The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingme
whats a fairly decent ukcat score?

I'd say around 830ish, you should be clearing that mark for entry to most universities. Bath Medical School require 880, just a heads up.
Original post by Straight up G
I'd say around 830ish, you should be clearing that mark for entry to most universities. Bath Medical School require 880, just a heads up.

That was last year's cut off though, so it's likely to rise again this year.
Reply 7742
Original post by Straight up G

i momentarily **** myself there. i got 695, where does that stand in the grand scheme of scores?
Reply 7743
Original post by kingme
i momentarily **** myself there. i got 695, where does that stand in the grand scheme of scores?

thats an amazing score!
Reply 7744
Is Glasgow 100% PBL? someone said its only PBL for first year:/
Reply 7745
Original post by Sophia56
thats an amazing score!

is it that good? i kinda made a hash of it last year, but the only people that i can remeber definitely getting in got well over 700. I know one guy got 705, never got in anywhere, but that was for dentistry.

havent really done anything work experience/voluntary wise with my extra year, hoping that wont scupper me :s
Reply 7746
Is Glasgow 100% PBL? someone said its only PBL for first year:/

no they changed it. it was mostly PBL, but i think this year, or next, there will be less PBL. most people i talked to didnt like the idea of it, but i thought it sounded better than sitting in lectures all the time.
Reply 7747
I havent paid and sent my UCAS form yet eeeeek. still undecided about my 4th uni choice! does it really matter how late or early you send it as long as its in by the 15th? is there a preference given to the early ones?
Reply 7748
Original post by kingme
no they changed it. it was mostly PBL, but i think this year, or next, there will be less PBL. most people i talked to didnt like the idea of it, but i thought it sounded better than sitting in lectures all the time.

see i dont really like the idea of PBL in case i end up researching and learning irrelevant info etc, id rather make lecture notes and know theyre important. i find PBL all a bit weird tbh, but im now considering applying for glasgow as long as its not too PBL-y
Reply 7749
Original post by kingme
is it that good? i kinda made a hash of it last year, but the only people that i can remeber definitely getting in got well over 700. I know one guy got 705, never got in anywhere, but that was for dentistry.

havent really done anything work experience/voluntary wise with my extra year, hoping that wont scupper me :s

where are you applying? yeah thats a really good score i got 662.5 and thought it was good enough, know a few smarties who got well below but then obv a few 700s but mostly people cluster around the 650 mark! have you any work exp at all?
Reply 7750
I havent paid and sent my UCAS form yet eeeeek. still undecided about my 4th uni choice! does it really matter how late or early you send it as long as its in by the 15th? is there a preference given to the early ones?

shouldnt think so. wouldnt want to seem to eager:smile: youre just lucky your schools not making you have it in super early

see i dont really like the idea of PBL in case i end up researching and learning irrelevant info etc, id rather make lecture notes and know theyre important. i find PBL all a bit weird tbh, but im now considering applying for glasgow as long as its not too PBL-y

dont think that really happened, from what i gather everyone gets given what you should have found out anyway. and seeing as you're going to want to know as much as possible anyway i dont think it would be too big a deal if you learnt extra stuff. personally, i think id learn better, but id imagine that once in a while youd spend ages looking up the wrong stuff.

at the end of the day youre still getting your degree.
Reply 7751
where are you applying? yeah thats a really good score i got 662.5 and thought it was good enough, know a few smarties who got well below but then obv a few 700s but mostly people cluster around the 650 mark! have you any work exp at all?

glasgow, dundee, aberdeen, st andrews, you?

did a wee bit last year, one week in royal alexandra in paisley and two days in the victoria in southside. ive only done one day so far this year, got another on wednesday and one more on monday. would have liked to have done more, but its a real hassle to get it.

From what I can tell PBL isn't exactly like that, it's not just going off and learning it yourself; you're typically in a smallish group of 8ish people and a tutor, you discuss a scenario, then go and research it by yourself. Afterwards you then collate the information together as a group. Anything that would be irrelevant info would probably be ironed out by the tutor.
Reply 7753
Original post by kingme

did a wee bit last year, one week in royal alexandra in paisley and two days in the victoria in southside. ive only done one day so far this year, got another on wednesday and one more on monday. would have liked to have done more, but its a real hassle to get it.

thats grand then! ive only done 1 proper weeks work exp but then i volunteer on a hospital ward so does that count as work exp yeah? im from northern ireland so im applying to belfast, aberdeen, dundee and leeds. might change aberdeen to glasgow though. however we're told not to put more than 1 scottish done as they dont really take many from here
Reply 7754
Original post by kingme

im guessing youre from scotland, why arent you applying to edinburgh?
Reply 7755

Only for some universities like Birmingham, which have already started sending out interview letters.
Reply 7756
thats grand then! ive only done 1 proper weeks work exp but then i volunteer on a hospital ward so does that count as work exp yeah? im from northern ireland so im applying to belfast, aberdeen, dundee and leeds. might change aberdeen to glasgow though. however we're told not to put more than 1 scottish done as they dont really take many from here

suppose it kind of does. you'll be able to talk about it in interview at least.

and as for unis not taking people depending on where there from, im not sure. ive heard that edinburgh doesnt really take many glaswegians, for example. dont really know why they would though, a good application is a good application. and they cant see how many scottish unis youre applying to anyway.
Original post by Joseppea
I was not expecting a reply that quickly...I only sent it yesterday! :zomg:

No faiirr.. mine was sent of Thursday!! :unimpressed:
Ah wells :tongue:
Have you logged in?? Not quite sure what to do with it though.. do we have to check it regularly or would they also send things to our email account?
Original post by spoinkytheduck
No faiirr.. mine was sent of Thursday!! :unimpressed:
Ah wells :tongue:
Have you logged in?? Not quite sure what to do with it though.. do we have to check it regularly or would they also send things to our email account?

No idea :confused: - I logged in, looked around and then sort of left again. XD

I looked at the virtual tours again and remembered how awesome Kings looks. :love:
Reply 7759
im guessing youre from scotland, why arent you applying to edinburgh?

they dont interview. Ive got an extra year with which to be a caring, cultured person who takes a great interest in their community and volunteers all the time. instead ive sat in bed watching 4od. so my guess is i wouldnt get in to edinburgh. im just hoping my sterling personality will swing it for me in interview :smile: (if i get one)

Latest

Trending

Trending