The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7800
and how do admissions folk view applicants on JSA?
Original post by kingme
its apparently the up-and-coming scottish med school.

however, its in aberdeen, not edinburgh, so probably not as popular :smile:

Ooh, how so? It's high on the league tables iirc, is that why?

True, although 'Deen is a really cute city (from what I've seen on google images lol)
Original post by kingme
and how do admissions folk view applicants on JSA?

Can't see them minding as long as you have the voluntary and what have you that they like. :dontknow:
Reply 7803
Original post by Parle à ma main
Can't see them minding as long as you have the voluntary and what have you that they like. :dontknow:

im reapplying, it doesnt really sound like a very productive year does it? and i havent done much voluntary for a while. think im just going to have to put what i want to do and hope i can talk about it in interview.
Original post by kingme
im reapplying, it doesnt really sound like a very productive year does it? and i havent done much voluntary for a while. think im just going to have to put what i want to do and hope i can talk about it in interview.

Sounds like a plan. :smile: As long as you do have some voluntary/work experience stuff that you can talk about, it's all good, surely.
Reply 7805
Ooh, how so? It's high on the league tables iirc, is that why?

True, although 'Deen is a really cute city (from what I've seen on google images lol)

you seem to have mistaken me for someone in the know. apparently its hard to get into, and has been making big improvements of one kind or another. thats what i heard last year
Reply 7806
Sounds like a plan. :smile: As long as you do have some voluntary/work experience stuff that you can talk about, it's all good, surely.

yeah, **** worrying when you can be complacent and just reapply next year :L
Original post by kingme
you seem to have mistaken me for someone in the know. apparently its hard to get into, and has been making big improvements of one kind or another. thats what i heard last year

You're more in the know than I am. :p:

Ah cool, literally the only bad thing about 'Deen, from the sounds of it, is how cold it is.
Original post by kingme
yeah, **** worrying when you can be complacent and just reapply next year :L

Not sure if that was sarky or not, but **** worrying full stop, hakuna matataaaa :biggrin:
Aberdeen seems really popular this year! Is it the new Edinburgh? :teeth:

Original post by kingme
its apparently the up-and-coming scottish med school.

however, its in aberdeen, not edinburgh, so probably not as popular :smile:

I'm really surprised by how many people are looking at applying there this year. I suppose the change in course structure in the last few years to more group work, slightly more clinical exposure in early years, and less didactic lectures is appealing. Not to mention the shiny new building for anatomy and clinical skills :h:
Reply 7810
You're more in the know than I am. :p:

Ah cool, literally the only bad thing about 'Deen, from the sounds of it, is how cold it is.

nothing a knitted jumper wont fix :tongue: but im from glasgow, where were prone to the odd moan about the weather. up in aberdeen they have some real weather esp in winter. if you fall asleep outside, your pretty buggered :hahaha:
Reply 7811
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'm really surprised by how many people are looking at applying there this year. I suppose the change in course structure in the last few years to more group work, slightly more clinical exposure in early years, and less didactic lectures is appealing. Not to mention the shiny new building for anatomy and clinical skills :h:

that was it :tongue:

might be showing myself up, but what are 'less didactic lectures'?
Reply 7812
didactic - dictation. oops
Reply 7813
Why would Brum say that! Wish unis were just straight with us. :p:

I'm a hopeful, same boat as you. Applied to: Keele, Liverpool, East Anglia and Aberdeen. Sent the UCAS form off to school on Fri. Obviously I'm really hoping I get a place this year but at the same time I think we should keep perspective and remember that not getting in this year isn't the end of the world... we have next year, and the year after next, and the year after that etc. :p:

They're some stellar uni's, you must have good GCSE's, and good luck for this year. I really liked liverpool, but liked manchester as much and then chose manchester just because of my poor GCSE's. Yeah we have to be realistic as medicine is extremely competitive, and if not this year we have always got a chance to reapply or go through graduate entry (though that would be annoying).
Original post by Vulpes
It would be a bit risky applying for Imperial with AAB at AS. Especially with the B in Chemistry. I'm assuming you are getting an AAA prediction? Kings and St Georges should be okay from my point of view. You should ask Penguinsaysquack if you want extra information on Barts. :smile:

Actually, Imperial don't look at AS grades. I've e-mailed them about 5 times, and called them up 2 times- and they say the same thing over and over again; "we don't look at AS grades- only predicted ones along with your BMAT"

^^ hope that helped, and good luck with your applications guys!
Reply 7815
Original post by Pom Agranite
Actually, Imperial don't look at AS grades. I've e-mailed them about 5 times, and called them up 2 times- and they say the same thing over and over again; "we don't look at AS grades- only predicted ones along with your BMAT"

^^ hope that helped, and good luck with your applications guys!

Just happened to come across this post, just wanna say THANKS! Been stressing about this since I only got a C in chem, our whole class did awful. But I'm predicted an A so I'm fine! PHEW.
Reply 7816
Original post by loz876
Just happened to come across this post, just wanna say THANKS! Been stressing about this since I only got a C in chem, our whole class did awful. But I'm predicted an A so I'm fine! PHEW.

They might wonder why you got predicted 2 grades up though. :confused:
Unless you had extenuating circumstances.
Reply 7817
Original post by Besakt
They might wonder why you got predicted 2 grades up though. :confused:
Unless you had extenuating circumstances.

I lot of persuasion and tears! Nahh I didn't have any cirumstances, still waiting for my script to arrive though :confused: nobody in the class got higher than a C, even those who I thought would get near enough full marks!
Reply 7818
Original post by loz876
I lot of persuasion and tears! Nahh I didn't have any cirumstances, still waiting for my script to arrive though :confused: nobody in the class got higher than a C, even those who I thought would get near enough full marks!

Would they not wonder, why you got predicted 2 grades up though?
That's well unfair I was 2 UMS marks off an A in chemistry and got predicted a B. :eek:
Reply 7819
My school has sent my UCAS form today :shock:
Now I'm beginning to believe that I filled in my UCAS ID on my BMAT form wrong :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending