The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Ugh, visa issues with Edinburgh.
Hey guys, I am about to finish year 12 in australia and head back to my beloved singapore to do NS. I was wondering though, how do I go about getting a reference for my future UCAS application. As I understand it, the teacher has to do it online and this is where my problem arises. If I have to go back to serve NS and can only apply in 2 years, how do I still get a reference for my UCAS application?

Thanks guys.
hey, i'm starting uni this year! anyone here going to QUB for medicine??
Reply 2763
anyone knows any organization that provides scholarships for international students apart from those in Singapore? SG scholarships are quite hard to fight for. On top of that my grades are mediocre.
Reply 2764
Original post by madfreakz
Hey guys, I am about to finish year 12 in australia and head back to my beloved singapore to do NS. I was wondering though, how do I go about getting a reference for my future UCAS application. As I understand it, the teacher has to do it online and this is where my problem arises. If I have to go back to serve NS and can only apply in 2 years, how do I still get a reference for my UCAS application?

Thanks guys.

Is there still an option where you can type in what your referee wrote? I got my tutor to write a proper reference letter for me and I typed it in myself. Anyway, depending on when you finish your NS, you can apply for deferred entry. I applied in 2009 for deferred entry in 2011/2012 during the 2010/2011 cycle.
Original post by jingyao
Is there still an option where you can type in what your referee wrote? I got my tutor to write a proper reference letter for me and I typed it in myself. Anyway, depending on when you finish your NS, you can apply for deferred entry. I applied in 2009 for deferred entry in 2011/2012 during the 2010/2011 cycle.

Thanks, but I don't think there's that option. It's alright anyway, my school teacher has been kind and offered to do it write one for me now and upload it whenever I need. Do you happen to know if applying for deferred entry would restrict your chances of admissions in any way? Let's say for Cambridge, UCL, KCL LSE ect.
aint really easy to mingle with the flatmates!
Reply 2767
any singaporeans going to bristol in 2012?
Anyone applying for LSoP? (:
Reply 2769
Why do Singaporeans have to take the IELTS test when we already spent our entire prior academic lives studying English as our first language? I achieved an A1 for GCE O Levels but I guess that's not enough for them. Just read through the sample test questions.. so bloody simple.. What a waste of money!
Reply 2770
They do? The universities that I've looked at doesn't require Singaporeans to do them - and for those that say South East Asian countries (or countries that are not blahblahblah) must do, I send them an email and they clarify to say Singaporeans don't need to take.
Original post by Zyckx
Why do Singaporeans have to take the IELTS test when we already spent our entire prior academic lives studying English as our first language? I achieved an A1 for GCE O Levels but I guess that's not enough for them. Just read through the sample test questions.. so bloody simple.. What a waste of money!

Only certain schools require them, and yes it's really irritating. I don't see how most Singaporeans who actually qualify to go overseas to study, can do badly in English.
Original post by Zyckx

Original post by Narev
They do? The universities that I've looked at doesn't require Singaporeans to do them - and for those that say South East Asian countries (or countries that are not blahblahblah) must do, I send them an email and they clarify to say Singaporeans don't need to take.

Original post by whitelily29
Only certain schools require them, and yes it's really irritating. I don't see how most Singaporeans who actually qualify to go overseas to study, can do badly in English.

Hey guys,
I'm applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC.... I've heard back from all but Cambridge about this IELTS exam... Apparently, all of us MUST take the exam. It's no longer the university requirements, but the UK borders countrol (forgot the exact name... some immigration department) policy. :frown:
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Hey guys,
I'm applying to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and RVC.... I've heard back from all but Cambridge about this IELTS exam... Apparently, all of us MUST take the exam. It's no longer the university requirements, but the UK borders countrol (forgot the exact name... some immigration department) policy. :frown:

really? i thought some of us had unconditional offers?
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Hey guys,

O.O Wow. So it's a completely new requirement? How things have changed in one year...
Original post by BrilliantMinds
really? i thought some of us had unconditional offers?

I don't think it's the university that requires it.... it's the Visa problem.
Here is a problem that keep baffling me since my IELTS test just now! For reading module, are T, F and NG acceptable as True, False and Not Given respectively? I've made a huge mistake I'm afraid, and I noticed that minutes after time's up. :frown: Can someone please clarify me as soon as possible? Thanks in advance.
Reply 2777
Any singaporeans headed to bristol in 2012?
Can anyone give me an idea of what it's like to live in Singapore?
I'm hoping to go to Nanyang Technological University for an exchange next year :smile:
Original post by GingerGoat
Can anyone give me an idea of what it's like to live in Singapore?
I'm hoping to go to Nanyang Technological University for an exchange next year :smile:

Well, living in Singapore, one doesn't have to worry about food...:smile: & shopping...

NTU is away from the city bustle. My impression of it is that the campus is spacious with many trees.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest