The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by jfranks
im african english mix.
my parents wont care as long as they are christian. but my mum for some reason wouldnt get along with an asian son-in-law and discourages that idea. not to mention the weird looking baby :s

Weird baby?
Original post by Ebuwa
Weird baby?

weird baby, how racist!!!!!!!!
Reply 202
Original post by Amywoody2009
weird baby, how racist!!!!!!!!

Read the post I quoted which said ;

Originally Posted by jfranks
im african english mix.
my parents wont care as long as they are christian. but my mum for some reason wouldnt get along with an asian son-in-law and discourages that idea. not to mention the weird looking baby :s

Thats why I said , weird looking baby? It was for him to clarify. So next time read the quote properly before you call me racist.
There's a programme on tonight called Mixed Britannia on BBC2 at 9pm, all about interracial couples. And then there's a report on Newsnight tonight about mixed race people.

Anyone gonna watch?
My parents and relative wouldn't care more or less who i date! at the end of the day it's my life and no one can dictate on my choices on the type of guy i should date. I find it so out-dated and pretty narrow minded of parent not allowing their children to date people from different races. I think interracial dating is absolutely beautiful, I dated an american guy once and had no problem with that !
My parents wouldn't care , I'm mixed race half white/black anyway.
They'd be more concerned with whether they are a good person for me.
I'm usually always attracted to white guys more than other races.
Reply 206
I've married outside my race. Parents weren't happy at first, but once they got to know him they approved.
Reply 207
I'm mixed-race myself, so unless I marry someone who's the same mix of ethnicities as me, I'm going to be with someone 'outside my race'. My mum won't mind whoever I marry, just so long as he's a good person, we love each other and make each other happy - she'll be delighted with that, and that's just how it should be. My dad, however, is insistent that I'll be excommunicated if I get with a black, Pakistani, Indian, Chinese etc guy, which is absolutely disgraceful. I'm generally attracted to white guys anyway, but oftentimes find black guys and black/white mixed-race guys and wouldn't let my dad's bigotry stand in the way if I fell in love with someone he disapproved of merely on the basis of the colour of their skin.

It makes me sick when people want lovers to be apart simply because of their race. You love who you love, it's as simple as that.
Reply 208
Original post by meenu89
I've married outside my race. Parents weren't happy at first, but once they got to know him they approved.

What race are you and what race is you partner?
Original post by abc101
I'm mixed-race myself, so unless I marry someone who's the same mix of ethnicities as me, I'm going to be with someone 'outside my race'. My mum won't mind whoever I marry, just so long as he's a good person, we love each other and make each other happy - she'll be delighted with that, and that's just how it should be. My dad, however, is insistent that I'll be excommunicated if I get with a black, Pakistani, Indian, Chinese etc guy, which is absolutely disgraceful. I'm generally attracted to white guys anyway, but oftentimes find black guys and black/white mixed-race guys and wouldn't let my dad's bigotry stand in the way if I fell in love with someone he disapproved of merely on the basis of the colour of their skin.

It makes me sick when people want lovers to be apart simply because of their race. You love who you love, it's as simple as that.

What race are you?

Just curious
Reply 209
my brother married a african american and my dad didnt go to his wedding
Original post by Anonymous
Neither of my parents want to me to date (or marry, rather) a black guy. They've explicitly told me this.

It's quite funny/strange considering the fact that I'm half black.......

Hold on, does your BLACK parent also not want you to marry a black guy? :confused:
I have three french-african cousins and another cousin lives in Japan and is likely to marry a local girl, the rest of my family are irish, french, finnish etc. etc.

So no, in fact I would rather date/marry someone of another race and culture.
Reply 212
Original post by Ebuwa
What race are you and what race is you partner?

What race are you?

Just curious

I am British from an Indian background and he is white British.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
I am a British from an Indian background and he is white British.

You are a Conservative, Monarchist, Euroskeptic British Asian?
Reply 214
Original post by Ciaran88
You are a Conservative, Monarchist, Euroskeptic British Asian?

Yes.
Original post by meenu89
Yes.

Brb slashing my wrists.
My father is a Roman Catholic Italian and my mother is a Turkish muslim, so neither of them have had any issues with the race/ religion of my ex-boyfriends. I've also studied in international schools all my life, so they pretty much expected that I would be meeting and dating people from different ethnic backgrounds. But my grandparents, especially my father's parents were very much horrified about their relationship.

I think it also helps if your parents aren't too religious and have travelled and lived outside of their home countries. I dont think my father would be OK with me dating a South Asian boy though, he has some misinformed prejuidices against them.
Reply 217
Original post by Pinkgrapefruit
My father is a Roman Catholic Italian and my mother is a Turkish muslim, so neither of them have had any issues with the race/ religion of my ex-boyfriends. I've also studied in international schools all my life, so they pretty much expected that I would be meeting and dating people from different ethnic backgrounds. But my grandparents, especially my father's parents were very much horrified about their relationship.

I think it also helps if your parents aren't too religious and have travelled and lived outside of their home countries. I dont think my father would be OK with me dating a South Asian boy though, he has some misinformed prejuidices against them.

I thought Muslim women aren't allowed to marry non-Muslims?
Original post by Ebuwa
I thought Muslim women aren't allowed to marry non-Muslims?

This is only a law in very extremist Islam countries like Saudi Arabia. Turkey is a secular country, and in general, women are more empowered compared to other Islamic countries. The marraige was actually much more unacceptable to my Roman Catholic grandparents than to my Muslim ones.
Original post by Tanya---

Original post by Tanya---
I had an asian boyfriend once (Muslim), my dad's racist, he hated it.. it ended. -_-
But personally, I don't see what the big fuss is about... as long as the cultural differences don't get in the way of the relationship, what is actually wrong with it? If two people are happy with one another, others shouldn't intrude with their opinions on how people should only be together if their from the same race. 21st century you prejudiced people.. wake up!

Did it end because of his race?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending