The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3700
Original post by 94george94
My problem (and most likely an Admissions Tutor's as well) isn't the fact that you haven't put line breaks, it is that you're in a type of limbo between line breaks and one big body of text. Either you should take out the line breaks, or put more in.

Hey, if you take them out at least you have more room for your precious enthusiasm.

I'd have 2 characters more...

I think if I have the opportunity to highlight my post important paragraphs then I should... but well done for not addressing anything I said
Original post by fredbol
...OK

'You'll find out the hard way when you carry on that kind of inconsistent form with a CV', you're implying I would do that with a CV, where there are no line constraints, which is a ridiculous assumption.

You seem to have trouble understanding me

Yes, I said you'd carry on that kind of inconsistent form, as in formatting your CV in an inconsistent manner. Not as in creating a CV in the exact same format as a personal statement, which in your words, is a ridiculous assumption.

Jeez, I don't think you're university material mate, your inference skills are very questionable.
I was wondering if you guys think there is any point of me applying to LSE with:

5A*s 5As at GCSE
Taking Maths, Further maths, Economics, Physics (dropped for A2)
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for A2

To study economics at LSE when they want A*AA :/ I mean i'm positive that i will get A*AA at A2 but ofc they don't know that..
Original post by BiddlyBoo
I was wondering if you guys think there is any point of me applying to LSE with:

5A*s 5As at GCSE
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for A2

To study economics at LSE when they want A*AA :/ I mean i'm positive that i will get A*AA at A2 but ofc they don't know that..

I wouldn't apply to straight econ with those grades. As you said, they won't know that you are able to achieve A*AA. It is like the most competitive course in the UK. I would either apply to a joint degree course (economics and history for instance) or to a different university. What are your other choices?
Reply 3704
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Yes, I said you'd carry on that kind of inconsistent form, as in formatting your CV in an inconsistent manner. Not as in creating a CV in the exact same format as a personal statement, which in your words, is a ridiculous assumption.

Jeez, I don't think you're university material mate, your inference skills are very questionable.

What I was saying is that why an earth would I have the same inconsistency in a CV, which is a totally different format that doesn't have the same constraints as a PS. What does my CV have to do with it in the first place?
Bristol (my realistic top choice) also i did a summer school at bristol which gives me an advantage
Birmingham
Queens mary
And an ABB uni (undecided)
Reply 3706
Bristol
Nottingham
Swansea
Loughborough
and stuck for a 5th choice? any help guys??
Ahh school have sent of my application, now I can sit back and relax, and hope I get a few offers :smile: Good Luck everyone else :smile:

5A*s 5As at GCSE
AABB at AS
Predicted AAA for A2

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2012/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx#generated-subheading6

econ.lse.ac.uk

UCAS code: L101 BSc/Econ

Course requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. Further Mathematics taken at A level is strongly preferred and is seen as an additional or fourth subject. Thus a combination of Mathematics, Further Mathematics and one other subject is not seen as providing the required breadth of knowledge and skills.
Bristol (my realistic top choice) also i did a summer school at bristol which gives me an advantage
Birmingham
Queens mary
And an ABB uni (undecided)

Good choices. But I wouldn't waste a choice because LSE even rejects A*A*A*A candidates, candidates you think that they'd definetely get a place.... They are unpredictable.
Original post by fredbol
What I was saying is that why an earth would I have the same inconsistency in a CV, which is a totally different format that doesn't have the same constraints as a PS. What does my CV have to do with it in the first place?

I never said "same", I said "kind" i.e. similar

I mentioned CV's because they serve a similar purpose - you're just selling yourself to an employer, not a university.

*sigh*
Reply 3711
Original post by crazy1234
Ahh school have sent of my application, now I can sit back and relax, and hope I get a few offers :smile: Good Luck everyone else :smile:

Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 3712
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
I never said "same", I said "kind" i.e. similar

I mentioned CV's because they serve a similar purpose - you're just selling yourself to an employer, not a university.

*sigh*

I just find it very hard to compare a CV and a PS, whilst I accept they serve a similar purpose bottom line is the only reason for inconsistency is because of the constraints :smile:

CVs have no constraints so no inconsistency
Reply 3713
Original post by crazy1234

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3714
Hi everyone! :smile:
New to the thread, hah.

GCSEs: 11A*s, 1A
AS: 5As in Maths, Economics, History, English Lit and Critical Thinking (also taking F Maths and Extended Project this year... why did I take on the challenge, hah...).
Choices: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol.
They all have pretty high entry requirements; I'm just hoping for some offers.
However, if I do get offers, then picking a firm and insurance will be awkward since the offers are likely to be the same :s-smilie: (assuming I get two offers from the first four options and that Bristol rejects me).

Anyone else with this problem?
Reply 3715
Original post by kaying
New to the thread, hah.

AS: 5As in Maths, Economics, History, English Lit and Critical Thinking (also taking F Maths and Extended Project this year... why did I take on the challenge, hah...).
However, if I do get offers, then picking a firm and insurance will be awkward since the offers are likely to be the same :s-smilie: (assuming I get two offers from the first four options and that Bristol rejects me).

Same here! Swap Warwick with Bath :smile:
Reply 3716
Original post by kaying
New to the thread, hah.

Nice! Which collgege at Cambridge are you applying to?
Reply 3717
Hi, I read the threads in the economics forum all the time but have never really posted in it.
Thought I might post now that I've finally sent off my UCAS. :smile:

GCSEs: 11 A*s
AS: 4 As (Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Spanish)
Choices: Cambridge, Nottingham, Bath, Manchester, East Anglia
Hey, would you guys say Greece is a stagnant economy?
Original post by ccc18
Hi, I read the threads in the economics forum all the time but have never really posted in it.
Thought I might post now that I've finally sent off my UCAS. :smile:

GCSEs: 11 A*s
AS: 4 As (Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Spanish)
Choices: Cambridge, Nottingham, Bath, Manchester, East Anglia

You were a bit conservative with your choices (if you got two or more A*s preds)

Latest

Trending

Trending