The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Sometimes stuff like that freaks me out. Like I can't watch Crimewatch coz, aside from it being a scary programme, I'm just like "but how can people do that to other people?" :confused: It troubles me. Equally the Jamie Bulger case is disturbing. What kind of 11 year old decides to take a toddler and put him on the railway tracks? It's a funny world we live in :sadnod:

I'm not close to my parish priest at all. I hunted down the priest who ministers at my convent school because I know he's a liberal Catholic too. I was amazed to actually get direct access to him :eek:

You're not the only one that it grieves.

*has visions of TLG hiding in long grass in a trenchcoat and cap stalking a priest*
Original post by Lantana
You're not the only one that it grieves.

*has visions of TLG hiding in long grass in a trenchcoat and cap stalking a priest*

:awesome: :colone: :ninja:

I don't stalk people :ninja: Though I did follow the Pope to Hyde Park. He injured my foot :yep:
I'm loving a late birthday present from a close friend of mine - my new Kindle is awesome! :awesome: I've already got like 200 books on there and a load of sermons and bible study stuff on there which I can take anywhere. I had far too many books and they were too expensive so this IMO is honestly a great invention. I don't know how relevant this was to the soc... but I felt like sharing :ahee:

EDIT: And I know realise how much like an ad for the Kindle that sounded :ninja:

Hope everyone is alright this evening though :wavey:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Facticity
I'm loving a late birthday present from a close friend of mine - my new Kindle is awesome! :awesome: I've already got like 200 books on there and a load of sermons and bible study stuff on there which I can take anywhere. I had far too many books and they were too expensive so this IMO is honestly a great invention. I don't know how relevant this was to the soc... but I felt like sharing :ahee:

EDIT: And I know realise how much like an ad for the Kindle that sounded :ninja:

Hope everyone is alright this evening though :wavey:

Considering buying one because I think it'll save me money.
2 questions though
- most of the books I want are really old so are available in pdf form online, I already have most of them in pdf. Does kindle work with pdf?
- don't you miss having a proper book in your hand, not a screen? I love being able to write in books.
Original post by JB Johnstone

Original post by JB Johnstone
Considering buying one because I think it'll save me money.
2 questions though
- most of the books I want are really old so are available in pdf form online, I already have most of them in pdf. Does kindle work with pdf?
- don't you miss having a proper book in your hand, not a screen? I love being able to write in books.

- Yes it has a perfect pdf reader. A lot of my favourites like Orwell or Twain or even just history stuff is in pdf and I have no issues with them :nah:

- Errm I have a case (I can't own something like this without some sort of protective casing) and it feels like a book. The E-Ink screen really makes it feel like you're reading a book and there is no eye strain as there is no back ligt. The only difference is you obviously can't doodle but you can certainly annotate on it - getting a keyboard version would make this much easier.

But one thing is, that since the e-books are traded electronically, you can choose to have the most frequently highlighted parts by other kindle users show and this is good for study I guess. Also if someone else has a kindle, you can share books so it saves having to buy them. And the dictionary really helps when reading something heavy for a quick lookup. Plus you can take all your books with you anywhere! All in all, I think its great. :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I think there's enough interest in the bible study for it to go ahead once we work out a couple of minor details such as how long do we want to devote to each chapter?

Also, me and mum are having our first Bake Off tomorrow. Cupcake challenge. :redface: (Next month: Tarts)
May I ask my respectful Christian brothers and sisters, what is the evidence that the bible is god words?

Thanks and all the best
Original post by Happy forever
May I ask my respectful Christian brothers and sisters, what is the evidence that the bible is god words?

Thanks and all the best

I'll quote St. Augustine on this: "I would not believe in the Gospel if the authority of the Catholic Church did not move me to do so."
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by adamrules247
I'll quote St. Augustine on this: "I would not believe in the gospel myself were it not for the authority of the Catholic Church"

Please, read my question again.
I am asking for an evidence and evidence means a logical proof accepted by mind.

Thanks anyway
Original post by Happy forever
Please, read my question again.
I am asking for an evidence and evidence means a logical proof accepted by mind.

Thanks anyway

Please take this to the "Ask a Christian" thread. This is for practicing Christians to informally chat to one another :yes:
Oh and I think a study time for Revelations in the Soc would be a great idea. It is one of the books which I am very interested in. Yea I think making a thread on it would be most beneficial - however that would also leave it open to anyone else posting on it. So I'm not sure in that regard. :redface:
Original post by Facticity
Oh and I think a study time for Revelations in the Soc would be a great idea. It is one of the books which I am very interested in. Yea I think making a thread on it would be most beneficial - however that would also leave it open to anyone else posting on it. So I'm not sure in that regard. :redface:

It depends if they stay on topic. Surely if the title is for example, X-soc bible study and discussion on revelation, then if they are harassing us about other stuff, we'll just refer them to the correct thread or report them for spamming and being off topic.
A few moments ago my American neighbour came in crying after going to a ball with a girl he liked (yet has still only known for a couple weeks) and he left early and said he was "barking up the wrong tree" and felt really hurting and vulnerable.
I want to help him and meet him in his pain and take it off him but I don't know what to do except pray.
He's not Christian (and is against it) but he has been reading the bible "for literary merit". How cool and AMAZING would it be if he started reading now randomly in his room and God totally met him there?

I know his unfortunate circumstances are from the Lord, the way He has structured this evening is so amazing and glorious and wonderful and I just want to praise Him. My friend needs Jesus! Please pray. :smile:
I don't think we need to worry too much about other posts: one of the site admins is going to be an active participant... :P
Original post by EEngWillow
I don't think we need to worry too much about other posts: one of the site admins is going to be an active participant... :P

Hehe, yeah. I was thinking about it earlier myself. I think if we just say what the purpose of the thread is, we can respectfully ask people stick to that purpose. Anything else, like they want to discuss Revelation from a non-Christian perspective could be done in their own, separate thread. That way, we could ensure the thread keeps on topic and could remove any off-topic posts to another thread.
Incredibly blessed and challenged by a section from Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. Thought I'd type it up so other people can join in.

http://liquid-grace.blogspot.com/2011/10/love.html
Right I have a dilemma. This is kinda my story in brief.

I was christened church of england. But my family isn't entirely church of england... my grandma was a catholic and she married a non catholic and therefore got kicked out of the church (back in the day). However she still did all her catholic prayers and reading the bible and going to relatives communions and weddings etc, just as much a catholic as anyone else. we as a family were much closer to her side of the family, and so that whole kind of culture I've been around my entire life, I've never really had a church of england up bringing so to say. well.. I was brought up on the morals of christianity, went to rainbows brownies and guides etc.

I've had a rough year... and found I turned to God a lot, and started to live by the principles I believe in. i looked back on my life and felt that I was trying to live by my peers expectations, instead of my own, and when I was removed from that, I sort of remembered who I really was. i'm thinking of joining my universities christian society. I've got talking on Facebook to a few of the people who are in it, and they all seem EXACTLY like the type of people I've been searching for for a long time to be friends with! my problem that I have though is that.. I have a boyfriend of three and a half years, and we have sex. Not only that but he does things which go against my morals. but yet I respect that its his choice, and doesn't make up all of him, and it isn't that stuff that I pay attention to, but all the other things like that he is always there for me, and he has got me through pretty bad times and does favours for me, we always have a good time together etc. I feel bad to be going to the society when I'm in this situation :/ I don't know what to do. I feel like I should be going for it 100% by the rules, or not at all.
Original post by insignificant

We are all sinners, saved by grace. None of us is perfect, however if we recognise sin in ourselves, we should repent of it and turn away from it. Not that this is easy, or that we will repeatedly mess up, but this is what we are called to do. It's also much easier to do when we are accountable to others. So, go along and don't be stopped by your shame that you've messed up, after all so have we all.
Original post by Lantana
It depends if they stay on topic. Surely if the title is for example, X-soc bible study and discussion on revelation, then if they are harassing us about other stuff, we'll just refer them to the correct thread or report them for spamming and being off topic.

you'd have to set some clear cut rules. Lets keep praying about it and see what we can do, if we as a community think that this is something we want to do then that's awesome.

I really believe that God takes part within this group of people and it's interesting (to say the least) for me to look back on this thread a year ago when it felt like it was mostly just me posting! These days we're really gathering momentum! One other word on the bible study is that I think it would be good to set it up so a different user presented x amount of revelations each week in the form of an e-study and then we could use the thread to chat and discuss about it - but that will definately be a time where I think we will need to really seek what the LORD is saying and be prepared to have any preconceptions aside.
Reply 7159
I wish I was less paranoid/overanalytical/worried all the time. I also wish that my brief spurts of feeling ready to do the thing I need to do would coincide with circumstances that allowed it to happen. I think I just need to calm down a bit, because if I don't, it's going to be totally counterproductive and drive me crazy.

Sorry, I just needed to rant somewhere that's slightly more anonymous than facebook etc.!

Latest

Trending

Trending