The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hasm
How do you know your contract has not finishes/finished? Do they tell you to stop coming or something?

What do you mean?

During the induction period, we were told when the contract would end. Now that the contract has ended, no one has really bothered to mention it. As I noted in my previous post, I asked the team manager and she said to continue with the work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9621
how do you know you have been kept on?
Original post by hasm

About a month after my contract ended I was handed a letter from my mananger saying they would like to keep me on board if I would like. If I agreed then my contract would just be continued.
Original post by hasm

My store never told me (or the people who started with me) that we were being kept on, we just kept going in and they never told us to stop. A few months later they gave us permanent contracts (and the discount card!) though.
Original post by theblues1
Hi, I'm new here. I know these questions have been asked loads of time. BUT had my interview last Wednesday (8 days ago) and she said that she would let me know this week. I know its not the end of the week yet, but still havent heard. Do you think its a good or bad sign???

I heard that the final decision wasnt left with the interviewer, but everything was sent to HR and they decided. ie marks for dvd test and marks for one on one interview. Does the interviewer have any input in this, meaning can she put a 'recommend' as I felt the interview went well, also the dvd not too bad but maybe got a couple wrong??

I didnt do the group thing, it was just me doing the dvd/maths tests etc and then the one on one. Also, anyone know how many go for one particular job. At the time of applying there were about 10 different shift pattern jobs advertised.

Many thanks. Sorry for all the questions. Just desperate to know the outcome. :confused:

They said that they'd get back to me within 10 days, 10 days was up last saturday, and no call so i assumed i'd been unsuccessful. But i got a call on monday telling me i had got the job, so anything is possible! And i have no idea about the other questions - sorry!!
I had my review the other day and one of my targets was to know offers that are on in the store, i'm finding this really tough because i only see the offers when they come up on my till as i don't tend to walk round the store. Any advice on how i can do this?
Original post by lipstickstains_x
I had my review the other day and one of my targets was to know offers that are on in the store, i'm finding this really tough because i only see the offers when they come up on my till as i don't tend to walk round the store. Any advice on how i can do this?

Check the website. :smile:
Offers change on a Tuesday [they did when I worked there anyway], so I used to check the website on a Tues/Wed, so I would have a rough idea for my shifts on Thurs and Saturday. :smile:
Original post by theblues1
Hi, I'm new here. I know these questions have been asked loads of time. BUT had my interview last Wednesday (8 days ago) and she said that she would let me know this week. I know its not the end of the week yet, but still havent heard. Do you think its a good or bad sign???

I heard that the final decision wasnt left with the interviewer, but everything was sent to HR and they decided. ie marks for dvd test and marks for one on one interview. Does the interviewer have any input in this, meaning can she put a 'recommend' as I felt the interview went well, also the dvd not too bad but maybe got a couple wrong??

I didnt do the group thing, it was just me doing the dvd/maths tests etc and then the one on one. Also, anyone know how many go for one particular job. At the time of applying there were about 10 different shift pattern jobs advertised.

Many thanks. Sorry for all the questions. Just desperate to know the outcome. :confused:

It took them 2 weeks to get back to me and I had already taken another job by that time, so I wouldnt worry about it.

Original post by lipstickstains_x

If you struggle to know the offers and dont have time to go on the website like affinity89 said, which is a really good idea, then ask someone from commercial they put out all the offers or ask the grocery/fresh/gm/produce manager.
Reply 9628
theres normally an offers leaflet on the service desk, it should highlight all the main offers. you could take one and look through it when you have no customers. there is a magazine too that is free that compliments the tip cards, not sure iof that has any offers in. think it's called cook it? it cook? cook? (think it has the word cook in it, it is an A5 booklet anyways, not to be mistaken with the js mag that costs £4)
other than that i suppose it will be hard to know whats on offer when only working on the tills
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice. I currently work 12 hours at sainsburys doing 6 hours on both saturday and sunday. I am also at Uni and have just gone back in my 2nd year, I commute. The thing is my Uni timetable is 5 days a week and I don't think im going to be able to fit the work in. Just wanted to know if I leave sainsburys I would definatly be able to come back in the holidays, also would I have to work 4 weeks notice if I did decide to leave. I wanted to ask this on here before I spoke to my manger and stuff.
Reply 9630
Original post by AgentSushi
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice. I currently work 12 hours at sainsburys doing 6 hours on both saturday and sunday. I am also at Uni and have just gone back in my 2nd year, I commute. The thing is my Uni timetable is 5 days a week and I don't think im going to be able to fit the work in. Just wanted to know if I leave sainsburys I would definatly be able to come back in the holidays, also would I have to work 4 weeks notice if I did decide to leave. I wanted to ask this on here before I spoke to my manger and stuff.

They might not be 100% able to take you back in the holidays, it all depends on their allocated hours and what they need during holiday times. And yes, you would be required to give four weeks notice, whether you actually do this is up to you though, but I would suggest you work your notice period if you intend on coming back during holidays!
Original post by tubbsy
They might not be 100% able to take you back in the holidays, it all depends on their allocated hours and what they need during holiday times. And yes, you would be required to give four weeks notice, whether you actually do this is up to you though, but I would suggest you work your notice period if you intend on coming back during holidays!

Thanks, I would be tempted not to leave if I couldn't come back in the holidays as I kind of need the money. I have no problem working 4 weeks notice just wanted to know if you had to if you where going to be coming back. I know loads of people that go to Uni and come back during the holidays, just not sure if I have left it too late as they all leave when they start Uni but I didn't know my timetable was going to be awful.
Original post by AgentSushi
Thanks, I would be tempted not to leave if I couldn't come back in the holidays as I kind of need the money. I have no problem working 4 weeks notice just wanted to know if you had to if you where going to be coming back. I know loads of people that go to Uni and come back during the holidays, just not sure if I have left it too late as they all leave when they start Uni but I didn't know my timetable was going to be awful.

You'd just have to remember that they may not allow anyone back during certain holidays. Over Christmas they might allow some temporary people back, but other holidays they might not. At my store this summer no one was allowed back for the whole holiday apart from the 3 or 4 dual store people who we have to have.

If you are leaving, then you are resigning, and would need to give 4 weeks notice.
I'm officially not a Sainsbury's employee anymore! Still, I just noticed that on last months paycheck it says that I took holiday, although I had cancelled that holiday. I don't know if its worth chasing this up or not, seeing as I have been paid correctly and I'm no longer an employee there anyway?
Reply 9634
So, I'm moving store again! Lol. I've been with the company for around 9 weeks now, and have been training at various stores - worked at five different stores in total - and I'm getting signed off in a couple of days [two weeks early], so I'll get my full team leader salary. Really excited! :biggrin: Moving to my new store - a brand new store, opening this coming week
Any Christmas temps up online round your area?
Reply 9636
I am very surprised that people are getting rejected from Sainsburys. I am sure they take on pretty much anyone.
Hi,

Help required from my Sainsburys colleague's....

I have got a General Assistant - night shift job (30 hours) in Sainsburys in Northern Ireland and i start on Friday 7th Oct.

1, I want to know is it possible to do overtime either on Day shift or Night shift?, if i can who do i see, would it be my night shift manager or a day shift manager?

2, Is there a limit to how many hours you can work in a week?

3, How do i go about getting a Time Leader position or a Dept managers position?, do i have to wait until i finish my 12 week thing or can i apply ASAP if theres one going?

4, 12 Week training, i've heard that this can finish early i.e. if my Manager thinks I'm doing well he/she can sign me off early - is this true?

5, I was told the we're paid every 4 weeks, is it 4 weeks from when i start or is say the last Friday in every month?...

Hope you can help.

Nokia.
Reply 9638
Hello, I am under 18 but I got told my pay would be £6.21 an hour at my interview. Now I've started the job, they are now paying me £4.76, would this go up to the £6.21 at some point or would I have to wait til I'm 18? I think this is unfair since they did tell me that would be my rate of pay and now they have dropped it by £2.

Thankyou:smile:
Original post by Kayla94
Hello, I am under 18 but I got told my pay would be £6.21 an hour at my interview. Now I've started the job, they are now paying me £4.76, would this go up to the £6.21 at some point or would I have to wait til I'm 18? I think this is unfair since they did tell me that would be my rate of pay and now they have dropped it by £2.

Thankyou:smile:

Hi,

The advert would of said "This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process".

I would say that they mentioned the £6.21 at your interview stage but i would think that they said it as a general thing at the interview, as the above statement on the job advert would always stand as it's written where your conversation was verbal. Best to ring HR and ask them, they can only say no!. Hope that helps. Nokia.

Latest

Trending

Trending