The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anterior view
Im not applying to sheffield but was talking to someone who said sheffield were thinking of ditching the ukcat. It obviously won't be this year but i'm sure ther will be less emphasis on it. You have a great score and im sure you will be fine. Give them a phone and say you desperately want to go there and see what they say. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.:colondollar:

Thank you :smile: I've emailed them to ask ... let's see what they say!
Original post by oldbatty
I read on one of the threads that at the open day that they were going to lower it this year. Try the sheffield thread if there is one.

i have :frown: no one knows ... :frown:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Barts and the London, hands down :ninja:

thats ur answer for everything :tongue:
good luck to everyone and enjoy your gap years :biggrin:
Reply 4104
Damn! I now have to send a detailed email to all Unis I want to apply to because I might be classed as an international student! :frown:
I've lived here for 16 years! Is this a problemo?
Reply 4105
Original post by Seb
Damn! I now have to send a detailed email to all Unis I want to apply to because I might be classed as an international student! :frown:
I've lived here for 16 years! Is this a problemo?

Why?
Reply 4106
Why?

My dad moved here for a better job.

lol, na it's because I phoned PMS and was like 'will this affect my application?'
they turned around and said 'well you'd better email us etc.'

Also last year newcastle sent me a massive form to fill in before my interview (which I obviously ****ted up), I s'pose they were hoping I was international to they could ag an extra £20k a year. we ain't got that kinda money!
So I'm emailing everyone!!!! Mwa hahaha
i applied today! i am really rethinking leicester...
i just want to get interviews :'(
also my school made me put that i was studying there til 2012 even though im not? all so i could get a predicted grade in extra subjects which i'm not even doing at school

anyone else do the same?
Well, I was 2 hours keeping up with the Apple conference... for nothing to be honest.

Now I need to finish my personal statement as my application has to be in by like tomorrow!
Original post by Lookout
I think if you were to give a totally balanced opinion then you ought to mention the awful all year round weather Scotland has, in particular constant rain which can be quite depressing.The long range winter forecast has to be just like the previous 2yrs with the chaotic snow forecast. You mention loch lomond which is indeed beautiful but infested with midges! and enjoying it in the rain is something you have to get used to.The city as you say has many great bars museums etc but so do most big cities look at edinburgh for example.The Glasgow course it's self hasn't been without it's problems, this is why they have dropped some pbl sessions as the Glasgow medical students were found 'wanting' compared to other medical schools. many of last years tsr applicants hated the glasgow interview due to the unfriendliness of the interviewers (check back and find them if you like) Aberdeen for example has a very friendly interview panel apparently.Glasgow and the west is saddled with the embarrassing bigotry that does not seem quite the same in the east. There is no point in suggesting you avoid certain pubs as it's everywhere. I know I've gone to school in Glasgow all my life!

How would you know this? Evidence?

My interviewers were both great.

I was born and lived in Glasgow for a lot of my life, lived and worked in Edinburgh and Manchester, St. andrews, Stirling and various other places including abroad. My view of my home city is more positive than yours obviously seems to be. I take it you will not be applying there then?
Reply 4110
Original post by superG123
i applied today! i am really rethinking leicester...
i just want to get interviews :'(
also my school made me put that i was studying there til 2012 even though im not? all so i could get a predicted grade in extra subjects which i'm not even doing at school

anyone else do the same?

I can't believe your school is actually doing that. That is so wrong !!!!! and I don't understand how that would help your application since you're re-applicant, aren't you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Last day of working on my personal statement!
Guys! In education I just put GCSEs and A Levels right? Thanks ^^
Reply 4113
Original post by areyousure?
Guys! In education I just put GCSEs and A Levels right? Thanks ^^

That's all I did as I was told that I technically didnt have AS levels as they had been converted to A levels
Guys, did you leave a space between each paragraph on your personal statement? Also I need to choose between Southampton or BSMS.... what should I do?

That's all I did as I was told that I technically didnt have AS levels as they had been converted to A levels

thank you :biggrin:
BSMS probably slightly safer as Southampton is a total lottery but essentially up to where you would like to be :smile:
Original post by gloriousballs
BSMS probably slightly safer as Southampton is a total lottery but essentially up to where you would like to be :smile:

Yeah but as a resit, BSMS want A*AA and Soton AAA... I don't think I can get an A* in Chemistry sooo I'm going for Southampton. Lets hope I win the lottery !
Reply 4117
Mother****er!! I don't know where to apply!! ARGHHH!!
right so I emailed Sheffield to ask whether it was true that their cut-off may decrease this year and I was told that they don't know of the cut-off till Nov when they have all the UKCAT scores.

So it seems like they're neutral on that subject and like nearly every med school, will not comment on the cut-off at all.

So is it a rumour that Sheffield said the cut-off will decrease then?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4119
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
right so I emailed Sheffield to ask whether it was true that their cut-off may decrease this year and I was told that they don't know of the cut-off till Nov when they have all the UKCAT scores.

So it seems like they're neutral on that subject and like nearly every med school, will not comment on the cut-off at all.

So is it a rumour that Sheffield said the cut-off will decrease then?

Check their website - there is a line on there which suggests they are estimating the cutoff to be around 700 I think. But of course, they won't know if that will actually happen until they get all the results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending