The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jcb123
What is Leeds A2L?

Access to Leeds, it's an alternative admissions scheme. You can read about it here:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/A2L.html

:smile:
Reply 501
Original post by Ally312
Yeah, I know what you mean. I know I'm going to get a straight rejection from them anyway, but it was just a case of filling a space on the form, seeing as Foundation courses are really my only options right now.

What is your grade/UKCAT profile? (if you don't mind me asking)

Original post by jcb123
What is your grade/UKCAT profile? (if you don't mind me asking)

I don't mind... you told me yours after all lol :smile:

GCSE: 5A, 4A*
AS: CCDE in bio, chem, english language and maths respectively. :frown:
So many things went wrong during AS that I wouldn't know where to start if I told you
UKCAT: 595 (did it a few days after results day, and so had basically given up hope)
Reply 503
Original post by Ally312
I don't mind... you told me yours after all lol :smile:

GCSE: 5A, 4A*
AS: CCDE in bio, chem, english language and maths respectively. :frown:
So many things went wrong during AS that I wouldn't know where to start if I told you
UKCAT: 595 (did it a few days after results day, and so had basically given up hope)

Your in a better situation than me (sort of)... what are you predicted?
Original post by jcb123
Your in a better situation than me (sort of)... what are you predicted?

I am? How? You have much better grades than me :biggrin:

As dumb as this is going to sound, I don't know. I've already told the UCAS "person", I need a prediction of BBB/c (in AS maths) to have a good chance of the foundation year unis. I think thats what she'll put, but I'll be reminding her tomorrow to let her know this. My UCAS forms been sent to school now, so just got to talk to school about references and that stuff.
Reply 505
Original post by Ally312
I am? How? You have much better grades than me :biggrin:

As dumb as this is going to sound, I don't know. I've already told the UCAS "person", I need a prediction of BBB/c (in AS maths) to have a good chance of the foundation year unis. I think thats what she'll put, but I'll be reminding her tomorrow to let her know this. My UCAS forms been sent to school now, so just got to talk to school about references and that stuff.

Please could you explain the access to Leeds in more detail, as I really don't understand what it entails (i.e: grades wise, interview, what you have to do for it?)
Original post by jcb123
Please could you explain the access to Leeds in more detail, as I really don't understand what it entails (i.e: grades wise, interview, what you have to do for it?)

Access to Leeds is there to widen access to the University of Leeds. You submit your application through UCAS, and then you fill in an additional form, where you give more details about your income, background etc. Your referee also gives more details about you. All this allows Leeds, to consider your background and how it might have affected your education.

Then (and I think this might be right), you have to complete two essays and go to Saturday morning classes with Leeds, so they can see your potential. Then depending on how you do, you're given an interview, and after that maybe an offer. The offer will be a standard offer, so for Medicine AAA, and a A2L offer which is two grades lower, so ABB. You can only have the ABB offer if you firm Leeds.

Like I said, I'm not so sure on the rest of it, but I think thats the gist.

Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 507
Just sent my application. What a weight off my mind! It feels good :smile:
Reply 508
Original post by jcb123
UKCAT: 502.5

GCSE: 4 A*s, 4 As
AS: ABBC (Eng, Bio, Chem, Eco)
Predicted: AAA

Applying:

Brighton-Sussex (Med)
Leicester (Med)
Southampton (Foundation)
UEA (Foundation)
Cardiff (Biomed)

Where are you applying?

If you don't mind me asking.. why exactly are you applying to foundation courses such as BM6 when your academic profile is fantastic and good enough for 5-year courses?

Well done also on your profile, it seems very good :smile:
Reply 509
Original post by tobnot
Just sent my application. What a weight off my mind! It feels good :smile:

Wooo! Congrats, thats one stepping stone crossed..

Fingers crossed for you, I wish you the best of luck :crossedf:
Reply 510
Original post by xcoral23

Wooo! Congrats, thats one stepping stone crossed..

Fingers crossed for you, I wish you the best of luck :crossedf:

Thank you!

Are you any closer to sending your's???
Reply 511
If you don't mind me asking.. why exactly are you applying to foundation courses such as BM6 when your academic profile is fantastic and good enough for 5-year courses?

Well done also on your profile, it seems very good :smile:

My UKCAT score stops me applying to almost all 5 year courses. Plus my GCSEs and AS grades are fairly average compared to the majority of people... The other reason is personal (don't want anyone to copy my reason!)

Original post by Ally312
Access to Leeds, it's an alternative admissions scheme. You can read about it here:

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/A2L.html

:smile:

Hey can i apply to that A2L scheme if im from london?
Reply 513
Original post by tobnot
Thank you!

Are you any closer to sending your's???

No problem :smile:

I've almost finished my personal statement + waiting to hear back from a few universities then should be ready next week :smile:

Original post by jcb123
My UKCAT score stops me applying to almost all 5 year courses. Plus my GCSEs and AS grades are fairly average compared to the majority of people... The other reason is personal (don't want anyone to copy my reason!)

It's a real shame about your UKCAT as you probably had the potential to do much better.. Sometimes external factors can really mess you up..

And that's perfectly understandable, most people applying to the BM6 will have legit, personal reasons :smile:
Reply 514
No problem :smile:

I've almost finished my personal statement + waiting to hear back from a few universities then should be ready next week :smile:

It's a real shame about your UKCAT as you probably had the potential to do much better.. Sometimes external factors can really mess you up..

And that's perfectly understandable, most people applying to the BM6 will have legit, personal reasons :smile:

I don't know why I did so badly?! oh well, not the end of the world... always next year. Just this time round its really ****** up my chances of where I really wanted to apply to (Glasgow, Peninsula, Manchester, Newcastle)

S**t happens as they! :wink:
Reply 515
Original post by jcb123
I don't know why I did so badly?! oh well, not the end of the world... always next year. Just this time round its really ****** up my chances of where I really wanted to apply to (Glasgow, Peninsula, Manchester, Newcastle)

S**t happens as they! :wink:

There's no point in dwelling on the past, there's a reason for everything :smile:

Plus you still have options so all is not lost :smile:
I have used 47 lines even though I've only used 3400 characters :eek2:

:frown:
Original post by Ally312
Haha, get what you mean :smile:

My schools the same. Our sixth form is relatively new, and no one tends to apply to competitive courses or to Russell Group unis, so many teachers are quite clueless.

Thankfully I discovered TSR, with lovely people who are either in the same boat and so can support and disscuss and those who know what they're talking about and willing to help :smile:

I think alot of the schools/colleges' are the same really..

You just have to use your own initiative to deal with these problems..

I couldn't agree more :smile:

my school was the same...

so what I did was not listen to anything they said and just used my own common sense and TSR as my guide :biggrin:
how is everyone on here doing btw?

its been a while since I last looked on here...
Reply 519
Original post by infernalcradle

Original post by infernalcradle
how is everyone on here doing btw?

its been a while since I last looked on here...

My application is done and dusted! How's everything going with you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending