The Student Room Group

I Used To Be Fat Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinktinktinkerbell

i need him as my personal trainer :biggrin:

haha you & me both, sexy reasons & because he seems like an epic trainer, pushing you harder & harder. not so sure about the 'power stance' or the 'boom' though lol
Original post by keira
Stop taking inspiration from MTV, srsly

stop being negative seriously
Reply 22
Original post by Embers:)
Has anyone else been watching "I used to be fat" on MTV? well basically if you haven't, it's overweight 18year olds spending a summer loosing loads of weight before they start uni (or college as they call it- silly Americans!).

Well, being a fat 18 year old about to go to uni in September, i have been inspired and just really want to shift some serious weight in order to feel more confident in my own skin so that starting uni and making new friends is a much less daunting prospect.

To get within a healthy range for my height, i need to loose around 4 stone, i aim to have lost this by the time i start uni.

I plan to do this through a calorie controlled diet and an extensive exercise regime, ive lost weight in the past, but this time i need to loose more and keep it off!

I'll chart my endeavours on my dieting journey on here, and any hints or tips are greatly appreciated! Also, if your doing anything similar, i would love to hear from you! Here goes...

i used to be fat up until the age of 13....true story...
Reply 23
Hello! I am also trying to lose weight for similar reasons - I'm 18 and going to Australia travelling in January / February (then Thailand if I have the monies). I HAVE to lose weight by then.

I'm not a yo-yo dieter - been a chubba all my life so I guess I sorta always just knew my place, and everytime I have tried to diet I just haven't lost anything at all, let alone losing loads and putting it back on again.

To be fair I'm not obese - 5ft 7, about 11 stone (can't face weighing myself so it could be more like 11st 7lb or something :frown: ) But generally a size 12..... but just bought a pair of trousers from topshop that were a size 16. Worst day ever. Think it's the belly and thighs that are the worst lmao.

And I have been eating pretty healthily for around a year but in the last few weeks eating has become really healthy and I actually really enjoy it. Even before then I hadn't had fast food for years. Guess my problem is exercise :frown: I do about 15-20 pretty intense minutes on a cross trainer per-day, plus I work at a cafe where I am solidly on my feet for about 6 hours and I try to walk around as much as I can (although by the end of the day I am on the floor with tiredness). But just don't think this is enough, wanna go running but I cannot exercise in public ! I'm so unfit and if someone saw me all red faced and pantin' I would be pretty embarrassed.

I wanna be at about 9st by then but I guess my target is 9.5 maybe 10. Whatever weight means I'm slim :smile:

Jeez that was a rant.
Reply 24
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Hi there :smile: Your idea is great, however I don't think you'll be able to lose quite that much in such a short period of time. I'm losing weight at the moment and have lost a stone and a half in three months. I have cut back a lot and do a lot of exercise, and don't think it would have been healthy for me to exercise more/cut down food any more drastically.

Also, losing weight might not make you happier.. if you're not happy as a person and don't have confidence now, losing weight alone won't change that. That's something I'm learning right now. You have to learn to love yourself for who you are, not just what you look like. Once you've learned that lesson, you're laughing :-)

Hello ! Well done for what you've done... just wondering what height / weight you were and how you ate / exercised before you started? I hope you don't think I'm rude :colondollar: but I need to lose about a stone and a half in three months so would love to hear how you did it :smile: guess it will just make it real to me that I can do it too.

It's weird because I know exactly how... so many people have told me and it's all over the NHS - i.e. eat a healthy balanced diet, not too little and not too much, and do lots of exercise - but it just helps to hear exactly how someone else has done it. I lose confidence doing what I'm doing and it particularly threw me off course when someone told me I was eating too little ! So hard to balance it all.

Thank you
Reply 25
PS what do y'all think of protein shakes / supplements etc.?
Original post by phiddy23
Hello ! Well done for what you've done... just wondering what height / weight you were and how you ate / exercised before you started? I hope you don't think I'm rude :colondollar: but I need to lose about a stone and a half in three months so would love to hear how you did it :smile: guess it will just make it real to me that I can do it too.

It's weird because I know exactly how... so many people have told me and it's all over the NHS - i.e. eat a healthy balanced diet, not too little and not too much, and do lots of exercise - but it just helps to hear exactly how someone else has done it. I lose confidence doing what I'm doing and it particularly threw me off course when someone told me I was eating too little ! So hard to balance it all.

Thank you

Hi there.

Of course I don't think you're rude, I'll always answer anything anyone asks me :-).
I was 18 and a half stone when I started (:eek:- I know!) and am now around 13 and a half. I'm 5'9''.

Basically before I started I had such an unhealthy relationship with food. If I was feeling down I'd reach for crisps and biscuits, and I'd never do any exercise.

Now I only eat 1,200-1,500 cals per day, and do a lot of walking and jogging, and even a bit of lifting at the moment. Not sure what I can say to inspire you; I had my own motivation which obviously won't mean anything to you, but you just need to find your reason to make that change, and don't lose sight of that :-).

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat/fancy a bit of support etc!

xx
Reply 27
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Hi there.

Of course I don't think you're rude, I'll always answer anything anyone asks me :-).
I was 18 and a half stone when I started (:eek:- I know!) and am now around 13 and a half. I'm 5'9''.

Basically before I started I had such an unhealthy relationship with food. If I was feeling down I'd reach for crisps and biscuits, and I'd never do any exercise.

Now I only eat 1,200-1,500 cals per day, and do a lot of walking and jogging, and even a bit of lifting at the moment. Not sure what I can say to inspire you; I had my own motivation which obviously won't mean anything to you, but you just need to find your reason to make that change, and don't lose sight of that :-).

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat/fancy a bit of support etc!

xx

Woah congrats ! I bet that feels amazing, good luck with the rest :smile:
To lose weight you'll need to burn a considerable amount of calories higher than what you are eating per day. Therefore I'd advise maybe cutting down the amount of calories you're eating per day in order to be able to successfully burn more. Also I'd advise exercising every day so that you can burn the calories you're eating. However before doing this ask your doctor if it's safe for you to lose weight and how much you need to lose before making any drastic changes in your life.

Quick Reply

Latest