The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aristotle's' disciple
woo, i did q4 of step i 2005 today, i was pleased, my second serious attempt and it was also successful! But i know 2005 is the easy paper so i'm not too happy either way.

merked it fam! :d
Reply 1741
Original post by Rebellious-Steve
Now that I am doing Maths in University, it's surprising how many idiots manage to get in there. It's like I'm in A-level again.

Really? My experience is the opposite... or maybe I'm one of the idiots. :cool:
Well just been looking at this thread, and I'm applying and sending of my Ucas in the next few days. I just wanted a verdict really.

I have 6A*s, 3 As and a B at gcse.

Im studying maths,further maths, chemistry and economics at A level.
I got An A in A2 maths( 1ums of an A* ...93 in c4, 86 in c3) Damn the c3 exam i messed one question up!
And a High A in economics, and a B in chemistry.

I am predicted A*(maths) A* (economics) A(fmaths) B(chemistry)

I was thinking of applying to these 5

Lse- Maths and economics
Warwick- Morse
Bath - Maths
Durham - Maths
Ucl - Maths

I know it looks like i have no insurance, but i wouldn't want to apply somewhere i wouldn't go so I've stuck to those 5.
Any advice? thanks
Original post by tonymanny
Well just been looking at this thread, and I'm applying and sending of my Ucas in the next few days. I just wanted a verdict really.

I have 6A*s, 3 As and a B at gcse.

Im studying maths,further maths, chemistry and economics at A level.
I got An A in A2 maths( 1ums of an A* ...93 in c4, 86 in c3) Damn the c3 exam i messed one question up!
And a High A in economics, and a B in chemistry.

I am predicted A*(maths) A* (economics) A(fmaths) B(chemistry)

I was thinking of applying to these 5

Lse- Maths and economics
Warwick- Morse
Bath - Maths
Durham - Maths
Ucl - Maths

I know it looks like i have no insurance, but i wouldn't want to apply somewhere i wouldn't go so I've stuck to those 5.
Any advice? thanks

Can I confirm, since I did it like you, that your teacher can predict you an A* for normal maths even though you've already done it?
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Can I confirm, since I did it like you, that your teacher can predict you an A* for normal maths even though you've already done it?

yh leave it as pending :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
yh leave it as pending :colone:

What you mean? Imma do that for C3 and C4 anyways bladrin, but will they actually predict me an A*?
i have left it as pending, and yeah my teachers have predicted it me cause i got 90's in all other maths modules? but if you get a very high A first time round you should get an A* prediction i guess? Now what do you think of my uni choices hahaha
Now that I am doing Maths in University, it's surprising how many idiots manage to get in there. It's like I'm in A-level again.

Original post by Zuzuzu
Really? My experience is the opposite... or maybe I'm one of the idiots. :cool:

People have told me that for the first six months, you wonder how on earth you got in, but after that, you wonder how most of the other people got in. Any truth in that, in your opinions? :smile:

Ooh this is encouraging :smile: :smile: Will further maths help too?

where do you go if you don't mind me asking ?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ooh this is encouraging :smile: :smile: Will further maths help too?

It'll help more with your application than the actual course itself since you'll be taught with people who haven't done Further Maths and the lecturers will go over everything you're required to know, though it will help with your understanding when a module with some of the Further Maths work comes up. Though with some of the top Universities for Mathematics such as Cambridge, Warwick etc, it's basically compulsory that you take Further Mathematics, so in those cases it'll be much more useful.

I'd personally say it's a lot of help since it'll improve your Maths over regular A-level Mathematics and it'll help a lot with your application if you decided to go towards Mathematics.
Original post by like_a_star
where do you go if you don't mind me asking ?

I do MMath at Cardiff University.
It'll help more with your application than the actual course itself since you'll be taught with people who haven't done Further Maths and the lecturers will go over everything you're required to know, though it will help with your understanding when a module with some of the Further Maths work comes up. Though with some of the top Universities for Mathematics such as Cambridge, Warwick etc, it's basically compulsory that you take Further Mathematics, so in those cases it'll be much more useful.

I'd personally say it's a lot of help since it'll improve your Maths over regular A-level Mathematics and it'll help a lot with your application if you decided to go towards Mathematics.

an single A* in A level mathematics is a very poor judgement of suitability for a maths degree imo.

Oh ok thank you :smile: I just thought becuase i did an FSMQ in year 11 which contained most of C1/C2 so i felt pretty comfortbale doing them this year and so redoing units that were in further maths wont be a bad thing!!! :smile: Yeah im not applying to the top ones.....

I think it will be....thats why i took it... :biggrin: And yep im applying for maths so...

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by House Dagoth
an single A* in A level mathematics is a very poor judgement of suitability for a maths degree imo.

The same applies for Further Maths. Both A-levels are relatively easy and are hardly Mathematics to begin with.

That's all subjective. At a mediocre university an A* would be sufficient. At Oxbridge/Warwick and Imperial, you'd likely be needing a strong score in STEP to cope well, let alone getting A*s in Maths and Further Maths, if it comes down to it, getting an A in Further Maths and a S/1 in STEP is better than getting an A* and a 2/3 in STEP. It all depends on the difficulty and pace of the course.
The same applies for Further Maths. Both A-levels are relatively easy and are hardly Mathematics to begin with.

agree and disagree.

A level maths might be a doss, but it is not so easy to get the A* in further maths (but still, not too difficult either).

STEP is the big hurdle :eek:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
That's all subjective. At a mediocre university an A* would be sufficient. At Oxbridge/Warwick and Imperial, you'd likely be needing a strong score in STEP to cope well, let alone getting A*s in Maths and Further Maths, if it comes down to it, getting an A in Further Maths and a S/1 in STEP is better than getting an A* and a 2/3 in STEP. It all depends on the difficulty and pace of the course.

yeah you're right. I didn't take into account that difficulty of course varies between universities :facepalm: ah well

agree and disagree.

A level maths might be a doss, but it is not so easy to get the A* in further maths (but still, not too difficult either).

STEP is the big hurdle :eek:

*gulps nervously*
lol you guys all seem to gave been doing STEP for months, make me feel a tad nervous about interview =p

Latest