: im choosing courses now. ive got 3 and need 2 more. yeah i feel bad but my parents are saying the same thing, theres no point in doing a degree you dont want for 3 years.

Problem is i have no where to live, cant go home because parents are going through a nasty divorce and my grandparents are ill so i cant stay with them. so im kind of stuck. gah:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending