The Student Room Group

Rearranging a suvat equation

I'm fairly poor at rearranging these types of equations, and was wondering how I could rearrange:

s=(u+v2)ts=(\frac{u+v}{2})t

to find vv?
Reply 1
s/t = (u+v)/2

2s/t = u+v

2s/t - v = u
Reply 2
Original post by najinaji
I'm fairly poor at rearranging these types of equations, and was wondering how I could rearrange:

to find vv?

There is often no need to rearrange. Just put what you know in the correct position and solve.
Reply 3
Original post by najinaji

to find vv?

You should try and find time to practice some equations to rearrange. Otherwise in the future with difficult problems it will put you at a severe handicap.

A tip for getting better at these would be to invent your own 'technique' for it, by this I mean coming up with little quirky rules in your head that make it easy to remember.

But regardless of how you learn it, the best way to become proficient at something is repetition!

And sorry if by any chance I am coming across as patronising, it's really not my intention.
Reply 4
Original post by goodfellow
You should try and find time to practice some equations to rearrange. Otherwise in the future with difficult problems it will put you at a severe handicap.

A tip for getting better at these would be to invent your own 'technique' for it, by this I mean coming up with little quirky rules in your head that make it easy to remember.

But regardless of how you learn it, the best way to become proficient at something is repetition!

And sorry if by any chance I am coming across as patronising, it's really not my intention.

If you are doing mechanics, then although you should be able to rearrange formula, it is usually quicker ,easier and much better to use the standard formula and insert the unknowns into the correct position. Dealing with actual numbers is much the best way.
Reply 5
Thank you to everyone who replied! I'll try and put in some real numbers and see if it works.
Original post by steve2005
There is often no need to rearrange. Just put what you know in the correct position and solve.

I'm fairly sure people know that you can put values into this equation.....
Might not be obvious from the picture but he/she wants to find 'v' not 'u'

Quick Reply

Latest