The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DDSB
Saw you did well on ukcat. Congrats! I had mine today. Didn't do as well as I was hoping- got 682.5. Think i am going to have to reconsider my choices as I was thinking about Glasgow and Newcasle :/
I really have to crack on with my ps - barely changed it from last year!!

think you should be fine with your UKCAT for Glasgow (last year 652.5 cut-off) and possibly Newcastle (667.5) but the latter is a bit riskier. So hard to tell if cut-offs will rise as usual or be less due to funding situation reducing applicant numbers?! LAst year, I took a punt on Newcastle but missed out by 7.5 marks...it is hard to decide but usually there is at least one risky choice in the four for most people.

Good luck!:wink:
Reply 4021
After my trip to Newcastle, VERY pleased with everything there, so thats definitely going in.

Now though, I'm struggling to decide what to put down. 3 and a half hour train journey wasn't particularly fun, and was just on the border of what I'd be happy doing. Which basically means going to Glasgow means not coming back home much at all. With a boyfriend who lives in Birmingham, that doesn't particularly appeal :/

I'm thinking of switching back and applying to Peninsula (Sheffield and Leicester are definites) but I'm trying to work out why I suddenly went off it, so I can make a proper decision.

Ahh, what do i dooooo?!?!

Can anyone advertise peninsula to me :biggrin:
Well, I really don't feel like working on my personal statement today....
Reply 4023
Original post by fallenangel
That makes two of us :dance: (apologies; the emotion makes me laugh haha)

Ahh - I'm genuinely excited for starting leicester next year. I've spoken to a couple of the 1st/2nd years there - and they really make you feel as though you'll be part of the family plus the pastoral staff there are meant to amazing - can't wait!

Going to the open day? Or applying to Leicester?
Reply 4024
Original post by Lookout
People should know by now where they are applying by now and should have done their research. There may me candidates who really genuinely want to study in Glasgow with a perfectly good score of 660 or something. You may think you are being helpful with your advice but you are only encouraging really high ukcat scorers to apply thus making the average go up this then ruins the chances for people who actually want to go there.

I'm sorry, but this just sounds a bit silly. I started my research back in May, and I'm still undecided. DOesn't mean I don't 'geniunely want to study' anywhere, it just means I can't decide. Same with soo many other people. You should know that where you apply to study for any subject is a toss up between where you REALLY want to go, and where you think you're likely to get in. I went round Imperial, and really liked it. But I know that I would be rubbish at the BMAT, and so my chances of getting in are pretty slim.

Nobody would apply to a university they really don't want to go to.
Reply 4025
Original post by twelve
I'm sorry, but this just sounds a bit silly. I started my research back in May, and I'm still undecided. DOesn't mean I don't 'geniunely want to study' anywhere, it just means I can't decide. Same with soo many other people. You should know that where you apply to study for any subject is a toss up between where you REALLY want to go, and where you think you're likely to get in. I went round Imperial, and really liked it. But I know that I would be rubbish at the BMAT, and so my chances of getting in are pretty slim.

Nobody would apply to a university they really don't want to go to.

Yeah. Sadly sometimes we have to look at where we can go first, then look at where we want to go.

Edinburgh would be my dream choice...
Reply 4026
Original post by twelve
After my trip to Newcastle, VERY pleased with everything there, so thats definitely going in.

Now though, I'm struggling to decide what to put down. 3 and a half hour train journey wasn't particularly fun, and was just on the border of what I'd be happy doing. Which basically means going to Glasgow means not coming back home much at all. With a boyfriend who lives in Birmingham, that doesn't particularly appeal :/

I'm thinking of switching back and applying to Peninsula (Sheffield and Leicester are definites) but I'm trying to work out why I suddenly went off it, so I can make a proper decision.

I guess your UKCAT was immense :frown: I hate you! :colondollar:

anyway, I phoned Peninsula and they said with good academics, chances are you'll get an interview.

I'm also not sure about Glasgow. But not about the longs trips because PMS and BSMS are about as far away as Glasgow, but because I don't know enough about it. Is it a nice place?

I should really go on an open day.
Reply 4027
Original post by sweetchilli
Glasgow. you'll get an interview with that if you meet the academics. :wink:

How come? I think I should meet the cutoff (675) but I'm not sure what other factors are taken into account (other than meeting academci requirements). Perhaps this could help me assess my chances :colone:
Reply 4028
Original post by pan_93
Does anyone think i have made any mistakes with my choices this year? Last year was the biggest disaster ever, getting rejected from everywhere without interview!! :frown: I don't want to make the same mistake twice. So again, have i made a mistake with anyone?

I definitely did! A few phone calls last year might have saved me a year out and triple the fees. I don't know where you applied last year, but I understand how you may feel :colone:
Original post by Seb
How come? I think I should meet the cutoff (675) but I'm not sure what other factors are taken into account (other than meeting academci requirements). Perhaps this could help me assess my chances :colone:

Glasgow assess academics and then order those who meet them by UKCAT scores. The top 800 get an interview. thereafter they use your PS and reference to gear their interview questions. once at interview chances are ~50% of getting an offer. They give out approx. 400 offers.

They took on 276 this year -huge intake but mainly as lots of people had Glasgow as their insurance and missed their firm.

feel free to ask me any other questions!

hth
Original post by Lookout
People should know by now where they are applying by now and should have done their research. There may me candidates who really genuinely want to study in Glasgow with a perfectly good score of 660 or something. You may think you are being helpful with your advice but you are only encouraging really high ukcat scorers to apply thus making the average go up this then ruins the chances for people who actually want to go there.

The advice was specifically for Dr. Galaxy as she is undecided on where else to apply. I'm sure she has done his research but as a 1st year at Glasgow who got interviewed by the skin of my teeth (UKCAT cut-off was 652.5 and I had that reasonable score of 660) I am only stating what is likely. I am not encouraging HIGH UKCAT holders to apply any more than their own research will tell them that with such a score, Glasgow is a pretty safe choice to ensure an interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4031
Original post by Seb
I definitely did! A few phone calls last year might have saved me a year out and triple the fees. I don't know where you applied last year, but I understand how you may feel :colone:

yeah last year i applied to cambridge, notts, bristol and kings....and now looking back i was a right idiot. this year i've gone for ucl, bart, peninsula and hyms which should give me a better chance. well i hope so atleast
Original post by Seb
I guess your UKCAT was immense :frown: I hate you! :colondollar:

anyway, I phoned Peninsula and they said with good academics, chances are you'll get an interview.

I'm also not sure about Glasgow. But not about the longs trips because PMS and BSMS are about as far away as Glasgow, but because I don't know enough about it. Is it a nice place?

I should really go on an open day.

Think the Open day would be a good idea for Glasgow. I could absolutely sell it to you if you want (I'm a native) and it is a fabulous city but maybe that would be too biased for you to make a proper, subjective decision. If you want more info, I'm happy to help! :smile:
Reply 4033
Original post by twelve

Glad you like Newcastle! Your ukcat is really good so you could try more ukcat hungry unis.How about Nottingham? Or Leeds?
Reply 4034
Original post by oldbatty
Glad you like Newcastle! Your ukcat is really good so you could try more ukcat hungry unis.How about Nottingham? Or Leeds?

Neither are too far from Birmingham!!!
Reply 4035
Original post by twelve

What about Birmingham - your academics are good?
Reply 4036

Yeahh, thats what I've been trying to do. I applied to Leeds last year, and although I know I would have improved my score just by finishing A levels and my UKCAT, I'm not sure I fully understand the reasons for my PS not being up to scratch. I know its better, but I don't really know by how much, so I think it would be a bit of a risk.
Reply 4037
What about Birmingham - your academics are good?

Not good enough for Birmingham. MY GCSE's were the reason for being rejected from Birmingham without interview last year.
Reply 4038
Original post by twelve
Not good enough for Birmingham. MY GCSE's were the reason for being rejected from Birmingham without interview last year.

Nottingham would love you!
Reply 4039
Original post by sweetchilli
Think the Open day would be a good idea for Glasgow. I could absolutely sell it to you if you want (I'm a native) and it is a fabulous city but maybe that would be too biased for you to make a proper, subjective decision. If you want more info, I'm happy to help! :smile:

when I read that you were native, I started reading it in a scottish accent lol

Yes please try and sell it to me. I mean, I still like it, but it's so difficult to choose just 4 choices (from about 12 that can accept me). Since you a local, could you tell me what the area is like (especially around the uni)? also, should I be scared to be outside when an Old firm match is being played? :colone:

Also, thanks so much you your help with how they choose interviewees!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending