The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So I'm trying to prepare for potential interview and I'm about to start looking at some STEP. Where should I start in regards to STEP? and would it be better to continue doing BMO questions or move onto STEP? Thanks guys.
Original post by maths134
So I'm trying to prepare for potential interview and I'm about to start looking at some STEP. Where should I start in regards to STEP? and would it be better to continue doing BMO questions or move onto STEP? Thanks guys.

I think moving onto STEP is the best strategy...cover the topics and attempt the questions. BMO questions are useful but I reckon STEP questions will be better preparation for a potential cambridge interview :biggrin:
Original post by MHRed
You won't have to bring in written work for the maths part :smile:

Haha good!! I didnt think so...But i thought i'd just check :smile:
I havent done/dont plan on doing STEP. Will that put me at a disadvantage or is it just for unis like oxbridge/warwick...?
Original post by BeccaCath94
I havent done/dont plan on doing STEP. Will that put me at a disadvantage or is it just for unis like oxbridge/warwick...?

No, it won't affect you unless you apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial or Bath-these are all the universities which use STEP that I know of.
Original post by jameswhughes
No, it won't affect you unless you apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial or Bath-these are all the universities which use STEP that I know of.

Oh ok thanks :smile: No i arent....im not aiming that high!!! haha :tongue:

I was just getting a bit worried with all the talk on here....everyone must be high achievers!!

Some other unis "encourage" it, e.g. Bristol say they give a STEP offer as well as the normal offer:
bris.ac.uk
For students who study Mathematics and Further Mathematics to A level, our standard offer is AAA, including Further Mathematics. An alternative offer of AA(Maths and Further Maths)B plus a grade 2 in STEP will be made to applicants holding this offer who are also taking STEP papers.

But don't worry BeccaCath94, I doubt it'll make much difference to most unis.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Some other unis "encourage" it, e.g. Bristol say they give a STEP offer as well as the normal offer:

But don't worry BeccaCath94, I doubt it'll make much difference to most unis.

Ahh thanks :smile: Im doing futher maths so if it is necessary then I hope that'll help, but ive not heard it mentioned at any open days/prospectuses so...

Oh ok thanks :smile: No i arent....im not aiming that high!!! haha :tongue:

I was just getting a bit worried with all the talk on here....everyone must be high achievers!!

If you think you might change your mind, don't worry about it for now-you don't need to mention anything about STEP on your application even if you are applying to somewhere that gives out STEP offers, and the deadline for entering is March/April, so you have some time. :smile:
If you think you might change your mind, don't worry about it for now-you don't need to mention anything about STEP on your application even if you are applying to somewhere that gives out STEP offers, and the deadline for entering is March/April, so you have some time. :smile:

I was thinking that, I probably won't mention STEP in my application because then the other universities will know that I'm atleast applying to Warwick. You agree with this?
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I was thinking that, I probably won't mention STEP in my application because then the other universities will know that I'm atleast applying to Warwick. You agree with this?

Yes, don't mention it. :smile: If they want you to do it, they'll tell you.

Thank you :smile: But i wont!! :tongue:
do you think starting october half term seems reasonable for STEP prep? ie for STEP itself and interview?
Yes, don't mention it. :smile: If they want you to do it, they'll tell you.

I've mentioned abit about STEP in my PS, now I'm thinking I should remove that too! Lol.
Reply 1694
Xero Xenith
(STEP II 2007 Q3, integrating 1/(a²+x²)... basically deriving an FP2 result then using it in odd ways. Wasn't too bad until the very last part, which really confused me for over an hour. I tried a few things before I realised my first idea was the right one )

I haven't done FP2 yet, but did you try it using hyperbolic functions? (cosh and sinh)
Reply 1695
Original post by House Dagoth
how is everyone's STEP prep going?

I can answer two questions within 1.5 hours on one paper with probably about 35 marks in total (2001 paper, (S/1/2/3 --> 85/66/50/41), so I have a lot of time to squeeze out extra marks for a grade 2.

Whereas on the 2002 paper (one of the hardest) I could barely answer any! (S/1/2/3 ---> 80/61/48/35). :s

But hey ho, I still have another 7 or so months

Which STEP paper ? I,II or III?
Reply 1696
Original post by maths134

Start on STEP I, you should be able to manage it once you get the knack for STEP. I haven't had a proper go at STEP II yet, but it doesn't seem that much harder than STEP I.

Just a general question to everyone, I am doing, maths, further maths, physics and economics this year. I have wrote on my UCAS form that I will be getting an A Level in economics at the end of the year (in the qualifications section), but if all my offers just require 3 A Levels, could I drop economics?
Original post by deejayy
Start on STEP I, you should be able to manage it once you get the knack for STEP. I haven't had a proper go at STEP II yet, but it doesn't seem that much harder than STEP I.

Just a general question to everyone, I am doing, maths, further maths, physics and economics this year. I have wrote on my UCAS form that I will be getting an A Level in economics at the end of the year (in the qualifications section), but if all my offers just require 3 A Levels, could I drop economics?

Oh hey, you're taking the same subjects combination as me! :wink: Well, I don't think you can drop Economics by now since you've already wrote it on your UCAS form, and you've registered it with the examination board.
Original post by deejayy

Dropping economics would be grounds for unis to deny you your place. However, if you do get an offer then you can ask the uni if it's ok to drop economics
Original post by deejayy
I haven't done FP2 yet, but did you try it using hyperbolic functions? (cosh and sinh)

STEP II does not rely on any Further Maths, so all questions are possible without going Further :smile: (And it's arctan - aka tan^(-1) - that works for this.)

Latest