The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

I just wanted to ask:
History AS comprises of two units equally weighed. If I have an A grade OVERALL on AS History yet, in one unit I have a B and in the second I have a high A which brought my overall grade to an A. Does that mean I can achieve an A* at A level? Or did I need, grade A in first unit and grade A in second Unit then 90% in A2?

EDIT: I just read the above comment which I think means I should be able to
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 921
Original post by MindlessRobot
I just wanted to ask:
History AS comprises of two units equally weighed. If I have an A grade OVERALL on AS History yet, in one unit I have a B and in the second I have a high A which brought my overall grade to an A. Does that mean I can achieve an A* at A level? Or did I need, grade A in first unit and grade A in second Unit then 90% in A2?

EDIT: I just read the above comment which I think means I should be able to

You just need 80% overall and 90% at A2, it doesn't matter what you get in individual units.
Reply 922
Original post by Good bloke
Yes you can. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't check your original question when you said your teacher differed from the OP. The OP is correct, so I don't understand why you claimed your teacher was contradicting it.

No worries. I took the bit where it says ‘you need to achieve an A grade across all the A Level units’ to mean that you need to get an A in every unit. Hence why I thought my teacher was contradicting it by telling me my B in unit one was fine.
Original post by Gemini92
You just need 80% overall and 90% at A2, it doesn't matter what you get in individual units.

Okay, thankyou that's awesome...

...buut not so. Is that the case with all exams? By that I mean English Literature AQA, which is weighted 60-40, exam and coursework.

I ask this because, I'm redoing my coursework unit this year and hope that I will achieve an A at AS. I asked my English teacher that if I do get an A in coursework and it pulls my overall grade to an A, would I still be able to get an A* grade...and she said-no. She said this because I still would not have achieved an A in both units, as in my exam I got a B (one mark off an A.)
Since I needed an A* for my Uni course, I thought I should then remark my English paper ONLY BECAUSE I was one mark away and thought through a remark I may be able to pick up that mark. Worst case, I may lose a few marks, but I didn't mind as the grade was initially very high so even if I lost a few marks the grade would still be the same.

However, now on this thread I've heard that it doesn't matter about each unit. I have LOST 18 UMS marks from my remark, which mean my OVERALL grade has dropped...and I only remarked as my teacher(who did I mention is the head of english lit course at my college) said I needed an A in both units.
I would never have taken the risk of a remark if I knew I only needed an A overall at AS.

Right now I'm hoping you'll tell me my teacher was right when talking about this specific course...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MindlessRobot

Right now I'm hoping you'll tell me my teacher was right when talking about this specific course...

Sadly, he wasn't.
Sadly, he wasn't.

Don't know whether to laugh or to cry
Reply 926
What if I get an "AAB" for my AS Physics but a percentile of 93%?
Does this mean I do not stand a chance to score an A* for Physics even if I score 90% and above during A2?
Original post by ziwang
What if I get an "AAB" for my AS Physics but a percentile of 93%?
Does this mean I do not stand a chance to score an A* for Physics even if I score 90% and above during A2?

Read the first post of this thread.
so I have:

AS - 78/120 and 60/80
and A2 - 116/120, Techincally id need AT LEAST 66/80 to get an A*?!
Reply 929
Original post by treacletart01
so I have:

AS - 78/120 and 60/80
and A2 - 116/120, Techincally id need AT LEAST 66/80 to get an A*?!

Yes, that's right.
Reply 930
My maths teacher says that you can't achieve an A* by resitting C3 or C4 and that it has to be your first attempt (in order to achieve A*). But she says it's not true. She says it's a new rule that came in this year. Is this true?
Thanks.
Original post by Eco_star
My maths teacher says that you can't achieve an A* by resitting C3 or C4 and that it has to be your first attempt (in order to achieve A*). But she says it's not true. She says it's a new rule that came in this year. Is this true?
Thanks.

This is nonsense. You can have re-sits of C3 and C4 to get an A* grade. The equivalent applies to any subject.
Reply 932
This is nonsense. You can have re-sits of C3 and C4 to get an A* grade. The equivalent applies to any subject.

Thank you :biggrin:
Do only C3 and C4 count as A2 in maths :\ ?
Reply 934
Original post by qwerty54321

Only C3 and C4 count towards the A* in maths (although you still need 80% overall), the reason for this is that some people do 4 AS units and 2 A2 units whilst others do 3 of each.
Original post by qwerty54321

Maths is a six unit A level, with three units in the A2, including C3 and C4 (which are what matter for an A* grade).

Original post by Gemini92
Only C3 and C4 count towards the A* in maths

That wasn't quite the question he asked, was it?
Reply 936
Maths is a six unit A level, with three units in the A2, including C3 and C4 (which are what matter for an A* grade).

Saw the thread it was in and misread it.

Thanks to you both :biggrin: .. even though I'm a she not a he!

Do you mean 3 units at A2 level? I'm doing mechanics AS, stats AS, and c1,c2,c3,c4. So although I am taking stats AS when I am doing c3 and c4. I only need 90% in c3 and c4 and only 80% on the AS stats? (even though I am taking the same time as c3 and c4?)
Reply 939
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Do you mean 3 units at A2 level? I'm doing mechanics AS, stats AS, and c1,c2,c3,c4. So although I am taking stats AS when I am doing c3 and c4. I only need 90% in c3 and c4 and only 80% on the AS stats? (even though I am taking the same time as c3 and c4?)

You need 90% average across C3 and C4 and 80% average across all 6 modules.

Quick Reply