The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teresa.ob
Hi please can some one help me, i really want to do medicine however i didnt get the AS grades i wanted i got ACCD my predicted grades are now ABB if i resit some modules.
I have done my ukcat, how do you work out your score i think i got 560.
Please can someone give me some advice, i want to study in LONDON.
But i think i will only get into nottingham or Southampton.
What else can i do, i dont want to do bio med or anything like that .

:confused: Do you think other unis will consider my application like for example barts or st. georges?

BM6 is not for people who didn't get grades/scores, there are a lot of other criteria to fulfil. If it's a UKCAT thing, look for uni's that don't use it much. BM6 has more appls. per place and an interview, and also there are only 30 places.

Do some research and apply to standard courses and you'd have a better chance but if you have other reasons for applying to BM6 then go for it. x
Hi everyone,

im looking to apply for BM6 at southhampton im currently in my gap year and got AAB in Chemistry, biology and applied ict respectively.. plus i have 3A*'s, 3A's and 3B's at GCSE.. however in my first year of college i only got BCC because my grandmother suffered badly with dementia, and obviously my mother stepped in to look after how whilst i had to pick up the pieces at my own home looking after my younger sisters.. hence why i couldnt concentrate properly on my college work during the first year, however i really tried hard in my second year as my grandmother got better my mum was more able to look after my younger siblings.. hence allowing me to turn it around to get AAB however do you think ill be frowned apon because i was so close to the A100 grades? even though i match 4 out of 5 of their criteria they want?

thansk for your help!
Original post by Thepupil
Nope. My predictions were BBBB. Got and offer and i'm going next week :wink:

Hi :smile:
I think that's what my predictions are going to be.
Can I ask what you got at AS?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MichaelJoshua47
Hi everyone,

im looking to apply for BM6 at southhampton im currently in my gap year and got AAB in Chemistry, biology and applied ict respectively.. plus i have 3A*'s, 3A's and 3B's at GCSE.. however in my first year of college i only got BCC because my grandmother suffered badly with dementia, and obviously my mother stepped in to look after how whilst i had to pick up the pieces at my own home looking after my younger sisters.. hence why i couldnt concentrate properly on my college work during the first year, however i really tried hard in my second year as my grandmother got better my mum was more able to look after my younger siblings.. hence allowing me to turn it around to get AAB however do you think ill be frowned apon because i was so close to the A100 grades? even though i match 4 out of 5 of their criteria they want?

thansk for your help!

This would be a reasonable reason to apply. You've had the potential but not the circumstances to succeed. You'll not be frowned upon for having high grades because it's not really about them :smile:
can someone link me to last years thread as I'd like to know roughly when they send out rejections/interviews etc an it would be interesting reading
Just google "Southampton BM6 2011" and perhaps add TSR on the end.

Interview letters get sent out early January with interviews being once a week from Jan - March. If your interview is awful you'll get a rejection after interview, otherwise it's a "further consideration" letter. Then the offers go out on March with perfect/near perfect scorers getting them in the first week or two, and the others going out at the end of March once the interviews are finally over.

:biggrin:

*Just did it myself and it's the 5th result*
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 546
Original post by BethaneyJ
Depends why you're applying.... if it's just a grades/UKCAT thing then no. If you have other reasons and meet the criteria, yep. :biggrin:

What's wrong with your UKCAT? Why the sad faces? there are a few uni's who don't even use it, Southampton BM5 only use it as a cut off of the bottom 25%.

There are only 30 places on BM6, and there is an interview and more applicants per place. It's harder to get in!

its not that, ive spoken to pple on the bm6 course and i meet the criteria aswell, but im just worried that they might look down on me and think that im trying to find the easy way into medicine. and comeon my ukcat isnt that great and it would probs come in the bottom 25%
Original post by sd004
its not that, ive spoken to pple on the bm6 course and i meet the criteria aswell, but im just worried that they might look down on me and think that im trying to find the easy way into medicine. and comeon my ukcat isnt that great and it would probs come in the bottom 25%

I did the BM6 course too (2010/11 class). They will see you as trying to get in an easy way unless you have a reason for applying other than grades or a reason why your grades weren't high enough. You'd be surprised how rubbish some UKCAT scores are, but phone and ask what the average range is!
This would be a reasonable reason to apply. You've had the potential but not the circumstances to succeed. You'll not be frowned upon for having high grades because it's not really about them :smile:

in your opinion where shall i talk about the reasons why i missed out on achieving all A's for the A100.. in my personal statement or shall i get my referee to also talk about it?
Original post by MichaelJoshua47
in your opinion where shall i talk about the reasons why i missed out on achieving all A's for the A100.. in my personal statement or shall i get my referee to also talk about it?

Nope you don't need to justify your application in your PS. Your referee can explain the situation, and it would be something they may ask at interview.
Reply 550
I did the BM6 course too (2010/11 class). They will see you as trying to get in an easy way unless you have a reason for applying other than grades or a reason why your grades weren't high enough. You'd be surprised how rubbish some UKCAT scores are, but phone and ask what the average range is!

In your reference do you have to include why you are eligible for the course? Or do we fill that in, with the extra sheet they send?
Reply 551
I know that there are only 30 places for the BM6 but how many people get invited for interview?
Reply 552
I know that there are only 30 places for the BM6 but how many people get invited for interview? and also do they give more offers than the spaces they have (like other med uni's do) because they know that some people might not get the grades at the end?
Original post by Besakt
In your reference do you have to include why you are eligible for the course? Or do we fill that in, with the extra sheet they send?

That's done on the sheet they send. If something in particular affected you, then that can go in a reference, but financial stuff is all on the form.

Original post by Nnuunnuu
I know that there are only 30 places for the BM6 but how many people get invited for interview?

Original post by Nnuunnuu
I know that there are only 30 places for the BM6 but how many people get invited for interview? and also do they give more offers than the spaces they have (like other med uni's do) because they know that some people might not get the grades at the end?

Around 200 interviews, 45 offers and then there are usually around 30 that meet the offer (we had 33, this year is 29). They'll accept everyone who meets the offer but statistically around 1/3 won't.
Reply 554

well what do you mean other reason? well i was not born in this country and took me a while to settle in,and because i meet the criterias and i love southampton :biggrin: ?
Original post by sd004
well what do you mean other reason? well i was not born in this country and took me a while to settle in,and because i meet the criterias and i love southampton :biggrin: ?

If that affected your grades then that is a fair reason... it's about having been disadvantaged and that meaning you'll not usually get a place at standard courses :smile:
Just a little update. This year there were 665 applicants so around 22:1 ratio of applicants per place. This is compared to 14:1 for BM5 and 36:1 for BM4.
Reply 557
Just a little update. This year there were 665 applicants so around 22:1 ratio of applicants per place. This is compared to 14:1 for BM5 and 36:1 for BM4.

:eek: Becoming more competitive by the year.
Reply 558
Original post by xcoral23
Lucky for some! lol

I really need to get on and finish my PS..

I emailed my referee to make sure he has a reference ready for next week so fingers crossed :smile:

I've still got one more choice left that keeps throwing me.. might just play lucky dip with my choices lol!

Good luck anyway :smile: Where did you apply- whats your academic/UKCAT profile?

I know I'm very lucky. Hit a snag yesterday when the college managed to lose my references somewhere in cyberspace albeit the college intranet cyberspace. :eek: My UCAS adviser contemplated violence!
Hopefully order is restored otherwise there will be a couple of people considering violence.

:eek: oh god. reading that, my stomach flipped.

Just not having a good week at all.

My UCAS administrator is just being awful about my personal statement. Less than two weeks to go, and she decides now is the time to make major changes to it. I have to add more stuff in, and cut tons out. :frown: The fact shes continously making biting remarks about my extremely slim chances isn't helping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending