The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Aiboz
I can't believe it. I did the UKCAT yesterday and my result has got me so demotivated. I did some revision for it and managed to get under 600! Last year I had way above 600! :frown: UKCAT is truly no reflection of my ability, I know I could have done better. Well in fact, I have done better in the past and when its the most critical year for me and my last chance of applying to medicine I get below 600. What am I going to do? :frown: I'm really really worried its going to affect my application.

What did you get. I just had a look at last years medicine stalking thread and people have got in with UKCAT scores below 600 so all hope is not lost. :biggrin:
What did you get if you don't mind me asking I also got below 600 if it's any consolation.
Original post by taunt
has anyone sent their application off?

My form teacher is being an absolute *****!:angry:

I just want to kill her, shes not even started my reference, and she actually had the nerve to say that I wasnt her main priority FTW!!! Well if Ive made such an effort, its about time you did too. AGHH!!:mad:
Im feeling so depressed...

Loads of people are getting interveiws already, I feel so hopeless:frown:

I've had the exact same experience with my UCAS "person". For her I've had to change my PS so many times, that I'm now on my 10th draft, and she is still wanting me to add more in and cut tons out.

She hasn't started my reference either, and yet shes down my throat for not "perfected" my PS enough.

The best advice I can give you is just to keep pestering her about it, reminding her that you're wanting to do medicine.

And don't panic or get depressed because thats just not going to help :smile:

Original post by IamBeowulf
interviews already :eek: I havent sent mine off yet :afraid:

Same. She says she wants it to be sent by next thursday, two days before the bloody deadline.
Original post by tobnot

Thanks for that. How's BM6 going???

BM6 is great, however don't go into it thinking that they'll be nice....

it's the first week and we've already had a ton of work....
Original post by infernalcradle
BM6 is great, however don't go into it thinking that they'll be nice....

it's the first week and we've already had a ton of work....

I tried to warn you!! :P
Reply 584
hey guys,

hope your app is going well,

In terms of the BM6 interview...I was one of the first to get interviews last year and I was in early jan....

I also got the early offer which was in late feb....everyone else however got their offers in mid march....

so don't worry...make sure your app is as good as possible and PM if you want help

Thanks, much appreciated

hope you dont mind me asking, what ukcat did you get, and what were your AS grades and predicted grades?
Plus, the people who apply for the BM6 course, do they have to have like a really solid reason for why they are applying, or can it just be the usual reasons?

:smile:
Original post by taunt
Thanks, much appreciated

hope you dont mind me asking, what ukcat did you get, and what were your AS grades and predicted grades?
Plus, the people who apply for the BM6 course, do they have to have like a really solid reason for why they are applying, or can it just be the usual reasons?

he. basically. smacked it.
Original post by taunt
Thanks, much appreciated

UKCAT was 725
AS was AACC
predicted A*BB

why would you need any different reasons??

BM6 is still medicine, however it is for those such as myself who have the potential, but have been held back due to circumstances beyond our control
Reply 587
Hey, I was wondering what's the difference between BM5 and BM6? Is there a reason BM6 has a lower grade requirement? Thanks :smile:
Original post by nareen9
Hey, I was wondering what's the difference between BM5 and BM6? Is there a reason BM6 has a lower grade requirement? Thanks :smile:

BM6 is a widening access course that lasts a year and if you pass it you are assured a place on the BM5 so it is considered Year 0 (BM5 being years 1,2,3,4,5). It is for those who have not had the social and financial background to get into standard entry medicine. The entry requirements are lower as some of those applying are likely to have come from some of the worst performing schools and therefore, despite being capable of succeeding, are not able to get the top grades.

There are a few other criteria for BM6:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Your A levels must also include Biology whereas this isn't a requirement of BM5.

There is more competition for the BM6, as there are 30 places and a 22:1 ration of applicants per place compared to BM5 which is 14:1. BM6 also has an interview.

During the BM6 year you cover aspects from the BM5 course and also go on placement. It prepares you for entry to BM5 and isn't just a gap between A level and degree, but degree level stuff on a smaller scale. It's a 3 day week and you're assessed by exams and essays similar to on the BM5 course.

Hope this helps!!
hey guys, HOW YA DOIN? im applying for bm6.... dont know my other 3 choices yet.. :smile:
Original post by BethaneyJ
BM6 is a widening access course that lasts a year and if you pass it you are assured a place on the BM5 so it is considered Year 0 (BM5 being years 1,2,3,4,5). It is for those who have not had the social and financial background to get into standard entry medicine. The entry requirements are lower as some of those applying are likely to have come from some of the worst performing schools and therefore, despite being capable of succeeding, are not able to get the top grades.

There are a few other criteria for BM6:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Looked after young people living in supported accommodation
In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Your A levels must also include Biology whereas this isn't a requirement of BM5.

There is more competition for the BM6, as there are 30 places and a 22:1 ration of applicants per place compared to BM5 which is 14:1. BM6 also has an interview.

During the BM6 year you cover aspects from the BM5 course and also go on placement. It prepares you for entry to BM5 and isn't just a gap between A level and degree, but degree level stuff on a smaller scale. It's a 3 day week and you're assessed by exams and essays similar to on the BM5 course.

Hope this helps!!

I thought they gave out 50 offers for 30 places.

To be frank, I don't think I'm going to get in this year. If I don't resit my chemistry, I'll probably apply to the foundation courses, which are even more competitive! I'll probably lose an interview to someone more deserving.

If I do resit my chemistry, I'll be up against people who have AAA predictions or have already achieved AAA and thus they're already at an advantage. The only thing left for me is to try and perfect my personal statement and pray.

Original post by cobra2k10
hey guys, HOW YA DOIN? im applying for bm6.... dont know my other 3 choices yet.. :smile:

And hey! I'm doing fine. I want to begin my gap year properly, but that'll only happen after my application is sent. What about you? What are you doing/up to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tzarchasm
I thought they gave out 50 offers for 30 places.

To be frank, I don't think I'm going to get in this year. If I don't resit my chemistry, I'll probably apply to the foundation courses, which are even more competitive! I'll probably lose an interview to someone more deserving.

If I do resit my chemistry, I'll be up against people who have AAA predictions or have already achieved AAA and thus they're already at an advantage. The only thing left for me is to try and perfect my personal statement and pray.

And hey! I'm doing fine. I want to begin my gap year properly, but that'll only happen after my application is sent. What about you? What are you doing/up to?

There are 200 interviews, 45 offers and 30 places.
Reply 592
Does anyone know if Southampton are happy to give feedback on unsuccessful applications?
Original post by tobnot
Does anyone know if Southampton are happy to give feedback on unsuccessful applications?

Unfortunately not. After my rejections, I emailed them and they were unable to give me any personal feedback.
UKCAT was 725
AS was AACC
predicted A*BB

BM6 is still medicine, however it is for those such as myself who have the potential, but have been held back due to circumstances beyond our control

what do you mean by that - you went to a badly performing school??

Basically, I had extenuating circumstances in my 2nd year of college so I got BBC when I was predicted AAA. My grades are very low as in my final june exams I got U's in nearly all the modules so this brought my grades down in each subject. I am also redoing my 2nd year at a different college which is 90 minutes away by bus so its a mission getting there everday for 9am. I should hopefully be able to get AAA or higher this time. I have the grades for BM6 but as I'm resitting, I dont know whether they will accept me. I am also going to apply to onw or two 5 year medicine courses that accept resits for applicants who had special circumstances. I did my UKCAT on the 6th and after over a months revision i just got under 600 average :frown: . I have alot of work experience but I am soon to start voluntary work at my local hospital. After I have sent my application off this week, I am going to put my head down and study hard for my JAN exams so I can get AAA before June 2012. I just hope I get in this year and goodluck to everyone :smile:. Any ideas for my other choices, thanks.
Unfortunately not. After my rejections, I emailed them and they were unable to give me any personal feedback.

Original post by tobnot

I had some slightly personalised feedback but I was on a waiting list rather than straight rejected so that might be different.
Original post by BethaneyJ
I had some slightly personalised feedback but I was on a waiting list rather than straight rejected so that might be different.

How much are the tuition fees for the foundation year? £9000 or less.
Did you pay less than what your paying for the BM5 now?
are any scholarships/grants available? :smile:
Reply 598
UKCAT was 725
AS was AACC
predicted A*BB

WOW!:eek:
Your UKCAT is excellent!
mine was so so so poor, it was in the late 500's shall we say:frown:. I have a predicted of AAA though. I just hope my UKCAT doesnt let me down.
Original post by cobra2k10
How much are the tuition fees for the foundation year? £9000 or less.
Did you pay less than what your paying for the BM5 now?
are any scholarships/grants available? :smile:

The fees are set from the year you start, so mine are £3275. They were in Bm6 and they will be until I qualify. If you start in 2012 then your fees will be £9000, including the Bm6 year. However you should be eligible for discounts depending on your household income :smile:

There is a BM6 bursary of £1000 for your first year and the uni will give you a grant every year of either £1200 or £600 depending on your household income etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending