The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3620
Original post by FDR
My schools Physics department are refusing to predict anyone A*s, however they have put in my reference that they expect me to achieve an A* (so, to summarise, are predicting me an A, but have said they expect an A* - nonsensical much?) and my econ department are still in two minds about whether to predict me an A or A* (probably an A) and I'm predicted an A in maths.

At the moment my choices are:

St Andrews
Notts
Exeter
York
Royal Holloway

are these realistic? I've been debating whether to be daring and replace Exeter with either Durham or preferably Warwick, is this a good idea? (I'm more worried about actually receiving an offer rather than meeting an A*AA offer, although this probably just sounds big headed).

Replace it yeah :smile: Your choices are very well balanced as it is and I would be very surprised if you didn't get an offer from both York and RHUL
Original post by Tateco
Replace it yeah :smile: Your choices are very well balanced as it is and I would be very surprised if you didn't get an offer from both York and RHUL

Tateco, where are you applying/applied?
Reply 3622
Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks
Tateco, where are you applying/applied?

Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham. Still considering LSE instead of Nottingham but not long to go now! You?
Original post by FDR
My schools Physics department are refusing to predict anyone A*s, however they have put in my reference that they expect me to achieve an A* (so, to summarise, are predicting me an A, but have said they expect an A* - nonsensical much?) and my econ department are still in two minds about whether to predict me an A or A* (probably an A) and I'm predicted an A in maths.

St Andrews
Notts
Exeter
York
Royal Holloway

are these realistic? I've been debating whether to be daring and replace Exeter with either Durham or preferably Warwick, is this a good idea? (I'm more worried about actually receiving an offer rather than meeting an A*AA offer, although this probably just sounds big headed).

What Tateco said :smile: You have a good range there so you can afford to risk one or two options :biggrin:

Also that doesn't sound big headed. In my opinion, getting the offers is harder than getting the grades because so many there are so many more deciding factors in an application :s-smilie:
Original post by Tateco
Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham. Still considering LSE instead of Nottingham but not long to go now! You?

Cambridge, LSE, Nottingham, UCL/Warwick and Birmingham. But I REALLY have my heart set on LSE and Cambridge. What course are you considering at LSE? surely not straight econ?
And what college have you chosen, I've nearly decided, Magdelene, Churchill or Homerton, would LOVE some advice!
Reply 3625
Cambridge, LSE, Nottingham, UCL/Warwick and Birmingham. But I REALLY have my heart set on LSE and Cambridge. What course are you considering at LSE? surely not straight econ?
And what college have you chosen, I've nearly decided, Magdelene, Churchill or Homerton, would LOVE some advice!

How were your UMS like?
Reply 3626
AS: Eco - A (top 200 in UK)
Maths - B (A's in C1 and C2, M1 brought it down)
History - B (Resitting Jan 2012)
Philosophy - B (2 UMS off A)
Chemistry - C (2 UMS off B)

A2 Predictions: Economics A*
Maths A
History A

Trying to cut down to 5 from:

Warwick
Exeter
St. Andrews
Nottingham
Durham
Lancaster
Southampton
Edinburgh

Any thoughts?

Warwick also says you need A level: A*AA (to include A2 Maths) + A in 4th AS subject/Extended Project or A*AA (to include A2 Maths)+ B or above in 4th A2 subject. Is it worth doing an EP?
Average across top-four is 94%, 12a*s at GCSE.
Reply 3628

You've got very strong results. It's up to you really on which you prefer. Although I think Homerton has the best ratio out of the 3 you mentioned.
Original post by zxh800
You've got very strong results. It's up to you really on which you prefer. Although I think Homerton has the best ratio out of the 3 you mentioned.

Are you applying to Cambridge? If so which college?
Reply 3630

Why not straight Econ? :s-smilie:

I've chosen Emmanuel :smile: And Homerton is my favourite out of those three
Reply 3631
Are you applying to Cambridge? If so which college?

Churchill. Are you applying for a joint course at LSE then?
Original post by Tateco
Why not straight Econ? :s-smilie:

I've chosen Emmanuel :smile: And Homerton is my favourite out of those three

Well, I know three people who have been accepted into Cmabridge but rejected from Straight econ at LSE. Nobody in my school has EVER got in for straight econ.
Original post by zxh800
Churchill. Are you applying for a joint course at LSE then?

Yes, maths and econ most likely.
Reply 3634
Original post by FDR

St Andrews
Notts
Exeter
York
Royal Holloway

Lol, in almost the exact same situation as you :tongue: Though I dropped Physics and it's the maths department that told me they think I'll get an A* but are predicting me an A (wtf?) -.- :tongue:

Your choices seem pretty solid. Warwick is really competitive so I'd recommend looking at their specific requirements but I don't think it's wrong to have two "reaches" in your options (followed by two solid choices and one back up). Personally though, I'd go for Durham > Exeter - both are A*AA.

Isn't Notts now A*AA though? Three A*AAs might be pushing it.

And maybe Manchester instead of Royal Holloway? I know it's your insurance (ABB) but Manchester is higher rated and only AAB.
Reply 3635
Yes, maths and econ most likely.

Ooooh, me too.
Reply 3636
Original post by zxh800
Ooooh, me too.

You tailoring your PS or not?
Reply 3637
Original post by Tateco
You tailoring your PS or not?

I spoke a bit about Maths but always linking it into Econ. I just hope it'll be enough to satisfy the LSE admissions tutors but not so much that UCL filter me out.
Reply 3638
I am really not sure what unis to apply for and aim for.
This is my situation:
GCSE : (3A*, 4A*, 3B):frown:
AS Results : (Econ : A, Maths : A, ICT :A , Business :A, Chinese : C)
Now i have dropped business and have taken on further maths for AS.

I know that my subject choices are bad, :mad:but what sorts of unis should i am for? :confused:

Im currently thinking of

York,
Leicester,
Leeds,
City,
(and one more)

I really want to do Financial Economics or Economics with/and Finance

Are these realistic for me considering my subjects? And what other unis do you guys recommend? Should i be looking for lower down unis?
Reply 3639
Original post by zxh800

I'm studying Economics at Homerton. I also think you should apply to Homerton..you should get in with your grades aswell long as your interview goes well:biggrin:
And why don't you apply Pure Econ at LSE!

Latest

Trending

Trending