The Student Room Group

Why am I getting a stitch sitting down doing nothing?!

Question is in the title really...I could be standing up going anything, or laying in bed, and I'll get a stitch in my stomach, but it will be REALLYYY painful to the point where i flinch to hold my stomach. Any ideas?!

EDIT: another thing that could be important to add: whenever I run up some stairs, I get so out of breath that I have to sit down to catch my breath again. I eat healthy, have a healthy bodyweight and do a lot of exercise - this has only recently started happening?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charlotteeee<3
Question is in the title really...I could be standing up going anything, or laying in bed, and I'll get a stitch in my stomach, but it will be REALLYYY painful to the point where i flinch to hold my stomach. Any ideas?!

Whilst I rack my brains, could you describe precisely where the pain is? What is in lay terms 'the stomach' is rarely anywhere near the stomach you see; but people generally refer to their abdomen as 'my stomach' so it's important to try and understand where specifically you are talking about.
Original post by Friar Chris
Whilst I rack my brains, could you describe precisely where the pain is? What is in lay terms 'the stomach' is rarely anywhere near the stomach you see; but people generally refer to their abdomen as 'my stomach' so it's important to try and understand where specifically you are talking about.

It is right at the bottom of my ribs in the middle - just above my belly button.
It is right at the bottom of my ribs in the middle - just above my belly button.

Hmm a few questions:

Have you had this sensation before? Is it cramp-like?

Does it come on it sharp bouts, longer sessions or is it always present?

Does pressing on the area make it worse/bring on a bout of pain?

When (and I'm sorry about this lol) did you last defecate and were your stools normal?
Epigastric pain, SOB, aggravated by lying down.. Busting out my basic GI knowledge here, possible hiatus hernia or ulcer?

Might be worth a trip to the GP to make sure you're alright.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Epigastric pain, SOB, aggravated by lying down.. Busting out my GI knowledge here, possible hiatus hernia or ulcer?

I wondered about such complications but wouldn't expect them to present with stitch-like pain? You'd know better than me though.
You'd know better than me though.

:dontknow: Only been a medic for a month, bro. I suppose the subsequent acid reflux could be described as stitch like, perhaps.
(edited 12 years ago)
:dontknow: Only been a medic for a month, bro.

Ah, I assumed from the Graduate Medics blog in your sig that you had graduated :tongue:.

Proceed, OP.
Ah, I assumed from the Graduate Medics blog in your sig that you had graduated :tongue:.

Naw, graduate entry.
Hmm a few questions:

Have you had this sensation before? Is it cramp-like?

Does it come on it sharp bouts, longer sessions or is it always present?

Does pressing on the area make it worse/bring on a bout of pain?

When (and I'm sorry about this lol) did you last defecate and were your stools normal?

Its been happening for about 4 weeks - but its not all of the time, only every so often.

It just comes on really quickly and goes after about 5 mins. Pressing it makes it worse.

And my stools are normal :smile:
Epigastric pain, SOB, aggravated by lying down.. Busting out my basic GI knowledge here, possible hiatus hernia or ulcer?

I'm a bit worried now, could it be that bad? And another thing as well, did you read my edit on the first post? Could that have something to do with it?
This sounds like a potential insult:
"Yo mumma so fat she gets a stitch sitting down!"
I'm a bit worried now, could it be that bad? And another thing as well, did you read my edit on the first post? Could that have something to do with it?

I think if it's something that has been bothering you for as long as you have described, it's worth dropping into your GP. There's no point in just going through pain for that long. I wouldn't be worried though. And yeah I read the edit.
Its been happening for about 4 weeks - but its not all of the time, only every so often.

It just comes on really quickly and goes after about 5 mins. Pressing it makes it worse.

And my stools are normal :smile:

Oo err, bit of a mystery. Do you ever have problems with reflux and/or heartburn? And is it brought on by lying down or does it occur equally when lying down or standing up or doing anything else?

Have you been taking ibuprofen, aspirin or any other medicines recently or frequently for other pain?

And just to check: you haven't been vomiting? And is it better/worse/the same after eating?

EDIT:

Charlotteeee<3
EDIT: another thing that could be important to add: whenever I run up some stairs, I get so out of breath that I have to sit down to catch my breath again. I eat healthy, have a healthy bodyweight and do a lot of exercise - this has only recently started happening?

Do forgive me; I'm doing the usual med student thing and trying to learn from your case, but naturally consult your GP instead of relying on TSR :smile:.

Woaaah, didn't think to mention that? Gehenna could be onto something with the hiatus hernia idea; but don't panic it's not a dangerous problem; consult the GP and make sure to tell him/her everything :P.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oo err, bit of a mystery. Do you ever have problems with reflux and/or heartburn? And is it brought on by lying down or does it occur equally when lying down or standing up or doing anything else?

Have you been taking ibuprofen, aspirin or any other medicines recently or frequently for other pain?

And just to check: you haven't been vomiting? And is it better/worse/the same after eating?

I've never had reflux problems or heartburn. It doesnt happen all the time, probably once or twice a day - no more than that. It happens when i'm sitting/laying down for a long time, and when I've been standing around for a while. I havent taken any painkillers for a long time, and havent been vomiting.

EDIT:

Woaaah, didn't think to mention that? Gehenna could be onto something with the hiatus hernia idea; but don't panic it's not a dangerous problem; consult the GP and make sure to tell him/her everything :P.

Looks like I've got an appointment to make and some research to do?!

EDIT:

I've never had reflux problems or heartburn. It doesnt happen all the time, probably once or twice a day - no more than that. It happens when i'm sitting/laying down for a long time, and when I've been standing around for a while. I havent taken any painkillers for a long time, and havent been vomiting.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hernia-hiatus/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Just looked at the symptoms - mine arent as drastic as these so I doubt it is a hernia?
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hernia-hiatus/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

Just looked at the symptoms - mine arent as drastic as these so I doubt it is a hernia?

Hiatus herniae can cause no symptoms, severe symptoms and everything in between; but one would expect some sort of reflux or heartburn with it.

It could be any of a number of things when adding in the shortness of breath; best to get to the doctor in the next day or two and get it sorted.
Hiatus herniae can cause no symptoms, severe symptoms and everything in between; but one would expect some sort of reflux or heartburn with it.

It could be any of a number of things when adding in the shortness of breath; best to get to the doctor in the next day or two and get it sorted.

Thankyou for all your help :smile: x
Thankyou for all your help :smile: x

Np. We'll hope it's only something minor, so you can come tell us what it was and we can all go 'dohh, of course' :biggrin:.

Latest