The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

I sent my application off on Friday! I've applied to Manchester, BSMS, Nottingham and St Andrews (clinical years at Manchester). Also put Biomed in at Liverpool for if it all goes horribly wrong again! I really want to get in (like everyone else here :P ) so if it doesn't happen this year, it'll be graduate entry :smile:

Seeing it all in track again brings back vile memories of four 'Unsuccessful' decisions...
Reply 4161
Original post by superG123
haha unis said they will count because it's extra academic work...but thank you for your wisdom

learn something new everyday :colondollar:
Original post by Harryh811
Nope, normal student from the UK. Predicted 4 A's, 6A* at GCSE and 672 UKCaT!

wow that's great for your friend. but pretty unusual lol.
Original post by twelve
Ohh, you're kidding? Well I just went on the website, and they said quite a lot about stuff at Mile End, so I just went and wandered over there while I was in London...

Yeahh I have sent it off :smile: Trying not to think about it for a bit now - I know I won't hear anything at all for a while :/

They say quite a bit about Mile End probably because it's a relatively pretty campus and if you just saw Whitechapel it'd put people off..

If you're ever back in london then pop down to Whitechapel and we'll have a pint :h:

Not for a few months probably... unless you went for Birmingham who are already giving out interviews..
Original post by KCosmo
Hey, if I want someone to take a look at my personal statement, do I create a thread in the "Medical, Health and Life/Biosciences Personal Statement Help" thread? I just want to be sure I'm doing it in the right place :smile:

Yep, create a thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240 if you haven't already done so :smile:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

They say quite a bit about Mile End probably because it's a relatively pretty campus and if you just saw Whitechapel it'd put people off..

If you're ever back in london then pop down to Whitechapel and we'll have a pint :h:

Not for a few months probably... unless you went for Birmingham who are already giving out interviews..

Yep, create a thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=240 if you haven't already done so :smile:

Just messaged you dude. Might as well reply on here :smile:
Original post by DrWannabe
Just messaged you dude. Might as well reply on here :smile:

Will do then if you want :h:

My lovely penguin. How are you? Where does all the originals congregate these days? Is there a Durham applicants thread i can't find it. Also are you doing the WIKI page this year? Much love x

I'm very well thanks! Aside from the freshers flu at least :sick:
Yourself? :h:
Ah the originals... not really seen many of them tbh.. there's myself, a moist feeling, Beska and that could well be it..

We're all pretty inactive when it comes to posting but you'll see me and Beska all over the place, but mainly chatting in the TSR medical students thread now that we can..

Yeah there's a Durham thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1630533 though it's a bit quiet atm..
You'll have to liven things up :wink:

How's things btw? I can't remember what happened with your application and whether you're reapplying this year or if you got in :colondollar:

I'm taking a much less active role this year, at least for the start of the year whilst I get settled in to a work routine and get more efficient at PBLs and stuff. However I'll still be looking after it a bit when help is needed and already had to deal with two vandals (well same person, two accounts... for now... :colone:)

You wanting to help out? :colone:

Good to hear from you again :yep:

Will do then if you want :h:

I'm very well thanks! Aside from the freshers flu at least :sick:
Yourself? :h:
Ah the originals... not really seen many of them tbh.. there's myself, a moist feeling, Beska and that could well be it..

We're all pretty inactive when it comes to posting but you'll see me and Beska all over the place, but mainly chatting in the TSR medical students thread now that we can..

Yeah there's a Durham thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1630533 though it's a bit quiet atm..
You'll have to liven things up :wink:

How's things btw? I can't remember what happened with your application and whether you're reapplying this year or if you got in :colondollar:

I'm taking a much less active role this year, at least for the start of the year whilst I get settled in to a work routine and get more efficient at PBLs and stuff. However I'll still be looking after it a bit when help is needed and already had to deal with two vandals (well same person, two accounts... for now... :colone:)

You wanting to help out? :colone:

Good to hear from you again :yep:

Freshers flu is quite the norm i hope you get well soon :smile:

Where's my Delilah? :frown: As he divorced me?

Thanks for the link. I t was quiet all last year too. I indeed got in. I'm at Durham. See the connection now? :wink: :tongue:

I don't want to help until at least Xmas so i know what i'm doing and the pace i'm studyiing at. But yeah sure i'll help out if i can :smile: Get them blocked, you know people in high places, we at least on here :smile:

Did anything ever come of the third book from Dr Pemberton and the photoshoot Beska and co went on?

Nice to hear from you too :smile:
Original post by DrWannabe
Freshers flu is quite the norm i hope you get well soon :smile:

Where's my Delilah? :frown: As he divorced me?

Thanks for the link. I t was quiet all last year too. I indeed got in. I'm at Durham. See the connection now? :wink: :tongue:

I don't want to help until at least Xmas so i know what i'm doing and the pace i'm studyiing at. But yeah sure i'll help out if i can :smile: Get them blocked, you know people in high places, we at least on here :smile:

Did anything ever come of the third book from Dr Pemberton and the photoshoot Beska and co went on?

Nice to hear from you too :smile:

I hope so too, have the gf visiting tomorrow and don't want to be all ill around her :sigh:
Phlegm I can cope with, but I have a specific sore throat that makes it painful to swallow :emo:
But I shan't moan or whine :ninja:

I haven't seen Demi on TSR for a while :no:
Not sure if he's stopped using it or if he's just posting elsewhere but he seems to spend a lot of time on facebook if you want to catch him :h:

Ahhh I see! I'd forgotten that, we should be chatting on the medical students thread :yep:
How you finding it so far?

I can't really go into much detail on these things but I also have the power to permanently ban them, I just have to follow protocol so for now the main account is under scrutiny :colone:

Yeah! Beska is on the front cover and some of us got a free signed copy of the book from Max, so that worked out well. Did you volunteer?
Hi guys, still have ALOT of catching up to do since I have barely been on TSR at the moment LOL
Funniest thing happened, I'd spent weeks improving on drafts for my personal statement based on my referee's advice, then after getting some doctors at work to read it and posting it on PS helper, they basically ripped it to shreds so I'm frantically trying to finish it now.
It's tough because I'm having to change the main focus of most of my paragraphs so I pretty much just started again.. But I'm glad, in a way, that I know now..

Anyways I should be more involved in this thread after Oct 15th!! Fingers crossed for everyone and good luck. Hopefully this will be our year!
Reply 4169
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Hi guys, still have ALOT of catching up to do since I have barely been on TSR at the moment LOL
Funniest thing happened, I'd spent weeks improving on drafts for my personal statement based on my referee's advice, then after getting some doctors at work to read it and posting it on PS helper, they basically ripped it to shreds so I'm frantically trying to finish it now.
It's tough because I'm having to change the main focus of most of my paragraphs so I pretty much just started again.. But I'm glad, in a way, that I know now..

Anyways I should be more involved in this thread after Oct 15th!! Fingers crossed for everyone and good luck. Hopefully this will be our year!

Welcome back and Good Luck!!! :biggrin:
Reply 4170

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4171
It's amazing how much one learns about applying to medicine when you are forced to reapply! If I compare myself now to 1 year ago, I feel like I am the master of applying... (?)
732.5 average in the UKCAT, yay yay yay! :biggrin: Application form handed in, FINALLY got some work experience lined up, really looking forward to this year. Got a really good feeling :wink:
Hey guy's, I'm not really sure what to say in my PS about my gap year. I'll be doing voluntary work at a hospital That's all I know for definite but other things are no for definite. Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 4174
Original post by dunnicare
Hey guy's, I'm not really sure what to say in my PS about my gap year. I'll be doing voluntary work at a hospital That's all I know for definite but other things are no for definite. Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks. :smile:

The important thing is to show that you are going to do something productive with your time, but in terms of experience, there isn't a lot you can say - stuff you've already done has much more value than stuff you are going to do. Besides, I know once I'd talked about all the stuff I've already done, there wasn't really much space to write about my gap year. So just mention your voluntary work, and I think if you aren't sure what else, best not to put anything - rather than say something vague.
Original post by twelve
The important thing is to show that you are going to do something productive with your time, but in terms of experience, there isn't a lot you can say - stuff you've already done has much more value than stuff you are going to do. Besides, I know once I'd talked about all the stuff I've already done, there wasn't really much space to write about my gap year. So just mention your voluntary work, and I think if you aren't sure what else, best not to put anything - rather than say something vague.

Yeah, this confirms what I originally thought. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 4176
Hi everyone!

I'm an old-time graduate looking to apply this year, thinking of Leeds, wondering if anyone has any ideas what academic score they might give a 2:1 in biomedical science in their selection process?? A levels BBC..... :s-smilie:. I'll be one of those pushing for the good P.S.!

Thanks
Original post by Seb
It's amazing how much one learns about applying to medicine when you are forced to reapply! If I compare myself now to 1 year ago, I feel like I am the master of applying... (?)

I know what you mean. I feel a lot more confident going in this year. I am not doubting the fact that I didn't get in last year, because I still feel like I deserved a place (and I've been told by several people that it was outrageous that I didn't get in) BUT I feel like I've taken it in a positive way and learnt from it. The fact that we are reapplying shows that we are committed to medicine, and that it is really what we want to do. I do hope that it goes well for us all. Being delayed a year sucks, but in the long run we will be looking back and saying actually, that year was good for me. And who knows, we might get into better places this year than the ones we applied to last year. :smile:
Original post by twelve

Yeah mine is short compared to my long rant about past experiences. But I've mentioned which hospital I will be working in the UK. I'm also going to work in a slum in Brazil to help children with reading (I am half Brazilian and my family lives there) but I didn't want them to think I was a rich kid being shipped off to Brazil for her gap year, so I simply said I was going to volunteer in a deprived area and help children with reading. Just say what you are going to do, and what you hope to learn from it. But don't stretch it out too much it's not as important as other things on your PS.
Ucas all sent off.Just the waiting now
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending