The Student Room Group

I Used To Be Fat Challenge

Has anyone else been watching "I used to be fat" on MTV? well basically if you haven't, it's overweight 18year olds spending a summer loosing loads of weight before they start uni (or college as they call it- silly Americans!).

Well, being a fat 18 year old about to go to uni in September, i have been inspired and just really want to shift some serious weight in order to feel more confident in my own skin so that starting uni and making new friends is a much less daunting prospect.

To get within a healthy range for my height, i need to loose around 4 stone, i aim to have lost this by the time i start uni.

I plan to do this through a calorie controlled diet and an extensive exercise regime, ive lost weight in the past, but this time i need to loose more and keep it off!

I'll chart my endeavours on my dieting journey on here, and any hints or tips are greatly appreciated! Also, if your doing anything similar, i would love to hear from you! Here goes...

Scroll to see replies

Good luck with losing the weight. If your looking for some constructive advice it would be helpful to know what your eatinga per day and how many cals. usually losing or maintaining weight is easy (think yourself lucky lol) its all about counting calories and doing plenty of exercise.
Reply 2
Stop taking inspiration from MTV, srsly
Reply 3
Original post by keira

Why not? I think its a quality idea. I could try it myself but i know its not going to happen, I could attempt it but I'd end up failing miserably.

Good luck :smile:
I think your goal is admirable but losing four stone in 4-5 months is hard going even with the nutrition and exercise support that TV programmes give to people. Perhaps cut yourself a little slack and aim for 2-3 stone weight loss...
Reply 5
Original post by KnockoffNeil

Original post by KnockoffNeil
Good luck with losing the weight. If your looking for some constructive advice it would be helpful to know what your eatinga per day and how many cals. usually losing or maintaining weight is easy (think yourself lucky lol) its all about counting calories and doing plenty of exercise.

thanks for the advice :smile: as unbelievable as it may sound, i do eat a pretty balanced diet of around 2000 kcal on a day to day basis, I just tend to binge on unhealthy food when I'm feeling down or just bored! whoops lol
Reply 6
Original post by PercyChatsworth

I think your goal is admirable but losing four stone in 4-5 months is hard going even with the nutrition and exercise support that TV programmes give to people. Perhaps cut yourself a little slack and aim for 2-3 stone weight loss...

thankyou :smile: yeahh, i know its not a healthy pace to loose weight at, but my outlook on things is that even if it's just 1stone that I loose between now and then , i will be happier than I am now with my weight :smile: but in the past I have been able to loose weight quite quickly usually at about 5/6 lbs a week at first, although it does plateau after a while! haha
Reply 7
Original post by trathen93

Why not? I think its a quality idea. I could try it myself but i know its not going to happen, I could attempt it but I'd end up failing miserably.

ahh thankyou! I'm sure you wouldn't fail- join mee, we can rally each other on! haa
Reply 8
Original post by keira

Original post by keira

honestly, I'm really not a fan of MTV or their shows in general because of how set up they all are, and when i said its "inspired" me it was just a turn of phrase really- my real driving force is being unhappy and unhealthy at my current weight :smile:
Hi there :smile: Your idea is great, however I don't think you'll be able to lose quite that much in such a short period of time. I'm losing weight at the moment and have lost a stone and a half in three months. I have cut back a lot and do a lot of exercise, and don't think it would have been healthy for me to exercise more/cut down food any more drastically.

Also, losing weight might not make you happier.. if you're not happy as a person and don't have confidence now, losing weight alone won't change that. That's something I'm learning right now. You have to learn to love yourself for who you are, not just what you look like. Once you've learned that lesson, you're laughing :-)
Reply 10
162 DAYS TO GO!
will post weekly updates on weight loss for the week, things i've found help/ things i've struggled with x
Reply 11
Original post by Gemma :)!

[QUOTE=Gemma [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]!;30880757]Hi there :smile: Your idea is great, however I don't think you'll be able to lose quite that much in such a short period of time. I'm losing weight at the moment and have lost a stone and a half in three months. I have cut back a lot and do a lot of exercise, and don't think it would have been healthy for me to exercise more/cut down food any more drastically.

Also, losing weight might not make you happier.. if you're not happy as a person and don't have confidence now, losing weight alone won't change that. That's something I'm learning right now. You have to learn to love yourself for who you are, not just what you look like. Once you've learned that lesson, you're laughing :-)

Helloo, thanks for your comment :smile: I know weight loss isnt always conducive to happiness, but i lost 3 stone last year and felt a millions times more happy and outgoing, just because the only thing stops me from being confident at the minute is how self-concious i am about my weight. I probably should have said that I want to loose 4 stone overall, so i'm not just pinning my hopes on loosing it by the end of September! I'm not completely deluded and from my past experience i know its hard, but i'm looking to change my lifestyle as well as my weight :smile: Have you got any tips of things that have worked for you e.g. certain exercises or whatever? Thankyoooou :smile:
Original post by Embers:)
Helloo, thanks for your comment :smile: I know weight loss isnt always conducive to happiness, but i lost 3 stone last year and felt a millions times more happy and outgoing, just because the only thing stops me from being confident at the minute is how self-concious i am about my weight. I probably should have said that I want to loose 4 stone overall, so i'm not just pinning my hopes on loosing it by the end of September! I'm not completely deluded and from my past experience i know its hard, but i'm looking to change my lifestyle as well as my weight :smile: Have you got any tips of things that have worked for you e.g. certain exercises or whatever? Thankyoooou :smile:

Did you keep the 3 stone off or put it back on?

Oh okay as long as you know that, you get sooo many people coming on here thinking they can do it just like that so just thought I'd say :biggrin:

Well for me, I've cut out chocolate completely, not touched the stuff since Jan 9th, I thought I'd be better doing that as the temptation would be less than if I was just cutting down..

I've started walking to uni instead of getting a bus, which takes 40 mins, so just doing that once a day is amazing exercise. I strongly believe that walking is the best exercise there is; as you can do it straight away no matter how unfit you are (like meee haha).

If I don't think I'm going to be able to get out of the house one day, like if I have a lot of work to do on assignments, I have some ankle weights (1kg each, I think) that I'll wear around the house just to burn a little bit more :biggrin: That helps, too.

Also, I do the silly little things people say, like drink ice cold water as your body has to burn calories to warm you up.. if I'm sitting at my desk working I'll swing my legs just so that I'm never sitting still.. sounds silly but it seems to be working so I'm not that bothered :biggrin: I have about 3 stone to lose myself, so that means I'm halfway there :biggrin: So hopefully by Christmas I'll be the weight I've wanted to be since I was about 15 :') Fingers crossed, and good luck to you, too :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by thepinkpowerranger

Original post by thepinkpowerranger
Did you keep the 3 stone off or put it back on?

put half of it back on :frown:
Original post by Gemma :)!
:-)

Just wanted to say you have chosen a top charity to support. Respect! :yes:
Just wanted to say you have chosen a top charity to support. Respect! :yes:

Well I thought so :-) Lost a friend to CF just a couple of weeks ago, and my best friends daughter has it too (her husband ran the marathon for the Trust yesterday!!), plus two people I went to primary school with.. considering there are only 8,500 people with CF in the whole of the UK, I seem to know an unusually high amount!! But the point is, yes, fab charity :biggrin:
Has anyone else been watching "I used to be fat" on MTV? well basically if you haven't, it's overweight 18year olds spending a summer loosing loads of weight before they start uni (or college as they call it- silly Americans!).

... just really want to shift some serious weight in order to feel more confident in my own skin so that starting uni and making new friends is a much less daunting prospect..... To get within a healthy range for my height.

I plan to do this through a calorie controlled diet and an extensive exercise regime, ive lost weight in the past, but this time i need to loose more and keep it off!

I'll chart my endeavours on my dieting journey on here, and any hints or tips are greatly appreciated! Also, if your doing anything similar, i would love to hear from you! Here goes...

I'm planning to do something similar, I started a food diary today. also joined here today after googling "i used to be fat uk" :smile: lets do this :biggrin: :dance: :biggrin:

i need him as my personal trainer :biggrin:

with an attitude like "I'm going to fail miserably" yeah, that's a bad start, that's almost giving yourself an excuse to fail before you start. excuses are lies to yourself, you can do this.

try, youll never know unless you do, good luck to you :smile::rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest