The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lookout
So you agree there were problems and the uni is making an effort to fix them then that's good.Glasgow was more pbl than other Scottish unis but now that it's reduced the option is there for me if I want. Good on you for being positive about the city,but I stand by what I said in my previous post. If someone is choosing to live somewhere for five years then it's important to know as much as possible about the place beforehand.You've gone with the positives I perhaps have shown the negatives. If I get an interview I will try and secure an offer if the course is less pbl then maybe I "can " convince the interviewers! If it were my only interview I'd have to!

the problem was not pbl as a teaching method or lack of knowledge but one of workload that students felt too much. Responding to issues raised by students is something that hopefully all med schools would adhere to. Evolution of courses is inevitable and governed by GMC guidelines and I'm happy that Glasgow has responded in such a positive way to the concerns of students and changed things for those studying there now. :smile:

As said, I wish you the best of luck with your applications.
Reply 4141
Original post by sweetchilli
the problem was not pbl as a teaching method or lack of knowledge but one of workload that students felt too much. Responding to issues raised by students is something that hopefully all med schools would adhere to. Evolution of courses is inevitable and governed by GMC guidelines and I'm happy that Glasgow has responded in such a positive way to the concerns of students and changed things for those studying there now. :smile:

As said, I wish you the best of luck with your applications.

Fine!
We don't argue on this thread.

So haters stop hating.

...or piss off
I'm steering towards Bart's rather than Nottingham for my 4th.... I really do love London. And even though I'm not the biggest PBL fan Bart's really is looking good.

What are you all putting down as your 5th choice? I got Psychology last year but after seeing so much Psychology in clearing it kind of put me off.
Original post by laurenl93

So haters stop hating.

...or piss off

I was trying not to argue but rather debate with Lookout but it seems my opinion is not to be considered. I was merely trying to help someone decide whether Glasgow suited them or not by giving my honest opinion of my native city. If people would rather I did not try and help then let me know. :s-smilie:
Reply 4145
Original post by JessicaStacks
I'm steering towards Bart's rather than Nottingham for my 4th.... I really do love London. And even though I'm not the biggest PBL fan Bart's really is looking good.

What are you all putting down as your 5th choice? I got Psychology last year but after seeing so much Psychology in clearing it kind of put me off.

I went to London and visited Barts, and actually it isn't in the centre - it took us 15 minutes on the tube to get from the centre to Barts. The campus was nice enough, but I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed because the area wasn't as nice as in the centre of London :frown:

Also, fifth choice - I'm trying to decide this now. I think I really just need to decide on a course which I will actually want to do - otherwise I'm worried I wouldn't work hard enough. Biomed is a possibility, but if I can't transfer to medicine, I don't think I'd want to be a biomedical scientist. So at the moment, theres a possibility of cellular and molecular medicine at bristol (that sounds soo good!) or biochemistry, or cellular and molecular biology - or maybe joint honours in both.
Reply 4146
Original post by twelve
I went to London and visited Barts, and actually it isn't in the centre - it took us 15 minutes on the tube to get from the centre to Barts. The campus was nice enough, but I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed because the area wasn't as nice as in the centre of London :frown:

Also, fifth choice - I'm trying to decide this now. I think I really just need to decide on a course which I will actually want to do - otherwise I'm worried I wouldn't work hard enough. Biomed is a possibility, but if I can't transfer to medicine, I don't think I'd want to be a biomedical scientist. So at the moment, theres a possibility of cellular and molecular medicine at bristol (that sounds soo good!) or biochemistry, or cellular and molecular biology - or maybe joint honours in both.

I couldn't pick biomed because I couldn't see what I'd do with it and know that if I ended up working with doctors I'd just resent the fact that they made it and I didn't.
Reply 4147
Yass, did the ukcat yesterday, 692.5 average :smile: Very pleased! Beats last years 580 :tongue: I've still got no idea about 5th choice though, what is everyone else putting?
Original post by Harryh811
My friend is starting his first year at Sheffield with 672.5 UKCAT :P

was your friend on an Access Programme or an international student?
Reply 4149
5A*s, 5As at GCSE
AAAa at A Level
645 average UKCAT (2580 in total)
Started first year of biomedicine

One week work experience in each of a hospital, GP, special education needs school..and voluntary work this summer and last summer at special needs activity project.

Looking to apply to Leicester, Southampton, Peninsula and BSMS..any advice/comments pleaseeeee? I need to send my application A.S.A.P. (All the schools I'm applying to consider people who are in first year of another degree)

Thanks!
Original post by sweetchilli
I was trying not to argue but rather debate with Lookout but it seems my opinion is not to be considered. I was merely trying to help someone decide whether Glasgow suited them or not by giving my honest opinion of my native city. If people would rather I did not try and help then let me know. :s-smilie:

Hah that wasn't aimed at you I could tell you were trying to help I remember you from one of the applicant threads last year :smile:

My best friend's a first year medic at glasgow too and she loves it :smile: You might know her actually :h:

PBL is actually really good, reckon I've learnt more from my first PBL than in the lectures combined tbh :yep:

And they ease you into it :wink:

Original post by twelve

I'm going to be pedantic here..

1) define centre :tongue:

2) You're probably talking about the buildings in Whitechapel, in which case that's the Royal London area with the Blizard building etc and yeah, it's east london but you don't really spend much time looking at those buildings, you walk past them to get to lectures in the pretty buildings :awesome:

3) I'm living in halls in central london (Dawson hall, Charterhouse square, barbican)

4) St Barts is just south of me and just north of St Pauls.. so it's pretty central!

5) Mile End is a nightmare to go to... can't really say anything good about quim-land :no:

/intrusion :awesome:
Reply 4152
Original post by laurenl93

So haters stop hating.

...or piss off[/

I thought it was more of a debate than an argument:rolleyes: anyway sweetchilli has cleared something up about the course for me:smile:
Reply 4153
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
PBL is actually really good, reckon I've learnt more from my first PBL than in the lectures combined tbh :yep:

And they ease you into it :wink:

I'm going to be pedantic here..

1) define centre :tongue:

2) You're probably talking about the buildings in Whitechapel, in which case that's the Royal London area with the Blizard building etc and yeah, it's east london but you don't really spend much time looking at those buildings, you walk past them to get to lectures in the pretty buildings :awesome:

3) I'm living in halls in central london (Dawson hall, Charterhouse square, barbican)

4) St Barts is just south of me and just north of St Pauls.. so it's pretty central!

5) Mile End is a nightmare to go to... can't really say anything good about quim-land :no:

/intrusion :awesome:

Mile End was where I went. I just got off the tube, and was like, ohh, well this is completely different. There seemed to be buildings that were half-built and some that were run-down. I'll be honest, my first impressions of it weren't brilliant. Just not my kind of place - reminded me too much of my hometown :P

Psychology though is the most popular degree in the UK.
It's bound to be in clearing more because most places offer it and therefore there's ample spaces.

I'm applying for med genetics at sheffield (The 4 year course).
Original post by twelve
Mile End was where I went. I just got off the tube, and was like, ohh, well this is completely different. There seemed to be buildings that were half-built and some that were run-down. I'll be honest, my first impressions of it weren't brilliant. Just not my kind of place - reminded me too much of my hometown :P

Don't know why they were showing you around Mile End... I've only been there twice so far...
Only have anatomy down there on Monday afternoons fortnightly, so gladly don't have to make the trek there often..

Ah well, no need to convince you of anything.. iirc you've already taken the plunge and sent your application off?
Original post by kim93
I see. Not quite sure they will count as all the A2's need to be taken within a year. Good luck!

haha unis said they will count because it's extra academic work...but thank you for your wisdom
Reply 4157
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Don't know why they were showing you around Mile End... I've only been there twice so far...
Only have anatomy down there on Monday afternoons fortnightly, so gladly don't have to make the trek there often..

Ah well, no need to convince you of anything.. iirc you've already taken the plunge and sent your application off?

Ohh, you're kidding? Well I just went on the website, and they said quite a lot about stuff at Mile End, so I just went and wandered over there while I was in London...

Yeahh I have sent it off :smile: Trying not to think about it for a bit now - I know I won't hear anything at all for a while :/
Reply 4158
Hey, if I want someone to take a look at my personal statement, do I create a thread in the "Medical, Health and Life/Biosciences Personal Statement Help" thread? I just want to be sure I'm doing it in the right place :smile:
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
was your friend on an Access Programme or an international student?

Nope, normal student from the UK. Predicted 4 A's, 6A* at GCSE and 672 UKCaT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending