The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rsp
Waw ! not suprised at your interview, that is amazing!! what BMAT uni u applying to?

Original post by rsp
to much of a risk applying to birm with 8A* GCSE right?

If you got most or all As at AS, good predicted grades and a personal statement you're confident with I'd say go for it, especially if you really like the uni! All the best!
Reply 7541
Original post by instrumentalist
If you got most or all As at AS, good predicted grades and a personal statement you're confident with I'd say go for it, especially if you really like the uni! All the best!

i do like uni just scared as i think it might be a bit stupid got AAAB at As and A*A*AA predicted. Ps not so sure about. :frown: its so scary making decision that will cahnge your life!
Reply 7542
Hey guys, im just about to apply but someone just confused me about my personal statement. basically im applying for biochem as my 5th option, and they told me i should include that in my personal statement. I want to know whether i should include it or i should keep my personal statement purely about medicine? Thank you
Original post by anikap
Hey guys, im just about to apply but someone just confused me about my personal statement. basically im applying for biochem as my 5th option, and they told me i should include that in my personal statement. I want to know whether i should include it or i should keep my personal statement purely about medicine? Thank you

100% medicine. Talking about biochem will make you seem not very commited to medicine.
Reply 7544
If you only got 2 As in GCSE, would any medical school still accept you?
Original post by Peju
If you only got 2 As in GCSE, would any medical school still accept you?

Yes, some do: read through this. :biggrin:
Sent mine away *gulp*
My HOY has written me a really wonderful reference, I hope it helps - what with Bristol's selection process being 20% grades, 80% PS / reference.

All starting to get real now!
Reply 7547
Aberdeen or glasgow??
Reply 7548
how does leeds select for interview??
Original post by Sophia56
how does leeds select for interview??

You get given a score out of 46, 24 points for personal statement, 6 for reference, 16 for GCSEs/A levels and you can get one bonus point if your UKCAT average is above 700. The highest scoring applicants get an interview, IIRC you needed around 38 to get an interview last year.
Reply 7550
Does anyone know how glasgow rate applications before interview? I heard that they use the ukcat and just use your academics to check whether you meet minimum entry requirements, but i'm not sure?
Reply 7551
Hey need some advice where to apply and what my chances are

GCSES - 6 A*s 3 As 1 C ( yh i know i hate French)

AS - A - CHEM A - BIO A - GEOG B - ECON (resitting in jan to get A, but will this help)

A2 predictions - A*AA

UKCAT - 612.5 ( I know poor )

Voluntary - special needs school, hospital, primary school , special needs sports

Work exp - Pathology lab, GP surgery , Orthopaedic and trauma adult, paediatric orthopaedic, anesthesilogist. Was able to go in to theatre

thinking of applying

Liverpool
St Georges
Bristol
Keele/Leeds

What do you think my chances of getting an interview or place with my choices, general advice would be great too.

My personal statement is coming a long well too

reeeeealllly would appreciate some help and advice and feed back
Reply 7552
Original post by Normandy114
You get given a score out of 46, 24 points for personal statement, 6 for reference, 16 for GCSEs/A levels and you can get one bonus point if your UKCAT average is above 700. The highest scoring applicants get an interview, IIRC you needed around 38 to get an interview last year.

is the ratio of applicants to offers 17:1? i read that somewhere does that sound about right? apart from bonus point how is ukcat used?
Reply 7553
Applging to belfast dundee liverpool and possibly edinburgh, but dont think im good enough for edinburgh. I have 8 A*s at gcse 4As at AS predicted A*A*A. lowish ukcat of 662.5 and have mencap voluntary work, hospital ward voluntary work, nursing home voluntary work, violin to grade 7 plus orchestra, swimming club for 12years and lifesaving club-bronze medallion, and have grade 3 iceskating and speech and drama(perhaps irrelevant) and have been a member of basketball and rowing club.oh and IM FROM NORTHERN IRELAND.(which seems to be a huge rejection factor)
ANY CHANCE FOR EDINBURGH?:frown:
Reply 7554
Original post by hak123
Hey need some advice where to apply and what my chances are

GCSES - 6 A*s 3 As 1 C ( yh i know i hate French)

AS - A - CHEM A - BIO A - GEOG B - ECON (resitting in jan to get A, but will this help)

A2 predictions - A*AA

UKCAT - 612.5 ( I know poor )

Voluntary - special needs school, hospital, primary school , special needs sports

Work exp - Pathology lab, GP surgery , Orthopaedic and trauma adult, paediatric orthopaedic, anesthesilogist. Was able to go in to theatre

thinking of applying

Liverpool
St Georges
Bristol
Keele/Leeds

What do you think my chances of getting an interview or place with my choices, general advice would be great too.

My personal statement is coming a long well too

reeeeealllly would appreciate some help and advice and feed back

youre straight into liverpool youre personal statement sounds UNREAL
is the ratio of applicants to offers 17:1? i read that somewhere does that sound about right? apart from bonus point how is ukcat used?

Applications : Offers for last year was 8:1; so not as bad as you read, although applications : places was 15.4:1.
And as far as I know UKCAT is used solely for the one bonus point, I don't think it is used post-interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Normandy114
Applications : Offers for last year was 8:1; so not as bad as you read, although applications : places was 15.4:1.
And as far as I know UKCAT is used solely for the one bonus point, I don't think it is used post-interview.

Actually, according to the Leeds website, it is considered in the later stages of the interview process.

That said, I know quite a few people who have got in there modest UKCAT scores.
Reply 7557
Original post by Straight up G
Actually, according to the Leeds website, it is considered in the later stages of the interview process.

That said, I know quite a few people who have got in there modest UKCAT scores.

i have 662.5 in ukcat so what then? obv i dont get the bonus point but how else do they use that? im put off the 15:1 ratio so not sure whether or not to apply!
i have 662.5 in ukcat so what then? obv i dont get the bonus point but how else do they use that? im put off the 15:1 ratio so not sure whether or not to apply!

Off their website FAQs

'What UKCAT score do I need and how do you use it?
There is no predetermined cut-off score. All applicants applying for entry must take the test between June and October the year prior to the year they wish to join the course. The scores will be considered when the assessors look at the whole of the application which includes the personal statement, academic background and referee’s statement.'

I've also read elsewhere on the site (can't find it atm) that aside from the 700+ bonus point pre-interview, they consider it post-interview as well. I don't know how highly, but like I said, I know people who have gotten in with worse scores than yours (580, 620).
Reply 7559
Original post by Straight up G
Off their website FAQs

'What UKCAT score do I need and how do you use it?
There is no predetermined cut-off score. All applicants applying for entry must take the test between June and October the year prior to the year they wish to join the course. The scores will be considered when the assessors look at the whole of the application which includes the personal statement, academic background and referee’s statement.'

I've also read elsewhere on the site (can't find it atm) that aside from the 700+ bonus point pre-interview, they consider it post-interview as well. I don't know how highly, but like I said, I know people who have gotten in with worse scores than yours (580, 620).

It says here. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

Why am I negged for this? I was just giving reference as to where you can find more info about it. :/
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending