The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ben-smith
I asked this on the cambridge thread but I'll ask here as well:
Does anyone's school have loads of the old STEP papers? I'm looking for the 1987 specimen paper I and II, I already have the III paper. It would be awesome if you could scan it in:biggrin:

I haven't got those... but these are fun (probably midway between STEP and A-level):
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Beth1234
I haven't got those... but these are fun (probably midway between STEP and A-level):

cool, what are they?
cool, what are they?

Standard A-level papers from Summer of 1960, I think... :redface:
Completed my first STEP question today in just under 45 minutes. The feeling of achievement... lol
Original post by maths134
Completed my first STEP question today in just under 45 minutes. The feeling of achievement... lol

Well done :tongue: Which one was it?
Original post by maths134

I know the feeling. When I did mine a few days ago I was like... :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone:
Original post by safmaster
Well done :tongue: Which one was it?

I have done two now =D. STEP 1, june 2010 (1 and 2). I'm sure they are really easy lol but it is still gratifying. TBH question one was just playing around with a lot of algebra.
What actually is STEP??? What kind of questions are they? Is it like logic stuff....?
Original post by BeccaCath94

Original post by BeccaCath94
What actually is STEP??? What kind of questions are they? Is it like logic stuff....?

Have a look and you'll see. It tries to test your mathematical reasoning rather than your ability to prepare for an exam. Although.. I'm sure you can prepare for STEP in much the same way. But the questions aren't the same every year as they mainly are in A-Level Maths.
Original post by Edwin Okli
Have a look and you'll see. It tries to test your mathematical reasoning rather than your ability to prepare for an exam. Although.. I'm sure you can prepare for STEP in much the same way. But the questions aren't the same every year as they mainly are in A-Level Maths.

It sounds scary!!! hahahaa im not doing it sooo....i was just wondering :smile:
I asked this on the cambridge thread but I'll ask here as well:
Does anyone's school have loads of the old STEP papers? I'm looking for the 1987 specimen paper I and II, I already have the III paper. It would be awesome if you could scan it in:biggrin:

From 1987 to 2010:

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm

I am aware of this site already, the 1987 specimen paper is not there (as far as I can see).

Brilliant link!
I am aware of this site already, the 1987 specimen paper is not there (as far as I can see).

No it doesn't, but it has a lot of old papers like requested :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=557308

Scroll down until you find the attachments, I think that's 1987 specimen I?

Also you really scare me with how you have done the majority of solutions for STEP on TSR along with DFranklin! How were you able to do them at such an early stage in your maths?
Original post by hassi94
No it doesn't, but it has a lot of old papers like requested :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=557308

Scroll down until you find the attachments, I think that's 1987 specimen I?

Also you really scare me with how you have done the majority of solutions for STEP on TSR along with DFranklin! How were you able to do them at such an early stage in your maths?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I asked about loads of old papers incase, included in them, was the specimen paper which I can't find anywhere.
The paper you have linked to is the STEP III paper that I already have. You see, I've started a solutions thread for these papers but can only find the III paper. See here.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I asked about loads of old papers incase, included in them, was the specimen paper which I can't find anywhere.
The paper you have linked to is the STEP III paper that I already have. You see, I've started a solutions thread for these papers but can only find the III paper. See here.

Right I thought it was I (from what it said on the sheet), must be mistaken :tongue: (EDIT: I read Mathematical Formulae (STEP) 1 and mixed them up :tongue:)

But still how can you do STEP III so well if you haven't finished further maths? (or have you?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hassi94

Original post by hassi94
Right I thought it was I (from what it said on the sheet), must be mistaken :tongue: (EDIT: I read Mathematical Formulae (STEP) 1 and mixed them up :tongue:)

But still how can you do STEP III so well if you haven't finished further maths? (or have you?)

This is a bit off topic, but I've just had a look in your (updated) sig, does LSE really start on 1st September? :eek:
Reply 1797
Well, after a last minute decision to apply to Cambridge, I just did my first STEP paper, a STEP III (2000) paper in timed conditions. Perhaps, the most demanding 3 hrs of my life so far:L Only managed 1 complete solution, I attempted 5 other pure questions but couldn't get far in them:frown:. Though, that nice feeling I got when I did that one question made it worth it lol.

To those applying to Cambridge, wot are your module scores like? Also, do you think they will not be happy because I only did 5 units?
Original post by jameswhughes
This is a bit off topic, but I've just had a look in your (updated) sig, does LSE really start on 1st September? :eek:

Naa actually next year it starts on the 4th October, it's just a placeholder random date out of laziness, I think. Most of the dates for unis on UCAS are wrong apparently :smile:

EDIT: Also more off-topic; the girl in your sig is very airbrushed but still soo hawwwwt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Not gonna lie, STEP is really quite fun... why has no one told me this before lol.

Latest