The Student Room Group

My experience studying in Maastricht University

First of all, let me introduce myself! I'm a 19 year old student from Belgium. I always wanted to study abroad and in English specially.

During my last year of high school I quickly searched for unis in the Netherlands and came across Maastricht, 50km away from my hometown. I visited the city and instantly fell in love with it. I soon decided to apply to the faculty of law, to study European law (and after International laws). Check the faculty tour here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGiz1lj2rk

Also check out the CITY video here (really nice video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSSHyFRjuhY&feature=player_embedded

Maastricht university also offers programs in European studies, Science, Engineering, European Public Health, International Business, Econometrics (more Finance), and Economics. The university has a Triple-crown accreditation (only a few in the world received that award including the London Business School, Warwick, ...).

So a few things I learnt about Maastricht University and Maastricht in general:

- The way of learning is a bit different: you sit in small classes and it's PBL (Problem Based Learning). I was a bit intrigued about this approach, but it turned out to improve considerably my speaking skills and I ended up studying more regularly. It works the way like that: You always have to prepare 4 to 6 tasks before the class starts and the discussion leader asks other students about them. The discussion leader is appointed by the tutor at the end of each class to prepare the next tutorial.

- Tutors are approachable. If you have a question, just shoot them an email and they sometimes will even reply you on Sunday's!

- You can do plenty of things there, ranging from sports to student associations. I have some friends who are doing some rowing on the Maas, also some are doing Thai Boxing, Kick Boxing, or other sports. It usually costs around 80 to 120€ a year. Gym is the same price. Regarding student associations, I enrolled in UNSA, it's like the Model United Nations. You prepare the big conference in Maastricht and go to Sweden, Germany, and even Israel to speak at those conferences. You also drink on a weekly basis in a relaxed environment!

- Living in Maastricht is just great. It's definitely a student city with tons of bars, restaurants everywhere and deals for students (you often get 10 to 25% off at various locations). The city atmosphere is lovely, and chill. Going out is always a great experience, even if beers are a bit expensive in pubs in the centre, you have plenty of student bars with 1€ a beer.

- I'm still amazed by the architecture. The faculties are all located in the centre but separated from each other. The Faculty of law is built in an old church but is all brand new in the inside. It's the case for all university buildings, it's hard to describe how it looks like, but stunning is a good start!

- Get a bike. There are no cars driving in the centre. No cars mean also better air! It's really peaceful to bike around the city and its cobbled streets.

- It's not cheap, but not expensive either. 1713€ are the annual tuition fees for European citizens. (EDIT: it rises every year so it might be a bit higher for the academic year 2013-2014)

- Finding a job in Maastricht? Easy bizy. I sent roughly 15 emails and got 4 job offers - at a cocktail bar, in a hostel, in a call-centre, and at Apple. I don't even speak Dutch!

- Renting a flat is not expensive either. You can find flats around the university faculties starting at 250-300€. Flats in the city centre usually are around 350-400€ for something really really decent. (I live 3 minutes by bike from the faculty in a 400€ per month room, 15sqm, with 2 other students and we have a 143sqm2 flat in total with 2 bathrooms). There are many websites that offer student rooms in Maastricht, for example you can check StudentFlatMaastricht which regularly publishes various studios and different student accommodation options in Maastricht.

Few questions: Are the courses hard? Is it interesting there? How are the girls there?:

Be prepared, you'll have to study at least a bit to pass the courses.

Last year we were around 400 students starting the European Law Bachelor and now we're a little over a 130 in the second year. I'm not a genius I can tell you and I'm now into my second year. But I had to study quite a lot for some courses, and on a regular basis (exams every two months). I also had to spend entire nights information for essays. Deadline are sometimes quite tight and you end up with no sleeping on certain days. I'd say the hardest thing when you start university is to get to know what they expect from you. You have to be serious, hard-working, and a little intelligent is always a plus!

Oh and yes, English is not my mother tongue as you can see, so that added a bit more difficulty to the whole thing.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I started my application today. :smile: I'm glad to hear good things about it.
Reply 2
I am looking to study in Holland next year as well, but there are not many Universities that teach Engineering in English, the same goes for Denmark.
The courses taught in English all seem to be of the Arts or Humanities, as well as Business/Economics.
Reply 3
Original post by Pi!

Great! Which course will you be doing?
Reply 4
holland sucks, its full of prostitutes
Reply 5
Original post by juicy

It's wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan8
It's wrong.

Damn right thats wrong
Reply 7
Original post by juicy

Maastricht isn't in Holland, Holland is only around a quarter of the Netherlands.
Reply 8
Original post by Lewis :D
Maastricht isn't in Holland, Holland is only around a quarter of the Netherlands.

I meant the netherlands
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan8

Arts and culture.
Reply 10
Original post by Pi!

I didn't know the application process has started yet . By the way are you going to the open day ?
Reply 11
Original post by Duncan8

Well Duncan , I@m thinking about apllying for European law aswell since I am doing A-level law right now and I happen to realy enjoy the subject . More than History or Politics.
Reply 12
Original post by Duncan8
First of all, let me introduce myself! I'm a 19 year old Belgian student, living in the French part of Belgium. I always wanted to study abroad and in English specially.

During my last year of high school I quickly searched for unis in the Netherlands and came across Maastricht, 50km away from my hometown. I visited the city and instantly fell in love with it. I soon decided to apply to the faculty of law, to study European law (and after International laws). Check the faculty tour here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGiz1lj2rk

Maastricht university also offers programs in European studies, Science, Engineering, European Public Health, International Business, Econometrics (more Finance), and Economics. The university has a Triple-crown accreditation (only a few in the world received that award including the London Business School, Warwick, ...).

So a few things I learnt about Maastricht University and Maastricht in general:

- The way of learning is a bit different: you sit in small classes and it's PBL (Problem Based Learning). I was a bit intrigued about this approach, but it turned out to improve considerably my speaking skills and I ended up studying more regularly. It works the way like that: You always have to prepare 4 to 6 tasks before the class starts and the discussion leader asks other students about them. The discussion leader is appointed by the tutor at the end of each class to prepare the next tutorial.

- Tutors are approachable. If you have a question, just shoot them an email and they sometimes will even reply you on Sunday's!

- You can do plenty of things there, ranging from sports to student associations. I have some friends who are doing some rowing on the Maas, also some are doing Thai Boxing, Kick Boxing, or other sports. It usually costs around 80 to 120€ a year. Gym is the same price. Regarding student associations, I enrolled in UNSA, it's like the Model United Nations. You prepare the big conference in Maastricht and go to Sweden, Germany, and even Israel to speak at those conferences. You also drink on a weekly basis in a relaxed environment!

- Living in Maastricht is just great. It's definitely a student city with tons of bars, restaurants everywhere and deals for students (you often get 10 to 25% off at various locations). The city atmosphere is lovely, and chill. Going out is always a great experience, even if beers are a bit expensive in pubs in the centre, you have plenty of student bars with 1€ a beer.

- I'm still amazed by the architecture. The faculties are all located in the centre but separated from each other. The Faculty of law is built in an old church but is all brand new in the inside. It's the case for all university buildings, it's hard to describe how it looks like, but stunning is a good start!

- Get a bike. There are no cars driving in the centre. No cars mean also better air! It's really peaceful to bike around the city and its cobbled streets.

- It's not cheap, but not expensive either. 1713€ are the annual tuition fees for European citizens.

- Finding a job in Maastricht? Easy bizy. I sent roughly 15 emails and got 4 job offers - at a cocktail bar, in a hostel, in a call-centre, and at Apple. I don't even speak Dutch!

- Renting a flat is not expensive either. You can find flats around the university faculties starting at 250-300€. Flats in the city centre usually are around 350-400€ for something really really decent. (I live 3 minutes by bike from the faculty in a 400€ per month room, 15sqm, with 2 other students and we have a 143sqm2 flat in total with 2 bathrooms).

Few questions: Are the courses hard? Is it interesting there? How are the girls there?:

Be prepared, you'll have to study at least a bit to pass the courses.

Last year we were around 400 students starting the European Law Bachelor and now we're a little over a 100 in the second year. I'm not a genius I can tell you and I'm now into my second year. But I had to study quite a lot for some courses, and on a regular basis (exams every two months). I also had to spend entire nights information for essays. Deadline are sometimes quite tight and you end up with no sleeping on certain days. I'd say the hardest thing when you start university is to get to know what they expect from you. You have to be serious, hard-working, and a little intelligent is always a plus!

Oh and yes, English is not my mother tongue as you can see, so that added a bit more difficulty to the whole thing.

About girls, you'll feel like being in a model show when sitting in the library (which can be slightly distracting). Dutch girls are just fantastic, and I'm not even counting International student girls. I have recently met some Finnish and Swedish girls. So yes, it's good there!

So the girls are hot you say? :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by Durido
I didn't know the application process has started yet . By the way are you going to the open day ?

Probably not because it'll probably be a bit tricky to get there. :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by Pi!
Probably not because it'll probably be a bit tricky to get there. :s-smilie:

Hm , well than I guess that means see you next year :biggrin:
Reply 15
does anyone know what grades you need to get into the uni because on the website it says 2 gce a to e which is surely wrong
Reply 16
Original post by munwaiwurm
does anyone know what grades you need to get into the uni because on the website it says 2 gce a to e which is surely wrong

Nope .......it is actually right :biggrin: .......they are bound by some treaty to take the minimal requierements with which you can get access to university in the uk ( any course that is ) which is two E's at gce A-level
Reply 17
so right now im on course to get AAABD would i have a realistic chance of getting in
Reply 18
Well yeah ........... damn sure you would , which course to you think about apllying to?
Reply 19
business and economics :smile: im originally from germany but moved to england to study but maastricht is very a very good university
so are you a student there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending