The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6980
Original post by natty_d
YAY :smile:

Thanks!

I haven't checked out the CU here and I'm very nervous about doing so for some reason! :colondollar:

Well I will pray for that as well :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Update: Church tonight was a mega hard hitting sermon, I felt myself really moved and challenged so was very conscious that Julie (my friend) would possibly find it more so. A lot of talk about us taking up our crosses and living life solely for God etc which is always tricky and makes us see our failings, but also a lot of talk about how God accepts us even though we aren't perfect. During the final round of worship songs we were encouraged to come up the cross at the front and take some bread and wine (not communion, just a way of remembering Jesus' death) and pray at the cross to know God's purpose for us, to stop putting us before Him and to act for Him and proclaim Him Lord, and as the only light was on the band, and people were just to go if they felt, there was no pressure or expectation or anything. I went up and I cried. I just felt so overcome with what a great talk it had been, and how much God has done for us and how little we've done for Him and it was just really moving. Then I was shocked to see that Julie of her own accord went up, so much praise for that! Then after the service she was willing to chat about it, wants to make it a regular thing and I'm just SO happy! How great is our God! What an amazing thing He has done! All the praise in the world cannot cover how grateful I am so thank you all for praying, it's amazing! I know it's not much, but for one of my uni friends to want to come to Church is just like wow, and for them to want to return...words can't describe how blessed I feel.

Woop! That's so cool :smile: Obv I know nothing about her situation or whatever, but you could always bear in mind the Forum thing that CU do for inquirers / interested parties, might be a good introduction to all bases for her (unless they changed it, and I can't imagine they would, then you'd be able to go along too so she's not on her own!). But anyway, shall keep her and you in my prayers!

Original post by natty_d

Thanks!

I haven't checked out the CU here and I'm very nervous about doing so for some reason! :colondollar:

No need to be nervous, CU's a great resource and base for student evangelism, but it's not for everyone - finding a good church is far more important for example. On the other hand, Christians that are active enough in their faith are generally lovely, welcoming people, so don't be nervous and go give it a try! :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm glad you were both moved by the spirit. God bless Julie :smile: :woo: :yeah:

Well done :biggrin:

It was just such a good service, one of those ones which really touches you!

Original post by 22KT22
That is fantastic news, so glad that God managed to reach your friend and she feels able to make it a more regular thing :smile: Also what a love story about the effect on the holy spirit (something my bible study tonight touched on).

:woo: Thats fantastic news, prayers for settling into university and the work life.

I was so happy that she said she wants to make it regular, true answer to prayer! The holy spirit is damn cool!

Original post by sparklysparkles
Woop! That's so cool :smile: Obv I know nothing about her situation or whatever, but you could always bear in mind the Forum thing that CU do for inquirers / interested parties, might be a good introduction to all bases for her (unless they changed it, and I can't imagine they would, then you'd be able to go along too so she's not on her own!). But anyway, shall keep her and you in my prayers!

Tbh I don't think Forum would be her thing, she grew up very religiously but after her dad died when she was quite young, fell away, and has only now started to see that she wants religion back in her life, and she's said she needs to take things at her own pace as she's got a lot of thinking and stuff to do, so I think once a week going to church is just her cup of tea atm :smile:
It was just such a good service, one of those ones which really touches you!

It definitely sounds like it :yes: I'm touched that you were so moved. Maybe it's a side effect of the depression/medication but few things move me in that way anymore :no:

Update: Church tonight was a mega hard hitting sermon, I felt myself really moved and challenged so was very conscious that Julie (my friend) would possibly find it more so. A lot of talk about us taking up our crosses and living life solely for God etc which is always tricky and makes us see our failings, but also a lot of talk about how God accepts us even though we aren't perfect. During the final round of worship songs we were encouraged to come up the cross at the front and take some bread and wine (not communion, just a way of remembering Jesus' death) and pray at the cross to know God's purpose for us, to stop putting us before Him and to act for Him and proclaim Him Lord, and as the only light was on the band, and people were just to go if they felt, there was no pressure or expectation or anything. I went up and I cried. I just felt so overcome with what a great talk it had been, and how much God has done for us and how little we've done for Him and it was just really moving. Then I was shocked to see that Julie of her own accord went up, so much praise for that! Then after the service she was willing to chat about it, wants to make it a regular thing and I'm just SO happy! How great is our God! What an amazing thing He has done! All the praise in the world cannot cover how grateful I am so thank you all for praying, it's amazing! I know it's not much, but for one of my uni friends to want to come to Church is just like wow, and for them to want to return...words can't describe how blessed I feel.

Oh that's so amazing, God is just so great isn't He :biggrin: I'm so happy for Julie and for you, I'll praise Him tonight on your behalf! :biggrin: :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It definitely sounds like it :yes: I'm touched that you were so moved. Maybe it's a side effect of the depression/medication but few things move me in that way anymore :no:

Well I very rarely find myself in tears anymore, so to find myself so hit once again by what Christ did for us is pretty amazing for me!

Original post by lovers in japan
Oh that's so amazing, God is just so great isn't He :biggrin: I'm so happy for Julie and for you, I'll praise Him tonight on your behalf! :biggrin: :hugs:

Thank you! I've done a whole lotta praising!
Reply 6986
Original post by natty_d
Thanks!

What church are you going to in Nottingham? If you want me to link you up with some Christians in Nottingham, I know a few!
We had our 'Introduction' course run for its second week last night, for international students (mostly from China) who want to know more about our God... everyone came back and we even had two extra people join our group! How great is our God! :biggrin:
Original post by lovers in japan
We had our 'Introduction' course run for its second week last night, for international students (mostly from China) who want to know more about our God... everyone came back and we even had two extra people join our group! How great is our God! :biggrin:

Christianity is enjoying a resurgence in China currently.
Original post by Lantana
Christianity is enjoying a resurgence in China currently.

It's still heavily controlled though. The Catholic Church, for example, has been told that the Chinese are going to consecrate about 40 Bishops with or without Vatican approval. In the past these men have sometimes not even been Baptised let along having recieved the Sacrament of Holy Orders. The smaller Protestant Churches are very, very closely watched as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can I have prayers as I'm ill atm. Been throwing up for no reason :frown: feel rough and slept all day!
Reply 6992
Can I have prayers as I'm ill atm. Been throwing up for no reason :frown: feel rough and slept all day!

Definitely :yep: Prayers for a quick recovery for this weekend :p:

You poor thing :hugs: Prayer said :smile:
Hey guys. Could I ask some of you to pray for the student group at the church randdom and I are involved with? It's our first 'official' activities this week, welcoming back all the students and are going bowling tomorrow night and having a welcome lunch after church on Sunday. Our regular group nights also start next week.

We did bowling at the start of last year and it was a great way build relationships between people and kick off the year.

Could you guys pray for all the students down here in Brighton, that these events are a success in bringing new students to our church (both Christians and non-Christians) so that we can help them grow this year in their faith and relationship with God? Thanks :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RK
Hey guys. Could I ask some of you to pray for the student group at the church random and I are involved with? It's our first 'official' activities this week, welcoming back all the students and are going bowling tomorrow night and having a welcome lunch after church on Sunday. Our regular group nights also start next week.

We did bowling at the start of last year and it was a great way build relationships between people and kick off the year.

Could you guys pray for all the students down here in Brighton, that these events are a success in bringing new students to our church (both Christians and non-Christians) so that we can help them grow this year in their faith and relationship with God? Thanks :smile:

Prayer said :smile:
Original post by adamrules247
It's still heavily controlled though. The Catholic Church, for example, has been told that the Chinese are going to appoint about 40 Bishops with or without Vatican approval. In the past these men have sometimes not even been Baptised let along having recieved the Sacrament of Holy Orders. The smaller Protestant Churches are very, very closely watched as well.

:yes: and there is a difference between the state sanctioned and the unauthorised house churches. But my point was that there is a lot of interest from the Chinese in it at present.
Original post by Lantana

Original post by Lantana
:yes: and there is a difference between the state sanctioned and the unauthorised house churches. But my point was that there is a lot of interest from the Chinese in it at present.

I'm well aware of that, but I am also acutely aware of how many Chinese have never even heard of Jesus, or just don't see why anyone would ever believe in God, having experienced it for myself. It's not just at present though, Christianity has been present in China for hundreds of years, it's just experiencing a revival at presence, due to I believe in part to be the repression of all forms of religion throughout the turbulent period of time until the 1980s, and now freedom is being experienced and life is no longer prescribed, people want to find out if there's more to it all.

At least this is what the Chinese students I am helping to introduce to Christianity have said.

Original post by RK
Hey guys. Could I ask some of you to pray for the student group at the church randdom and I are involved with? It's our first 'official' activities this week, welcoming back all the students and are going bowling tomorrow night and having a welcome lunch after church on Sunday. Our regular group nights also start next week.

Praying for the students of Brighton, that they might come to churches across the city even if they've never been to one before, just because they're interested as to why people care so much and want to find out more. I pray that students who are already Christian will find a true church home, where they will feel safe, loved, and able to grow in faith.
Original post by RK

Of course, prayer just said :biggrin:

Hey all, just a quick question because I don't know the answer, unfortunately :colondollar:

Do Catholics cross right to left or left to right? I always get it confused and am interested in finding out which way is correct... Cheers!

Latest