Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa88)
    Applying to Government and Economics!

8 A*s and 2 As at GCSE.
    AAAA at AS in Economics, History, Maths and Critical Thinking. Got a C in Philosophy which was massively disappointing.
    Predicted A* A* A* A* in Economics, History, Maths and Philosophy (will be retaking the Philosophy and my teacher assumes I'll do a lot better...)
    Also doing the EPQ/AQA Bacc.
    My personal statement is good, I have good work experience and pretty good wider study. Reference should be fine too. Obviously the major blot is the C in Philosophy... I'm hoping they'll not scratch me off the list straight away because of it! I'd really love to go to LSE, my first choice uni I think.

Good luck to all fellow applicants!
    I got on to Government this year with AABB so I wouldn't really worry. Your GCSEs are similar to mine, but, yeah, as I say, C in Philosophy shouldn't damage your chances too much

ReputationRep:
    is it possible to get into lse for economics with A*A*AA prediction but really bad gcse's and a strong personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihategeography)
    is it possible to get into lse for economics with A*A*AA prediction but really bad gcse's and a strong personal statement?
    Maybe, but most likely no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American and will be applying for International Relations. LSE is my first choice of everywhere I'm applying, although Oxford (PPE) is a close second (but to be perfectly honest that's largely due to Oxford's very esteemed reputation in the US).

I will be applying with mostly predicted scores. Will this substantially hurt my application? I know a lot of students in the UK do as well, but I only have 5 scores to send (they are US AP scores, and only one is a 5, the rest are 4s). I really don't want the 4s to hurt my application, but I guess I need something to show that I actually did work over the last three years. I self-studied all of them as well (so I had no formal instruction whatsoever) but I think that means a lot more in the US than it does in the UK...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aluu93)
    Anyone else here applying for 'Economics and Economic History'?

GCSEs:10/10 A*s
    AS Levels: 3As and a B (none cashed in)
    A2 Level Predictions: History (A*) Economics (A*) Maths (A) French AS (A) Further Maths AS (A)
    Goodish personal statement I believe, I'm surprised why many don't apply to this course, it seems really interesting!

I'm applying for Economic history with Economics and i've already sent my ucas. And i 'm from mainland China
    I got 5A* 4A in my Igcses, A in AS history, A in AS physics, A in AS economics and A in ALEVEL maths(which i did in my as year). I am continuing economics and history in my A2 year as well as further maths(alevel). My PS is ...good i think ,but im really afraid that i put too much emphasis on economics rather than history T A T

I dont know my predictions cause the teachers at our school arent allowed to tell us, but i got 100%in Economics and 93%in history, i think they will predict a A* for me.... As for further maths i have been working very hard and i think i would have at least earned a predicted A.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm applying for Government & History too! Can't believe there are only 15 places on the course!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihategeography)
    very unlikely, as you hate Geography, which is largely relevant to Economics. LOL

ReputationRep:
    GEOGRAPHY. but i'm still a bit undecisive on whether i should choose geography or environment and development......E&D seems to be quite a unique (apparently LSE is the only institute that has this course) course, but i'm particularly interested in this field.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for International Relations, really dead-set on LSE so I hope I get an offer! Anyone else applying for IR?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im applying for Accounting and Finance.
    LSE says it may take up to 3 months to get back to you, does this mean if they like people they will start to give offers out straight after october 15th. What would happen if i sent my application of this week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Hi, im applying for Accounting and Finance.
    LSE says it may take up to 3 months to get back to you, does this mean if they like people they will start to give offers out straight after october 15th. What would happen if i sent my application of this week?
    They may give out the rare offer early, but they tend to hang on until all applications are in (so mid-Jan) then give them out in a cycle of offer/rejection on alternating Fridays until they're all done, which may not be until the end of March/beginning of April.

ReputationRep:
    These *******s rejected me last year saying 'Your personal statement was good, but not as good as others'. Grrr .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlyskin)
    Hey, I'm going to be starting Politics and Philosophy next month, moving into halls in a couple of days, so if anyone's got any questions about applying or whatever, feel free to ask! Can't believe it's two years since I applied

I'd be interested to know your Alevel subjects, GCSE and AS grades, what you got overall, what LSE's offer was, and how life at LSE is ?

Also LSE are known for their tendency to put lots of emphasis on GCSEs, however have you ever spoken to/met an LSE student who had mediocre GCSE grades - by mediocre I mean 2/3 A*s, a couple of As, Bs and Cs, ended up getting good AS grades, got predicted 3As and was given an offer? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I got on to Government this year with AABB so I wouldn't really worry. Your GCSEs are similar to mine, but, yeah, as I say, C in Philosophy shouldn't damage your chances too much
    I'm unsure whether to apply for government at LSE.. my AS grades weren't great :s AABBD (arabic, sociology, gov&politics, english lit and french) although I am predicted A*AA and i'm doing the EPQ this year.. my gcse results aren't outstanding either. A*A*A*AAAABBCC.

Would you advice me to go for it? I'm aware I will be competing with students with a string of A* at gcse's and this put me off..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fofo)
    I'd be interested to know your Alevel subjects, GCSE and AS grades, what you got overall, what LSE's offer was, and how life at LSE is ?

Also LSE are known for their tendency to put lots of emphasis on GCSEs, however have you ever spoken to/met an LSE student who had mediocre GCSE grades - by mediocre I mean 2/3 A*s, a couple of As, Bs and Cs, ended up getting good AS grades, got predicted 3As and was given an offer? Thanks
    I did Politics, Maths, Chemistry, got A*AB in that order, Further Maths AS at A - my offer was AAB. My GCSEs were 8 A*s and 5As, life at LSE is good thanks! Very busy already, far too much reading to do, but we don't start classes until week 3 (week after next) so I don't think I can really comment on everything yet! We're just doing lectures at the moment, and I've only had two - next two tomorrow.

I haven't asked a single person what they did at A Level and what grades they got, same with GCSE, because that's all behind us now. We all got in and we're all doing our degrees now, I don't see the need to ever bring it up! A few people have asked me but I could tell they were only doing it in a competitive way, and made sure they told me their results if they'd done better than me.

ReputationRep:
    I did Politics, Maths, Chemistry, got A*AB in that order, Further Maths AS at A - my offer was AAB. My GCSEs were 8 A*s and 5As, life at LSE is good thanks! Very busy already, far too much reading to do, but we don't start classes until week 3 (week after next) so I don't think I can really comment on everything yet! We're just doing lectures at the moment, and I've only had two - next two tomorrow.

I haven't asked a single person what they did at A Level and what grades they got, same with GCSE, because that's all behind us now. We all got in and we're all doing our degrees now, I don't see the need to ever bring it up! A few people have asked me but I could tell they were only doing it in a competitive way, and made sure they told me their results if they'd done better than me.
    Ah I see, well congratulations on getting in, and wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    LSE Economics, Economics and Economics History

GCSE 12A*, (A in FSMQ Maths)(plus 2A* in RE shortcourse and Electronics)
    AS-Level
    Economics 100 average
    History 99 average
    A-Level maths 588/600 (C3 100/100 C4 99/100) so A* :cool:
    Physics 271/300
    Critical thinking 182/200 pointless subject.

What do people think about applying to two courses at LSE. My Personal statement is tailored towards Economic History. I have sent my application off, this week.I'm also applying to Cambridge, UCL and St. Andrews for pure economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fofo)
    I'm unsure whether to apply for government at LSE.. my AS grades weren't great :s AABBD (arabic, sociology, gov&politics, english lit and french) although I am predicted A*AA and i'm doing the EPQ this year.. my gcse results aren't outstanding either. A*A*A*AAAABBCC.

Would you advice me to go for it? I'm aware I will be competing with students with a string of A* at gcse's and this put me off..
    As a student, I'm not really in the best position to say 'do this' or 'don't do that'. I would say, however, that one should be optimistic of an offer with those grades, a decent PS and a glowing reference

ReputationRep:
    A few people have asked me but I could tell they were only doing it in a competitive way, and made sure they told me their results if they'd done better than me.
    haha, I didn't do that did I? cringe if I did

ReputationRep:
    Applied for Management 3 weeks ago already

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.