The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by Aemiliana

I just bought a mooncup (my SU sell them for a tenner - there was really no excuse!). I just tried it out and it was a little painful at first to put it in, but I sorted it. When I took it out, there was some blood in it. Now, I think I'm due my period and I think I've being having pre-period cramps so hopefully it was just that. I know I'm probably being a bit of a twit, but there's no chance I removed it badly and damaged myself is there? The size of the thing still scares me to be honest!

You could have scratched yourself with your nails, but that's the most it could really be. If you had done anything you would know as you'd be in pain!

Anyway, I know you've got your Mooncup now, but there are smaller cups out there. I use a MeLuna, and the small size is seriously teensy.
Original post by Teao the Cat
It'll be your period, don't worry. There aren't any bits on the cup sharp enough to cut yourself!

Original post by Juno
You could have scratched yourself with your nails, but that's the most it could really be. If you had done anything you would know as you'd be in pain!

Anyway, I know you've got your Mooncup now, but there are smaller cups out there. I use a MeLuna, and the small size is seriously teensy.

Thanks guys, it was definitely my period and nothing hurts, I don't think I scratched myself as that was probably too much blood for that. I've taken it out/put it back in a few times (I'm still getting used to positioning it) and the size is fine now - you can't even feel it when it's in! Now I just need to see if it leaks (if it does the leaflet says it's more likely to be a positioning issues anyway). If it doesn't then this thing is an actual life changer.

I don't understand why it's gross either, to be honest
Reply 802

Thanks guys, it was definitely my period and nothing hurts, I don't think I scratched myself as that was probably too much blood for that. I've taken it out/put it back in a few times (I'm still getting used to positioning it) and the size is fine now - you can't even feel it when it's in! Now I just need to see if it leaks (if it does the leaflet says it's more likely to be a positioning issues anyway). If it doesn't then this thing is an actual life changer.

I don't understand why it's gross either, to be honest

Leaking can also be a sign that the cup design is not right for you - the other brands are different shapes so fit differently. I talk about this a lot because some people think Mooncups are the only brand and then give up if they're not right, but it was far too long for me whilst my MeLuna is perfect. They're also cheaper (although some are more expensive).

And some people find anything to do with periods icky. Some people only use applicator tampons, and others won't even use tampons at all.
I actually found tampons and pads more gross than a mooncup- tampons look like dead white mice covered in blood, and I find the idea of all the blood sat next to my skin on a pad a bit eugh, as opposed to it just sitting in the cup until I empty it down the loo- easy!
I actually found tampons and pads more gross than a mooncup- tampons look like dead white mice covered in blood, and I find the idea of all the blood sat next to my skin on a pad a bit eugh, as opposed to it just sitting in the cup until I empty it down the loo- easy!

Agreed. I think its just because everyone's used to using pads/tampons and anything other than the norm is 'gross' when it comes to periods. :s-smilie: hopefully the mooncup momentum will continue to build though! :smile:
I am so glad I got the mooncup. I couldn't go for a smaller one because my periods can be a little heavy but it stays in place and I can't feel it so all's good. I've recommended it to my Mum, but she has really heavy periods, so I was wondering if anyone knew which cups held what? :h:
Your mum would need the bigger one (purely as shes a mum sort of thing :tongue:) I had heavy periods and mine used to last about 8 hours or so :smile:
Reply 807

I am so glad I got the mooncup. I couldn't go for a smaller one because my periods can be a little heavy but it stays in place and I can't feel it so all's good. I've recommended it to my Mum, but she has really heavy periods, so I was wondering if anyone knew which cups held what? :h:

this site has everything, including a capcity chart
Original post by Sephrenia
Your mum would need the bigger one (purely as shes a mum sort of thing :tongue:) I had heavy periods and mine used to last about 8 hours or so :smile:

Well she has to to go through 2 super tampons each night at her heaviest so I was wondering more about that.

Original post by Juno
this site has everything, including a capcity chart

Ah thanks! (More questions) Has anyone used the MeLuna ones before? Their XL seems to have a massive capacity. :eek: I don't even want to think about the size of it!
Reply 809

Ah thanks! (More questions) Has anyone used the MeLuna ones before? Their XL seems to have a massive capacity. :eek: I don't even want to think about the size of it!

*points at previous posts*
Reply 810
I just bought a mooncup (my SU sell them for a tenner - there was really no excuse!). I just tried it out and it was a little painful at first to put it in, but I sorted it. When I took it out, there was some blood in it. Now, I think I'm due my period and I think I've being having pre-period cramps so hopefully it was just that. I know I'm probably being a bit of a twit, but there's no chance I removed it badly and damaged myself is there? The size of the thing still scares me to be honest!

£10?! I got mine in boots for over 20! :mad:
Original post by Yazmina

Original post by Yazmina
£10?! I got mine in boots for over 20! :mad:

They're normally £20 but my SU's women's officer must have felt that they were worth getting cheaper :dontknow:
fml, left my mooncup soaking in miltons for ~7 weeks (since the end of my last period; I skipped one on my pill). I COMPLETELY forgot it was in a tupperware in my drawer, went to get my mooncup out because my period is due soon and found it there. It's gone completely white. Other than that it seems fine but not sure whether it's safe to use? Don't want to have to buy a new one :frown:
Reply 813
Original post by Anonymous

fml, left my mooncup soaking in miltons for ~7 weeks (since the end of my last period; I skipped one on my pill). I COMPLETELY forgot it was in a tupperware in my drawer, went to get my mooncup out because my period is due soon and found it there. It's gone completely white. Other than that it seems fine but not sure whether it's safe to use? Don't want to have to buy a new one :frown:

Personally I would clean it again, but then it should be ok to use.

My mooncup split because I regularly left it in a weak milton solution for a few days at a time... I think it weakens the silicone because I haven't bothered with milton for this one, just boiled water and the difference is obvious.

I did this with my divacup, it went back to being clear after a few days of drying out and has been fine. I've noticed cups do that if you leave them soaking for a few days, but they do recover, at least mine have.
"Hmmm I wonder what this is"

*enters thread and reads first bit of OP*

:zomg:

I'll leave you girls be :tongue:
Reply 817
I don't own a Mooncup but a couple of Lunette Menstrual Cups and they are FANTASTIC! This is way better than sliced bread lol. I have a blue and and a purple one :biggrin:

I highly recommend to any girls and they are miles better than any disposable products
(edited 12 years ago)
You can get them in colours! I didn't know that, my poor plain mooncup looks boring now! :tongue:
Reply 819
You can get them in colours! I didn't know that, my poor plain mooncup looks boring now! :tongue:

Oh yea! :nutcase:

There are loads of menstrual cup manufacturers out there that do different colours.
This website does different variations of menstrual cups and in different colours.
Ebay is another good place to look for them :smile: :youbetcha:

Quick Reply

Latest