The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maths134
lol you guys all seem to gave been doing STEP for months, make me feel a tad nervous about interview =p

Don't worry about it, I'd say :smile: But maybe get started now - STEP I is apparently good interview practise. Go for it :biggrin: :yeah:
Reply 1761
Original post by Xero Xenith
People have told me that for the first six months, you wonder how on earth you got in, but after that, you wonder how most of the other people got in. Any truth in that, in your opinions? :smile:

I'm just a first year, so obviously can't comment about what happens after the initial couple of terms. I'd say it's more of a "how on earth are these people not at Cambridge/Oxford/Harvard etc?" than what you wrote, tbf. The majority seem so much quicker than me, but I was always confident I'd make my offer, so it's not a case of wondering how I got in, more "why are they here?", if you will.
Reply 1762
I need some advice. My referee is suggesting that a prediction of A*AA on UCAS would be a wise decision for me. I am applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath, Manchester and Birmingham and I am wondering - would I be at a disadvantage with A*AA instead of A*A*A?

The reason I ask is because, well my applied module scores weren't great with an average of 80 ums, bang on. Conversely, my pure modules average at 99 ums. Nevertheless, I feel the modules I am doing this year include mechanics (Last year was all stats :frown:) which I'm quite good at and I feel I can do well in them! And maybe potentially get an A* in Further Maths and Maths A level - I'm not sure though to be honest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1763
Original post by Zuzuzu
I'm just a first year, so obviously can't comment about what happens after the initial couple of terms. I'd say it's more of a "how on earth are these people not at Cambridge/Oxford/Harvard etc?" than what you wrote, tbf. The majority seem so much quicker than me, but I was always confident I'd make my offer, so it's not a case of wondering how I got in, more "why are they here?", if you will.

Considering you did reasonably well in one of the STEPs, and held a Cam offer, this is surprising when compared to UCL's maths offer. Maybe it is just first impressions?
In your personal statements, did you write 'mathematics' with a capital M or a lower case m, in which cases would it be capital?
Original post by anil10100
In your personal statements, did you write 'mathematics' with a capital M or a lower case m, in which cases would it be capital?

lower case I think. If you read some of the sample personal statements, the guy who reviews them talks about that.
I seem to remember him saying:
-lower case for the abstract academic pursuit.
-upper case if referring to a course.
Don't hold me to that though.
Original post by ben-smith
lower case I think. If you read some of the sample personal statements, the guy who reviews them talks about that.
I seem to remember him saying:
-lower case for the abstract academic pursuit.
-upper case if referring to a course.
Don't hold me to that though.

Cheers, that's what i've currently done

My English teacher (also my form tutor) insisted upper case... and I saw no harm in it, so I obliged.

As far as I know, it doesn't make a difference, as long as you're consistent.
Original post by Beth1234
My English teacher (also my form tutor) insisted upper case... and I saw no harm in it, so I obliged.

Thanks, that was your 1000th post :wink:

And when your citing a book, do you have to include the author?
Thanks, that was your 1000th post :wink:

And when your citing a book, do you have to include the author?

So I see :woo:

Yeah, you do. Something like 'Smith's "Caculus and Linear Algebra"' would do :smile:
Reply 1770
Original post by twig
Considering you did reasonably well in one of the STEPs, and held a Cam offer, this is surprising when compared to UCL's maths offer. Maybe it is just first impressions?

I'm hoping so anyway. Fortunately, one of the tutors mentioned there isn't any quotas for people getting certain degree classes, so 70 is an immediate first, even if everyone else gets 70.

Everyone I've met here applied to Oxbridge.

I'm debating asking for "Mathematics" to be changed to "mathematics" to make a sentence more dramatic.
Original post by Edwin Okli
I'm debating asking for "Mathematics" to be changed to "mathematics" to make a sentence more dramatic.

...is that even possible...? :confused:
Not gonna lie I just used 'mathematics' and then 'Mathematics' when mentioning the title of a masterclass ..,

I wasn't consistent, go me :biggrin: switched all the time between "maths", "mathematics" and "Mathematics".

But even Cambridge can't decide:
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/mathematics.html

I don't think it's all that important :smile:

...is that even possible...? :confused:

Is it possible to make a sentence more dramatic by the changing of one letter? Well, it means that I'd be on the quest for enlightenment in the area of knowledge rather than the subject area. (This is not something from my reference, just an example).
I wasn't consistent, go me :biggrin: switched all the time between "maths", "mathematics" and "Mathematics".

Yeah, I agree that there's very little importance to it. At one point I considered changing one of the "Mathematics" into "maths" just because I was one line over the line limit... :wink:

I'm with you on this one!! I didn't want to sound too repetitive.....
I asked this on the cambridge thread but I'll ask here as well:
Does anyone's school have loads of the old STEP papers? I'm looking for the 1987 specimen paper I and II, I already have the III paper. It would be awesome if you could scan it in:biggrin:
Original post by ben-smith
I asked this on the cambridge thread but I'll ask here as well:
Does anyone's school have loads of the old STEP papers? I'm looking for the 1987 specimen paper I and II, I already have the III paper. It would be awesome if you could scan it in:biggrin:

i didnt know you could get STEP papers from that old :O

Latest