The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4240
Best of luck to everyone moving in today!

Original post by SamF1992
My Mum is effectively currently playing real life tetris with the stuff that I'm taking trying to fit it in the car :biggrin:

Won't let me or my Dad help for fear of ruining her system :P

Just make sure she doesn't forget you need to fit in eventually too. Or you could take the train, I guess. :p:
I know this question has probably already been asked and I'm sure the answer varies from College to College, but I'm curious as to roughly how much, excluding accommodation costs, first term battels are likely to be?
Reply 4242
Original post by The Anti-Hero
I know this question has probably already been asked and I'm sure the answer varies from College to College, but I'm curious as to roughly how much, excluding accommodation costs, first term battels are likely to be?

This gives you a summary of likely costs, although I think it does very massively across colleges. You should be able to find accomodation/food costs on the college website.

Original post by micky022
She's using Sam as a special any-block to fill gaps :tongue:

Original post by flywithemma
I've just found out the hotel I'm staying in in Oxford tomorrow used to be a prison :lolwut:
Not sure how keen I am to stay there now D:

Wow money money! That place is expensive! It was on the TV. The word "luxury" was used many many times.
Original post by zigzog7
I have star wars monopoly :biggrin:

I love monopoly! My grandad was teaching me how to play monopoly and chess but then he sadly died so I never really played either to a good standard. Chess I can leave (too much maths) but I'd love to retry monopoly! I learnt on the Yorkshire version, so Im intriuged to see what StarWars v. looks like.
Reply 4245
Original post by Fang_RedDragon
I love monopoly! My grandad was teaching me how to play monopoly and chess but then he sadly died so I never really played either to a good standard. Chess I can leave (too much maths) but I'd love to retry monopoly! I learnt on the Yorkshire version, so Im intriuged to see what StarWars v. looks like.

I do not like Monopoly.
Original post by dbmag9

I do not like Monopoly.

Oh. Wow. Ok.
Well, you know what they say, if you really love hate something, say it with flowers dinosaurs!
Wow money money! That place is expensive! It was on the TV. The word "luxury" was used many many times.

Ooh, that's quite exciting.

I can assure you my dad probably booked it because there was some sort of offer on meaning it wasn't expensive. :P he's an accountant, and from Yorkshire, and therefore is very very mean with money! :s-smilie:

Original post by Abyss of Stars
Don't worry!!!! That place is brilliant, lovely rooms, very quiet. Are you a history student???? Thomas cranmer was imprisoned there before his exectution, I think in the rooms which are now pizza express!!! Lol

That's so cool! I read a review where it was described as being quiet because of the 'very thick walls'...interesting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4248
Original post by physicsfuntimes

I used to have pokemon monopoly...

I still have pokemon monopoly... :colondollar:
Reply 4249
Oh. Wow. Ok.
Well, you know what they say, if you really love hate something, say it with flowers dinosaurs!

I didn't actually write the comic, honest. It just conveys pretty accurately my opinion on Monopoly (and most other board games, for that matter).
Reply 4250
Original post by dbmag9
I didn't actually write the comic, honest. It just conveys pretty accurately my opinion on Monopoly (and most other board games, for that matter).

This is quite unfair. Most board games are much, much better than Monopoly.
Original post by flywithemma
Ooh, that's quite exciting.

I can assure you my dad probably booked it because there was some sort of offer on meaning it wasn't expensive. :P he's an accountant, and from Yorkshire, and therefore is very very mean with money! :s-smilie:

That's so cool! I read a review where it was described as being quiet because of the 'very thick walls'...interesting.

Thats the way to do it! We once stayed for 1 night in a snazzy 4* hotel, because it was cheaper than the Holiday Inn!
Well I've finished packing (basically). One large suitcase, 2 boxes, 4 large bags, and The Printer.

I think that's a respectable amount...
Reply 4253
Original post by rahyahrah
Well I've finished packing (basically). One large suitcase, 2 boxes, 4 large bags, and The Printer.

I think that's a respectable amount...

Haven't started yet, have got nothing "essential" yet either.

Last minute trip to the 24hr ASDA FTW.
Reply 4254
Urgh I've got too much. 1 large suitcase, 1 large holdall, 1 small holdall, 3 large crates, and loose stuff (violin, duvet, drinks etc.)
I think I'm pretty much finished. One suitcase which is packed with smart clothes, a large sports bag with overflow shirts and less smart stuff, and a small rucksack with shoes. Then there are various bags with electronic stuff, laundry/bathroomy things, a shoulder bag filled with papers/folders/stationery and another with drinks and tea stuff. Still have to find a box for my books and crockery, oh and speakers. Must have decent quality sounds. So relieved I'm going up in our van. Considering taking my record player too.

So, I'm certainly not finished. Might have to miss Downton Abbey tonight!
Original post by deFossard

That is too high a price to pay for organisation!
Reply 4257
Original post by deFossard

Oxford is not worth that kind of sacrifice.
Original post by thurin
Oxford is not worth that kind of sacrifice.

I don't know why I watch it. Nothing happens, I get teased by some cool explosions in the trenches, then we're back to watching maids run around a big house. But Sybil is hot. Madly hot. That's why I watch it.
Original post by -mai-
I still have pokemon monopoly... :colondollar:

Same! Although I forget to play tactically and just pick the Pokemon I like best to buy :colondollar:

(my college has a 90s night on Thursday so I'm going as Pikachu :cool: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending