The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irrational
Particularly like Royal Holloway. Just the Founder's Building :colondollar:

I would have applied to Royal Holloway, but its 15 minutes away and that's waaaay too close :tongue:
Is anyone else not leaving a line between paragraphs on there personal statement?
Has annnyone else not left a line between paragraphs in their personal statement?

Thanks
Reply 3663
Original post by Mousebudden
Is anyone else not leaving a line between paragraphs on there personal statement?

Yes, I did.
Original post by zxh800
Yes, I did.

You did leave a line?
Reply 3665
You did leave a line?

I did indeed.
Reply 3666

Yeah leaving a line takes up WAY too many lines. Just pressing enter seems to do it fine. Remember it's better to have 4000 good characters than 3700 that just look nice :wink:
If you cant structure a personal statement properly youre gonna look like a retard.
I left a line between paragraphs on my statement for 2010 entry and have done again this time around, just to be safe. It meant shaving off some words but still.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
The offer thread has been stickied :afraid: It's all too real now, wonder who will be the first to have an offer in there (lets take bets, I pick Groat)

Are you going to move all offers into the OP or just let them take up pages of space?

How come you didn't put it into an article like the Oxbridge/Medicine stalking pages?

Great idea though! :hat:
Original post by Trizzle
Yeah leaving a line takes up WAY too many lines. Just pressing enter seems to do it fine. Remember it's better to have 4000 good characters than 3700 that just look nice :wink:

Sure about that?
Reply 3670
Original post by economyst
Tat, it might be an idea to add on the offer thread the date of the offer.
People don't post it on the exact date they get it and it will be helpful for other 2012 applicants and other future applicants to see what date the offer was given on.

Will do

Original post by 94george94
Are you going to move all offers into the OP or just let them take up pages of space?

How come you didn't put it into an article like the Oxbridge/Medicine stalking pages?

Great idea though! :hat:

Was just going to leave it as a thread :smile:

Feel free to set up an article if you want but I don't think it's necessary!
Reply 3671
Original post by internetstephen
Sure about that?

Yeah I mean if you have 4/5 empty lines, you probably won't get too close to 4000 characters since you reach 47 lines so quickly.
Reply 3672
Original post by Trizzle

I don't agree with this really. The first impression the admissions tutor is going to get from you is the way you structure your personal statement. If you take any essay you have written and get rid of all the paragraph breaks, then start reading it you will find it's much more off-putting and difficult to read than when it had line breaks.
Reply 3673
I'm predicted ABB n i want to do economics - I do maths for A level but I dont do economics

What unis can I apply to?

I want to do economics with law
Original post by Tateco
I don't agree with this really. The first impression the admissions tutor is going to get from you is the way you structure your personal statement. If you take any essay you have written and get rid of all the paragraph breaks, then start reading it you will find it's much more off-putting and difficult to read than when it had line breaks.

But if most/all of your sentences finish half/quarter/three quarters... of the way through, then there is no need for a line break as it is obvious where the new paragraph begins.
Reply 3675
Original post by Tateco

:curious: Well yeah but it's not JUST how it looks, I think the couple of hundred of characters missed can be very useful. Obviously if you're struggling for decent things to write then sure lay it out nice, but it everybody did line breaks then there would be no point in the 4000 character limit since no one would ever reach it.
Original post by Trizzle
:curious: Well yeah but it's not JUST how it looks, I think the couple of hundred of characters missed can be very useful. Obviously if you're struggling for decent things to write then sure lay it out nice, but it everybody did line breaks then there would be no point in the 4000 character limit since no one would ever reach it.

No you lay it out as you would any other piece of writing, spaces between paragraphs and indents are standard practice; you cant indent though (iirc).
Mine is ~3,800 characters and exactly 47 lines with 5 paragraphs, each with a blank line break between. Youre supposed to make it as compact as possible.

im sure 200 characters really isnt going to make much of a difference, its not enough to fully develop a point. In fact, this paragraph is 200 characters, could you fit anything useful in here?
I found that 100 characters roughly equates a sentence...so I don't really see the point in two extra sentences when you lose out on perhaps the only presentational advantage you can really get.
Regarding leaving a full blank line between paragraphs, as a PS Helper we tend to encourage that you do so as it does make it easier to read. On the other hand, I didn't in my PS and that didn't seem to sufficiently put off any of the admissions personnel so take from that what you will. :dontknow:
Reply 3679
Original post by alex_hk90
Regarding leaving a full blank line between paragraphs, as a PS Helper we tend to encourage that you do so as it does make it easier to read. On the other hand, I didn't in my PS and that didn't seem to sufficiently put off any of the admissions personnel so take from that what you will. :dontknow:

I think it probably matters less than what everyone seems to think, but as our personal statement is one of the only things we can worry about at the moment it's a perfect opportunity to panic :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending