The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7780
Original post by Vulpes
Leeds uses a point based system and the top scoring applicants will be eligible for an interview. The actual scoring system was posted somewhere on TSR which I can't seem to find atm but they do place a heavy emphasis on your personal statement and predicted grades. They also take your GCSEs into account I'm afraid but with a good reference and personal statement, you can regain points there.

Thank you so much Vulpes! I haven't been able to sleep about it thats why i'm up so late! I'll take a look at it know!:biggrin:
Original post by maemg
Thanks i just feel terrible, I was really nervous before hand and did pretty badly in the first 2 sections and then really well in the last 2, which is pretty gutting. my gcse's weren't great so the ukcat was my lifeline, i can only really apply to aberdeen and queens and my other 3 coices are for biotechnology at imperial ucl and maybe manchester but if i get 3A's at a-level i'll definatly reapply as queens for instance give a bit of preference to reapplicants.

:hugs: Your score might not be that bad - tsr isn't very representative.
Brighton and Sussex is worth a shot - they hardly use the UKCAT :smile:
Reply 7782
Original post by maemg
Thank you so much Vulpes! I haven't been able to sleep about it thats why i'm up so late! I'll take a look at it know!:biggrin:

Original post by theshowmustgoon
:hugs: Your score might not be that bad - tsr isn't very representative.
Brighton and Sussex is worth a shot - they hardly use the UKCAT :smile:

Happy to help :biggrin:

Agreed with the above post. And B&S does not have any stated GCSE requirements so that may be one of the better options for you to consider if you are that worried about your GCSEs.

You can try entering your academics into this spreadsheet. It may possibly show you more options than you have previously considered.
Original post by maemg

UKCAT policy of each medical school: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT
Obviously avoid places like sheffield, newcastle, glasgow etc.
Reply 7784
Thanks everyone, Yea i downloaded that spreadsheet and was going through it . I might ring BSMS on monday and talk to them about my stats . :biggrin: Leeds is looking good though.
Reply 7785
I will hopefully be sending off my application tomorow. Everything is ready apart from I dont know which unis to apply to :frown:

Decisions, decisions :s-smilie:
Reply 7786
Original post by swind
i will hopefully be sending off my application tomorow. Everything is ready apart from i dont know which unis to apply to :frown:

decisions, decisions :s

good luckkkk :biggrin:
Reply 7787
Hey my application is nearly finished but cannot decide on my fourth choice, between birmingham (through A2B) or peninsula.

I really like birmingham but think of it as a big risk, and I don't really know too many people who got through the a2b scheme.

My app so far is:
GCSE :4A*s 3As
Alevels predictions : A*A*A* + A*(EP) , with chem bio and maths at A in AS and phyiscs at a B
UKCAT: vr550 qr720 ar690 da760 avg 680
Wrk exp/Volunteering:2 weeks in hospital, weekly nursing hme, weekly primary school, weekly charity shop in hospital

Choices so far:
leicester
manchester
barts
peninsula/birmingham

Can some one please recommend me on what to do, because I've left my app so late and think I might be at a disadvantage
Original post by rohitbd
Hey my application is nearly finished but cannot decide on my fourth choice, between birmingham (through A2B) or peninsula.

I really like birmingham but think of it as a big risk, and I don't really know too many people who got through the a2b scheme.

My app so far is:
GCSE :4A*s 3As
Alevels predictions : A*A*A* + A*(EP) , with chem bio and maths at A in AS and phyiscs at a B
UKCAT: vr550 qr720 ar690 da760 avg 680
Wrk exp/Volunteering:2 weeks in hospital, weekly nursing hme, weekly primary school, weekly charity shop in hospital

Choices so far:
leicester
manchester
barts
peninsula/birmingham

Can some one please recommend me on what to do, because I've left my app so late and think I might be at a disadvantage

Normally you need 8A*+ for Brum, is that different with the A2B scheme? I know with the Newcastle uni equivalent scheme you still need to meet the UKCAT cut off, the only thing that's different is the offer you get. If Brum uses the same admissions process for A2B you might not get an interview with 4A*. :frown:

Peninsula had a cut off of 620 last year I think so that looks good. :smile: Your PS sounds like it must be amazing too.
Original post by Sophia56
thats grand then! ive only done 1 proper weeks work exp but then i volunteer on a hospital ward so does that count as work exp yeah? im from northern ireland so im applying to belfast, aberdeen, dundee and leeds. might change aberdeen to glasgow though. however we're told not to put more than 1 scottish done as they dont really take many from here

If I were you I'd be careful with glasgow's ukcat cut off. I think admissions were advising applicants to get 670 you might be safer with Aberdeen. I'm applying there:smile:. I think Glasgow is more pbl than other Scottish med schools but I could be wrong.:tongue:
Reply 7790
Original post by Parle à ma main
Normally you need 8A*+ for Brum, is that different with the A2B scheme? I know with the Newcastle uni equivalent scheme you still need to meet the UKCAT cut off, the only thing that's different is the offer you get. If Brum uses the same admissions process for A2B you might not get an interview with 4A*. :frown:

Peninsula had a cut off of 620 last year I think so that looks good. :smile: Your PS sounds like it must be amazing too.

Thanks for the reply, and yeah brum reduce the gcse requirements through a2b but I think I'll go with peninsula as brum seems a bit too risky
Original post by rohitbd
Thanks for the reply, and yeah brum reduce the gcse requirements through a2b but I think I'll go with peninsula as brum seems a bit too risky

You could ring up Brum and ask them about your GCSEs?

Peninsula sounds cool though, I met a junior doc who went to Peninsula and she loved it. Apparently you get loads of clinical exposure because you live in Exeter/Plymouth/Truro. She said the course was really good as well, you were well supported with the PBL.
Reply 7792
You could ring up Brum and ask them about your GCSEs?

Peninsula sounds cool though, I met a junior doc who went to Peninsula and she loved it. Apparently you get loads of clinical exposure because you live in Exeter/Plymouth/Truro. She said the course was really good as well, you were well supported with the PBL.

Yeah peninsula does sound pretty good, and yeah I called brum and they said they would consider my application but cannot tell me if I am eligible for an interview, are you a med student or a hopeful med student, and if so where are you looking to apply, or where did you apply. :smile:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Aww.. I want my UCAS letter!! You guys are making me soo jelly!! :tongue:

When did you send of your application to UCAS? :smile:

Sent mine of last Sunday, got the letter on Friday!! So nervous :s-smilie:. But anyway Good Luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 7794
Original post by Anterior view
If I were you I'd be careful with glasgow's ukcat cut off. I think admissions were advising applicants to get 670 you might be safer with Aberdeen. I'm applying there:smile:. I think Glasgow is more pbl than other Scottish med schools but I could be wrong.:tongue:

ok thanks i would never have know that!
Original post by rohitbd
Yeah peninsula does sound pretty good, and yeah I called brum and they said they would consider my application but cannot tell me if I am eligible for an interview, are you a med student or a hopeful med student, and if so where are you looking to apply, or where did you apply. :smile:

Why would Brum say that! Wish unis were just straight with us. :p:

I'm a hopeful, same boat as you. Applied to: Keele, Liverpool, East Anglia and Aberdeen. Sent the UCAS form off to school on Fri. Obviously I'm really hoping I get a place this year but at the same time I think we should keep perspective and remember that not getting in this year isn't the end of the world... we have next year, and the year after next, and the year after that etc. :p:
Aberdeen seems really popular this year! Is it the new Edinburgh? :teeth:
Reply 7797
Aberdeen seems really popular this year! Is it the new Edinburgh? :teeth:

its apparently the up-and-coming scottish med school.

however, its in aberdeen, not edinburgh, so probably not as popular :smile:
Reply 7798
Original post by kingme
its apparently the up-and-coming scottish med school.

however, its in aberdeen, not edinburgh, so probably not as popular :smile:

Aberdeen is a really friendly school!
Reply 7799
Original post by oldbatty
Aberdeen is a really friendly school!

id definitely take aberdeen over edinburgh. was making the point about geographical location:tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending