The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hallo!

Yesterday marked the launch of this year's 24-7 Prayer Eurogathering "Aufstehen" in Frankfurt, which runs through the weekend.

24-7 Prayer Blog
A few hundred folks representing many, many nations from around Europe (and even a handful from as far and wide as Australia and the USA) descended upon Frankfurt, Germany today to launch the 24-7 Eurogathering. The evening began with a moment of prayerful silence, where we were invited to place a piece of tape over our mouths to signify our desire to hear God’s voice above all others. A time of worship, welcoming and a few inspiring stories from around the 24-7 movement followed.

Ian Nicholson blessed us with an opening address, speaking out of the story of the man healed of paralysis in John 5.

“Take up your bed, rise up and walk,” Jesus said simply to the man. And in an instant, he was healed of an infirmity he had carried for 38 years.

From this story, Ian drew a picture of the continent of Europe paralyzed and losing hope. Social, political and economic issues abound. The Christian church is dwindling and the secularization of Europe is growing. But Ian also turned our gaze to the signs of life and hope for Europe.

“Every one of us here has an excuse to stay seated,” Ian said. “But Jesus would still say to each, ‘Stand up.’”

The evening closed with a challenge to physically stand up as a response to Jesus’ charge to the man at Bethesda those few thousand years ago.

If you’d like to hear the address for yourself (It's in both English and German): http://downloads.24-7prayer.com/mp3/shop/Talks/aufstehen2011/power_to_stand_ian_nicholson.mp3

The speaker is part of my church :cool:
(I can't imagine how it would feel to speak to that many people, from so many different nations!)
Original post by skotch
Hey guys, just to say I probably won't be coming on TSR much over the course of the term as there's going to be loads on and I'll probably just forget considering this is pretty much the only thing I now go on TSR for.

Would love it if you guys could pray that I don't slip back into my old ways and that I won't conform to the student stereotype despite the overpowering pressure from others. I'm hoping things will be better when term starts next and I start going out less.

Also, I appear to have picked up a bug (probably [re]freshers flu!) and really want to get better soon!

I saw Tom P as I was on a bar crawl that went through his hall and so I spoke to him. Was a little awkward as I'm not totally sure he remembered me :/ ah well, I asked him if he was going to go to CU/church and he said he was, so I'm sure I'll get to know him better.

Shall be praying, fb/text me if you need extra prayer requests and I can always post here!

I'm sure he did remember you, I'm pretty sure me and Beckham have mentioned to him that it's weird you're both at same uni!

Hope you don't find second year too stressful both work wise and trying not to conform wise!
Prayer said for you, skotch :smile:
Original post by skotch
Hey guys, just to say I probably won't be coming on TSR much over the course of the term as there's going to be loads on and I'll probably just forget considering this is pretty much the only thing I now go on TSR for.

Would love it if you guys could pray that I don't slip back into my old ways and that I won't conform to the student stereotype despite the overpowering pressure from others. I'm hoping things will be better when term starts next and I start going out less.

Also, I appear to have picked up a bug (probably [re]freshers flu!) and really want to get better soon!

I saw Tom P as I was on a bar crawl that went through his hall and so I spoke to him. Was a little awkward as I'm not totally sure he remembered me :/ ah well, I asked him if he was going to go to CU/church and he said he was, so I'm sure I'll get to know him better.

But TSR is such an awesome procrastination tool? I'm equally addicted to TSR and fb. Terrible.

Will be praying for you, and will see you saturday? I'm going out tonight :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Tzarchasm
I'll probably apply to the foundation courses. Achieved AAB (with a few raw marks to the next grade in biology and chemistry) so I could resit to get an A in chemistry and apply to the universities that accept resits. I'll probably give it more thought in the next couple of days.

Yea, its not an easy thing - mull and pray over it in some depth, it is an important thing. If you ever need any help or want to discuss those, feel free to PM me or whatver :smile:
I don't like TSR. I don't like Facebook. I use both of them for essentially one thing each now.
Original post by rainbowbex
But TSR is such an awesome procrastination tool? I'm equally addicted to TSR and fb. Terrible.

:five: :awesome: :ninja:
Original post by + polarity -
I don't like TSR. I don't like Facebook. I use both of them for essentially one thing each now.
:frown:

Why don't you like TSR?

Original post by RK
:frown:

Why don't you like TSR?

The majority of posters I come across are quite irritating (but not you of course :biggrin:) As is the cycle of thread topics :tongue:

Every time I come back after a ban, I think to myself, "What the **** am I doing here? :sigh:" But sometimes it is useful. :redface:

The majority of posters I come across are quite irritating (but not you of course :biggrin:) As is the cycle of thread topics :tongue:

Every time I come back after a ban, I think to myself, "What the **** am I doing here? :sigh:" But sometimes it is useful. :redface:

I know that feel bro :sadnod: Common AAIDS example. You should still pop in though :smile:

The solution to that is not to get banned in the first place...then you'd avoid the situation where you think that and instead get on enjoying the site all the time (as an admin, I have to say such things when people mention being banned from the site :p:)
Original post by RK
The solution to that is not to get banned in the first place...then you'd avoid the situation where you think that and instead get on enjoying the site all the time (as an admin, I have to say such things when people mention being banned from the site :p:)

Doesn't polarity ask to be banned though? surely that's a bit different? I mean I've been banned from asking myself to be banned - though someone did then give me a lecture on how if I couldn't resist coming online unless I was banned then surely I'd just make another account etc etc. tbh I didn't want to tell them the thought had never occured to me :P (also, it's a lot more effort)
Original post by Facticity
I know that feel bro :sadnod: Common AAIDS example. You should still pop in though :smile:

What's AAIDS?! :afraid:

Original post by RK

I like my bans (requested or otherwise) though. They give me time to reflect :bubbles:

Doesn't polarity ask to be banned though? surely that's a bit different? I mean I've been banned from asking myself to be banned - though someone did then give me a lecture on how if I couldn't resist coming online unless I was banned then surely I'd just make another account etc etc. tbh I didn't want to tell them the thought had never occured to me :P (also, it's a lot more effort)

I have a couple of times, I don't think I've been on TSR much this year :headfire:

Hmm, how many times have I been banned? I've lost count. :mute:

What's AAIDS?! :afraid:

Internet synonym for what happens in open forum chat websites like TSR. Stands for Anonymous Audience Internet Douche Syndrome :giggle:

Internet synonym for what happens in open forum chat websites like TSR. Stands for Anonymous Audience Internet Douche Syndrome :giggle:

Ooooh, I know it as the Internet Dickwad Theory, but AAIDS sounds much better!

Ooooh, I know it as the Internet Dickwad Theory, but AAIDS sounds much better!

Yea that one sounds too harsh. I thought I'd make and coin this one :tongue:
Just back from my first theology tutorial, I hated it. So much pride and arrogance in the air in the name of "objectivity". Ugh.

One guy seemed to be owning the whole show, clearly read too much Hitchens.
Original post by JB Johnstone
Just back from my first theology tutorial, I hated it. So much pride and arrogance in the air in the name of "objectivity". Ugh.

One guy seemed to be owning the whole show, clearly read too much Hitchens.

If you're studying Theology then read Ratzinger; he's probably the greatest theologian of his generation. You may not agree with his theology but it's still quite amazing.
Just saw my mum's status from a year ago about my Granddads death :'(

Feeling really teary and a bit crap.
Just saw my mum's status from a year ago about my Granddads death :'(

Feeling really teary and a bit crap.

Praying. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending