The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spoinkytheduck
No faiirr.. mine was sent of Thursday!! :unimpressed:
Ah wells :tongue:
Have you logged in?? Not quite sure what to do with it though.. do we have to check it regularly or would they also send things to our email account?

I think UCAS emails you every time Track updates anything, I've only logged on a couple of times to check that there are no 'unsuccessful's yet :tongue:
Original post by Sophia56
thats grand then! ive only done 1 proper weeks work exp but then i volunteer on a hospital ward so does that count as work exp yeah? im from northern ireland so im applying to belfast, aberdeen, dundee and leeds. might change aberdeen to glasgow though. however we're told not to put more than 1 scottish done as they dont really take many from here

Given the amount of Irish & NI people I've met in Aberdeen I'd say that was *******s.
Reply 7762
Original post by kingme
they dont interview. Ive got an extra year with which to be a caring, cultured person who takes a great interest in their community and volunteers all the time. instead ive sat in bed watching 4od. so my guess is i wouldnt get in to edinburgh. im just hoping my sterling personality will swing it for me in interview :smile: (if i get one)

ive never had an interview in my life, terrified! id definately apply to ed if they werent so discriminative!!
Reply 7763
Original post by Normandy114
I think UCAS emails you every time Track updates anything, I've only logged on a couple of times to check that there are no 'unsuccessful's yet :tongue:

Not always. So it is always safer to check every now and then. They released the track results a few hours ahead of schedule this year but no emails were sent out at that time. :smile:
Reply 7764
Original post by Sophia56
ive never had an interview in my life, terrified! id definately apply to ed if they werent so discriminative!!

they're supposed to be the best med school in scotland, but i just dont fancy it apart from anything else. i have also never had an interview, but if i pretend to myself that ill be really good at it then im not so bothered:smile:
Reply 7765
Original post by Vulpes
Not always. So it is always safer to check every now and then. They released the track results a few hours ahead of schedule this year but no emails were sent out at that time. :smile:

do you not check a box or something to ask them to do this. cos itd be a pain in the arse to have to be constantly logging into track.
Original post by Vulpes

Oh right, wasn't aware of that, I also just had to go check track just in case. :colone:
Reply 7767
Original post by kingme
do you not check a box or something to ask them to do this. cos itd be a pain in the arse to have to be constantly logging into track.

They do send you emails for interviews, offers and changes to offer. I was just stating an example from the 2011 Entry cycle when no emails were sent out.

Better safe than sorry :smile:
Original post by Joseppea
No idea :confused: - I logged in, looked around and then sort of left again. XD

I looked at the virtual tours again and remembered how awesome Kings looks. :love:

Saammee.. I really wanted to make more of the moment but just ended up looking at the pictures of Kings I'd seen before on the website :colondollar:

Haha, same.. :redface:
If we're this paranoid now.. imagine how we'll be in a few months!! :tongue:
Nah, in a couple of months' time I'll have four rejections and nothing to be paranoid about :wink:

Nooo.. in a few months time you'll have 4 offers and nothing to paranoid about :wink:
Reply 7770
UKCAT went reaaaaaally ****.
Original post by maemg

What's done is done, just work on your application and getting your grades :smile: There's always places you can apply so don't worry about it too much, just apply smart :smile:

Depend on what your ukcat is like, you could apply to low weighting ukcat places suck as Aberdeen (8%) or places that don't use it at all like Liverpool or Lancaster and I'm sure theres a few others :smile:
Original post by maemg

It's fine, mine went badly too (590). The hardest part is the fact it makes you feel awful about yourself (or at least it did for me), and the fact that you have to reconsider where you wanted to apply and forget about places you were in love with (Oh, Manchester </3). But there are quite a few unis that don't use/don't use it much so all is not lost by any means. :smile:

Where you thinking of applying?
Reply 7773
Original post by Quackers93
What's done is done, just work on your application and getting your grades :smile: There's always places you can apply so don't worry about it too much, just apply smart :smile:

Depend on what your ukcat is like, you could apply to low weighting ukcat places suck as Aberdeen (8%) or places that don't use it at all like Liverpool or Lancaster and I'm sure theres a few others :smile:

Thanks i just feel terrible, I was really nervous before hand and did pretty badly in the first 2 sections and then really well in the last 2, which is pretty gutting. my gcse's weren't great so the ukcat was my lifeline, i can only really apply to aberdeen and queens and my other 3 coices are for biotechnology at imperial ucl and maybe manchester but if i get 3A's at a-level i'll definatly reapply as queens for instance give a bit of preference to reapplicants.
Reply 7774
Original post by maemg
Thanks i just feel terrible, I was really nervous before hand and did pretty badly in the first 2 sections and then really well in the last 2, which is pretty gutting. my gcse's weren't great so the ukcat was my lifeline, i can only really apply to aberdeen and queens and my other 3 coices are for biotechnology at imperial ucl and maybe manchester but if i get 3A's at a-level i'll definatly reapply as queens for instance give a bit of preference to reapplicants.

If you are expecting to achieve 3 As at A Level, why don't you consider universities like Bristol, Keele, Liverpool and Leeds? These do not have a heavy emphasis on the UKCAT.

:smile:
Reply 7775
Original post by Parle à ma main
It's fine, mine went badly too (590). The hardest part is the fact it makes you feel awful about yourself (or at least it did for me), and the fact that you have to reconsider where you wanted to apply and forget about places you were in love with (Oh, Manchester </3). But there are quite a few unis that don't use/don't use it much so all is not lost by any means. :smile:

Where you thinking of applying?

I think its a really unfair way of selecting medical students, its a guessing game really it doesnt have anything to do with how intelligent you are or how good a doctor you will be. I'll just have to have another crack at it again next year i guess.:redface:
Reply 7776
Original post by maemg
I think its a really unfair way of selecting medical students, its a guessing game really it doesnt have anything to do with how intelligent you are or how good a doctor you will be. I'll just have to have another crack at it again next year i guess.:redface:

yeah, im not sold on it either. though 'how good a doctor you will be' is so subjective anyway. it seems to me just a way of cutting down on the huge numbers really.
Reply 7777
Original post by Vulpes
If you are expecting to achieve 3 As at A Level, why don't you consider universities like Bristol, Keele, Liverpool and Leeds? These do not have a heavy emphasis on the UKCAT.

:smile:

Are leeds very personal statement/ predicted grade based? how do they rank applicants for interview?:eek:
Original post by maemg

Yeah, I think it clutches on straws ridiculously. It's very biased towards logical/mathematical intelligence, if it measures intelligence at all, and I think that's quite unfair. Medicine is so broad that someone who is academic but whose inherent strengths are in making links, or in understanding people would do just as well.

Why next year? low UKCAT =/= straight rejections. :smile:
Reply 7779
Original post by maemg
Are leeds very personal statement/ predicted grade based? how do they rank applicants for interview?:eek:

Leeds uses a point based system and the top scoring applicants will be eligible for an interview. The actual scoring system was posted somewhere on TSR which I can't seem to find atm but they do place a heavy emphasis on your personal statement and predicted grades. They also take your GCSEs into account I'm afraid but with a good reference and personal statement, you can regain points there.

Latest