The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by RubyRuby94
I loved Othello, and 1984 too! What is Faustus about? x

Faustus is basically about some 'learned man' ( a boffin) who sells his soul to devil in return for anything he wants in the world.
Dont wanna spoil it for you buts its worth the read.
Reply 121
Original post by Alas, poor Yorick
I'm thinking of QMUL (switch from Glasgow) it's just I'm really not sure! Though it'll be for comparative literature because I feel the course is more 'me', hm.

Oh I see. Im really surprised QMUL ranked ninth for english though so it must be good. I personaly would love to do english and philosophy but I got a B in AS Philosophy so...not sure!
Original post by MzRay
Faustus is basically about some 'learned man' ( a boffin) who sells his soul to devil in return for anything he wants in the world.
Dont wanna spoil it for you buts its worth the read.

Ah thanks :smile: no it's cool- will get onto it :biggrin:
Reply 123
Quick question- I'm considering applying to Exeter to study English, but the required grades are listed as A*AA-AAB, and as my A-Level grade in English was an A whilst my other two were A*'s, does this mean I won't be considered at all, or is there still a chance because they say A*AA- AAB?
Anyone who has any knowledge it would be very appreciated!
Original post by eunoia
Quick question- I'm considering applying to Exeter to study English, but the required grades are listed as A*AA-AAB, and as my A-Level grade in English was an A whilst my other two were A*'s, does this mean I won't be considered at all, or is there still a chance because they say A*AA- AAB?
Anyone who has any knowledge it would be very appreciated!

They're A*AA-AAB? That's a weird range. If you're predicted A*A*A with the A in English that might raise suspicions about whether English is your best subject but you do meet most of their 'entry range'. Best thing to do is to pop an email to their admissions chaps, I think.
Are these universities realistic for me or am i being overly optimistic??

-sussex
-queen mary
-surry
-RH
-kent

i got predicted grades of AAB, which is high, but i know is mediocre for a subject like english lit.
it really bugs me that they ask for these grades, but there is no preference over what subject it is you have studied. I think its awful someone with a media or ICT A grade will be considered for a place but I won't because I will only get a B in history :colonhash:
My UCAS form has been processed and I am now officially applying to study English at Oxford, Durham, Newcastle, Sheffield and Leeds :biggrin:
Original post by Forget that
Are these universities realistic for me or am i being overly optimistic??

-sussex
-queen mary
-surry
-RH
-kent

i got predicted grades of AAB, which is high, but i know is mediocre for a subject like english lit.
it really bugs me that they ask for these grades, but there is no preference over what subject it is you have studied. I think its awful someone with a media or ICT A grade will be considered for a place but I won't because I will only get a B in history :colonhash:

HUGE agree! I have chosen all 'hard' subjects because I am interested in those subjects anyway but it is a source of annoyance to me that someone who does subjects which are considered academically 'softer' are still held on the same level.
Anyone else think that as there is a 'Further Maths' A level there should be a 'Further English Literature' A level? I'd do it :biggrin:
Original post by Obsidian
HUGE agree! I have chosen all 'hard' subjects because I am interested in those subjects anyway but it is a source of annoyance to me that someone who does subjects which are considered academically 'softer' are still held on the same level.
Anyone else think that as there is a 'Further Maths' A level there should be a 'Further English Literature' A level? I'd do it :biggrin:

I really don't understand this?? It's so unfair and just not right at all. I choose difficult subjects because i wanted a place in university. Now i find they want A grade in anything, and everything. There is no justice!!! The media teacher complimented my work and I don't even take the damn subject :dots:

hmm.. that depends, what would further english entail??
From the little I understand about the Further Maths A Level, it has to be completely different from Maths A level - take note I DO NOT DO/LIKE MATHS, therefore, I would suggest that Further English would entail study of a different genre/era in literature? What would you suggest?

Re. hard/soft subjects - let's just say its been a tough day.

Oh yes, I'd definitely be interested in a "Further Literature" A-level! Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how it would be assessed :tongue: Perhaps some form of prac crit/unseen text exercise?
Reply 131
Original post by Forget that
it really bugs me that they ask for these grades, but there is no preference over what subject it is you have studied.

Presumably, offer aside, which subjects you study is taken into account.
Original post by hannahwhelan
Oh yes, I'd definitely be interested in a "Further Literature" A-level! Unfortunately I'm not quite sure how it would be assessed :tongue: Perhaps some form of prac crit/unseen text exercise?

How about commentary of 'the owl and the nightingale' in the original late old/middle english? Or one of Ezra Pound's cantos? :P
LOVE the ideas :biggrin:

I think it would be really useful for preparing for potential University study (and I'm slightly jealous that Mathematical people get one and we don't)
Reply 134
My UCAS form has been processed and I am now officially applying to study English at Oxford, Durham, Newcastle, Sheffield and Leeds :biggrin:

Hope you choose wisely. :ninja:

Re: RHUL - I really liked it! Quite strange as I loved Leeds as well. I must say that Leeds' library looked absolutely amazing and overshadowed RHUL's (from what I could tell on the open day) but I did appreciate the close sense of community at RH.

Both sets of tutors seemed really dynamic to me (particularly in comparison one in which my family fell asleep :rolleyes:) but again, I am very aware that it was an open day and therefore, looks can be decieving.

Muffinz - can I ask what you have found (if anything) to be different about Leeds from your first impressions?

The main issue for me when I went to Open Days was always whether I would feel like I "fit in" on a certain campus - RHUL completely alienated me from a social perspective but I found Leeds a lot more neutral, with people from all walks of life (a lady in my French lang module is in her 70s!) and I'm really enjoying the entire experience of it, there's so much so do in the city, with people you know, and within the course itself. RHUL was very insular and pretensious to be honest, while Leeds is a lot more inclusive.

Do you mean the Brotherton library in the Parkinson Building? Yes, it's pretty amazing. The entrance level is a huge circular room, and the floor above it has all the books on literary criticism you could ever ask for, so you will use it :h: I've already taken out two books from there on Turn of the Screw and I'm loving the entire experience. Plus the lower levels feel like an archive and it's really narrow and filled top to bottom in books and it made me feel like Indiana Jones >_> There's also another library you'll use called Edward Boyle, which isn't nearly as awesome but is interesting on the inside and has all the necessary textbooks out on 7 day loans.

To be honest I think Leeds is a lot better after the Open Day, as you realise what it is to be a part of the student community as a whole and you're able to get into the swing of all the events and the facilities and stuff, rather than as an outsider looking through the window during an open day. It's an absolutely fantastic place and I'm loving it so far, especially the study mode!

I think this is more a comment on university education as a whole, but I loved this: never in my life before have I been set an essay prompt that is simply "write a short-ish essay on any part of the Turn of the Screw that you find interesting" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I love my Literature seminar now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
Hope you choose wisely. :ninja:

:laugh:
I'll try to!

I absolutely loved the look of Leeds on the open day I attended. The English department just seemed lovely! Everyone was really friendly, the course looked great and the campus was wonderful. I'd be really happy to go there, which is good, because it's supposed to be my insurance :colondollar: I've just got to hope that they offer me a place!
Original post by MSB
Presumably, offer aside, which subjects you study is taken into account.

I should hope so, but uni's haven't really been assuring me this. Kent is already offering anyone who gets three A's at a-level £2,000, including general studies. that is a great deal of money and it just seems unfair to me.

The complete irony is i got three a's a as level. i just continued with history because it helped me a lot with English, and i enjoy it more than politics.
sorry about the ranting, but i need somewhere to let the anger out :bird:
Reply 137
:laugh:
I'll try to!

I absolutely loved the look of Leeds on the open day I attended. The English department just seemed lovely! Everyone was really friendly, the course looked great and the campus was wonderful. I'd be really happy to go there, which is good, because it's supposed to be my insurance :colondollar: I've just got to hope that they offer me a place!

:smile: Best of luck! Leeds look more at the personal statement than anything else I think so if you've got a really passionate interest in literature that goes beyond your syllabus you'll be a shoe-in!

I think they like to see a spark of originality, or at least personal thought about novels - coming up with original ideas seems to be the main emphasis in my Prose module right now. In my PS I remember writing about how Brave New World can be seen as an allegory for the current trend of neoconservative expansionist policies in the westrn world (despite it being written 70+ years ago -_-) :P:
(edited 12 years ago)

Just thought I'd share this gem with you all... :h:

Just thought I'd share this gem with you all... :h:

Pretty standard day for me really.

Quick Reply

Latest