The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angelicus
Woooo...excitement! Is it at the cinema or just an at home kind of thing? I always wish I'd gone to one of the mama mia singalongs.

Are you into musicals?

It's at a cinema in Leicester Square. Happens about once a month in London and they tour all over the country too. They give you a party bag with special things to do at certain points in the movie and people dress up and there's a fancy dress parade (hence the nun costume :jebus: ) and people sing away and men dress up as nuns. It's generally brilliant! Plus going through Central London dressed as a nun is good fun. People give you seats on the Tube :awesome:

The Mamma Mia! singalongs in the cinema were great fun. Well, I had fun anyway. I think the (few) other people who were there thought me and my friends were a bit overexicted :biggrin:

I love musicals! :love:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I did buy the costume, I was just teasing :p:

Oh righto! Well reading from the above posts it sounds like it'll be a lot of fun :awesome: :woo:
:hmmm: Bad stuff, one of my friends is going to stop going to Cath Soc as she finds it intimidating and feels embarrassed she doesn't know her Faith as well as she thinks others do :colonhash: Any advice on how to get her back would be most welcome.
Original post by adamrules247
:hmmm: Bad stuff, one of my friends is going to stop going to Cath Soc as she finds it intimidating and feels embarrassed she doesn't know her Faith as well as she thinks others do :colonhash: Any advice on how to get her back would be most welcome.

That's why I never went to Oxford's Cath Soc/Cath Chaplaincy :yes: I think the key thing is to let her know that people won't judge her for what she doesn't know and that everyone is welcome :smile:
Original post by honestly
you are joking....

this has to be first year grad fooling about...... catholic society, might as well join the racist, rapists, paedophile, war mongering, hitler sponsoring, prison society, anti semite, anti knowledge, anti truth and a whole host of other anties

honestly

Kindly take your rants to the Atheist Society, or 'Ask A Christian' if you really must abuse someone. Your comments are not welcome here :nah:
i believe in god, but i believe the catholic church for a long time has been a criminal organisation,,,,, why do catholics just passively let their churchs terrible history be brushed aside, it has caused too much badness, far from christian.

they even made things up such as hell fire, trinity and sponsor pagan celebrations such as christmas

honestly

I ask again nicely that you leave, or I will report you :smile:
I ask again nicely that you leave, or I will report you :smile:

i have deleted my previous two comments:eek::redface:
i have deleted my previous two comments:eek::redface:

Thank you :smile:
That's why I never went to Oxford's Cath Soc/Cath Chaplaincy :yes: I think the key thing is to let her know that people won't judge her for what she doesn't know and that everyone is welcome :smile:

I know, I've tried to but she's very nervous. She actuaually reminds me of myself a few months ago. I guess I'll just have to pray on it.

I also see there's been a troll about :biggrin:
I know, I've tried to but she's very nervous. She actuaually reminds me of myself a few months ago. I guess I'll just have to pray on it.

I also see there's been a troll about :biggrin:

I think if you can show her that it's all friendly and that she won't be judged, that might help. Try and compromise with her: see if she'll go til Christmas or something like that :dontknow:

There was indeed :biggrin:
I think if you can show her that it's all friendly and that she won't be judged, that might help. Try and compromise with her: see if she'll go til Christmas or something like that :dontknow:

There was indeed :biggrin:

The go till Christmas idea is certainly a good one. I'll slip it into conversation at some point....

Also said the Rosary in Polish last night, fun!
The go till Christmas idea is certainly a good one. I'll slip it into conversation at some point....

Also said the Rosary in Polish last night, fun!

How on earth did you end up doing that? :biggrin:
How on earth did you end up doing that? :biggrin:

Well the Catholic society got invited along to this group which was mostly made up of Poles and Eastern Europeans (including the priest), so the Rosary was said in Polish, thankfully the rest of the event (including a talk on the Eucharist and praise and hymns was done in English) :colondollar:

Interesting the Hail Mary in Polish is quite a bit longer than the English.
Reply 3313
Wonderful thing done in mass today with yr 5s, really should become commonplace across churches for the next month or so...
A sign saying "and with your spirit" to be held up at the appropriate moments!
The first feast day for Blessed John Henry Newman is on Sunday.
Original post by Aula
Wonderful thing done in mass today with yr 5s, really should become commonplace across churches for the next month or so...
A sign saying "and with your spirit" to be held up at the appropriate moments!

Hahaha, we've been doing it fine thankfully; though the priest did say "This is the Gospel of the Lord". :angry:

Original post by barnetlad
The first feast day for Blessed John Henry Newman is on Sunday.

:woo: I wonder if they celebrate it in Scotland though.
Didn't get any sleep at all last night and still can't sleep now. Sliding back to where I was before. Extra prayers please :frown:
Didn't get any sleep at all last night and still can't sleep now. Sliding back to where I was before. Extra prayers please :frown:

Prayers said :console: Ask Mother Maria to help you :smile:
Prayers said :console: Ask Mother Maria to help you :smile:

Thank you. Let's see if She can help me sleep :smile:
Stephen Colbert, who's actually a Catechism teacher, and Jack White (of the Stripes/Raconeurs :wink:) doing a Catholic knowledge throw-down. Hilarious.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/390484/june-23-2011/exclusive---2011--a-rock-odyssey-featuring-jack-white---catholic-throwdown

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending