The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7820
Original post by Besakt
Would they not wonder, why you got predicted 2 grades up though?
That's well unfair I was 2 UMS marks off an A in chemistry and got predicted a B. :eek:

well my teacher said that "there'd be no harm in predicting an A". I also did really bad in my ISA back in September last year (D), and I'm redoing it soon and I should easily get an A, bringing my grade up to a B overall. I'm anxious to get my script back though because I used pencil to draw mechanisms in chem2 and my chem teachers, head of sixth form and tutor have all said that it might not have scanned.

Whaaat? Slightly unfair! Depends how well you know your teachers, if you know them well a bit of persuasion goes a long way :tongue:
Reply 7821
Original post by loz876
well my teacher said that "there'd be no harm in predicting an A". I also did really bad in my ISA back in September last year (D), and I'm redoing it soon and I should easily get an A, bringing my grade up to a B overall. I'm anxious to get my script back though because I used pencil to draw mechanisms in chem2 and my chem teachers, head of sixth form and tutor have all said that it might not have scanned.

Whaaat? Slightly unfair! Depends how well you know your teachers, if you know them well a bit of persuasion goes a long way :tongue:

I got an A in coursework and an A in module 2. I'm on really good terms with my teachers. Our school had a policy there is no room for negotiations.

They should really bring in a much better system instead of this prediction stuff. :rolleyes: As some schools are really lenient whilst others aren't.
Original post by Besakt
Would they not wonder, why you got predicted 2 grades up though?
That's well unfair I was 2 UMS marks off an A in chemistry and got predicted a B. :eek:

I was 21 UMS above the A boundary, and still had to coerce my chemistry teacher to change it from a B to an A :rolleyes:
Reply 7823
Original post by Normandy114
I was 21 UMS above the A boundary, and still had to coerce my chemistry teacher to change it from a B to an A :rolleyes:

Why did you get predicted a grade below? What were your module marks like?
Reply 7824
Original post by Besakt
I got an A in coursework and an A in module 2. I'm on really good terms with my teachers. Our school had a policy there is no room for negotiations.

They should really bring in a much better system instead of this prediction stuff. :rolleyes: As some schools are really lenient whilst others aren't.

really? I guess the system doesn't work that well because some teachers can be persuaded and some can't. But my view was that if I got predicted an A and didn't achieve it, that'd be my fault, whereas if I didn't get the prediction but did achieve it in the end, I wouldn't have been able to get an offer and would have been really annoyed. I think also it was to do with the whole class not doing great - if everyone else got A's, and I got a C, they would have probably reconsidered.
Original post by Besakt
Why did you get predicted a grade below? What were your module marks like?

Because I didn't work at GCSE and got a B, and they use GCSE results to predict scores.
I had 120/120, 100/120 and 41/60 (I'm awful at coursework :tongue:)
Reply 7826
Original post by loz876
really? I guess the system doesn't work that well because some teachers can be persuaded and some can't. But my view was that if I got predicted an A and didn't achieve it, that'd be my fault, whereas if I didn't get the prediction but did achieve it in the end, I wouldn't have been able to get an offer and would have been really annoyed. I think also it was to do with the whole class not doing great - if everyone else got A's, and I got a C, they would have probably reconsidered.

No, I think students should not be allowed to persuade teachers. Just because your class underperformed, is not a sufficient reason. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have a terrible teacher because if you really want it then you will learn it and find websites and other sources to gain a better understanding of what you don't understand.

Original post by Normandy114
Because I didn't work at GCSE and got a B, and they use GCSE results to predict scores.
I had 120/120, 100/120 and 41/60 (I'm awful at coursework :tongue:)

Oh, that is still pretty unfair if you ask me, how can you predict a grade lower that's is basically saying I know you've done well this year but I expect you to mess up next year so I will predict you a grade lower.
Original post by Besakt
Oh, that is still pretty unfair if you ask me, how can you predict a grade lower that's is basically saying I know you've done well this year but I expect you to mess up next year so I will predict you a grade lower.

With the jump from AS to A2 I think it's entirely plausible that you may not maintain your grade :dontknow:
Reply 7828
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Policy has changed for undergrads so they don't care quite so much!

okay...well i called them and they said they rank people by UKCAT scores if you meet the min academic requirements...
Reply 7829
Original post by Besakt
No, I think students should not be allowed to persuade teachers. Just because your class underperformed, is not a sufficient reason. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you have a terrible teacher because if you really want it then you will learn it and find websites and other sources to gain a better understanding of what you don't understand.

I'm not saying I have bad teachers - in fact they are great, and I don't blame them for my grade. But your view of saying "if you really want it you will learn it" can work both ways - I really want and need an A therefore I am confident enough to say I will get one, and if I need to explain this to my teachers to be predicted an A, then I will, and I did. There are 3 medics in our class and all three of us got C's instead of A's, but that doesn't mean we can't get an A at A2.
Original post by helmasry
okay...well i called them and they said they rank people by UKCAT scores if you meet the min academic requirements...

Not for 2012 entry, at least 7 or 8 of us have emailed or called them, and we have all been told that now all you need is a score of 600 average, then they rank people by UCAS tariff scores, not UKCAT.
Original post by loz876
I'm not saying I have bad teachers - in fact they are great, and I don't blame them for my grade. But your view of saying "if you really want it you will learn it" can work both ways - I really want and need an A therefore I am confident enough to say I will get one, and if I need to explain this to my teachers to be predicted an A, then I will, and I did. There are 3 medics in our class and all three of us got C's instead of A's, but that doesn't mean we can't get an A at A2.

But surely getting As rather than Cs would make it easier for your teachers to be convinced....
Are we put at a disadvantage if we send off our ucas late for courses like kings emdp? like just before the deadline (next week) do our applications get discarded or something?
Reply 7833
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
But surely getting As rather than Cs would make it easier for your teachers to be convinced....

Well yes, but none of us got A's... I don't see your point :confused: ?
Original post by loz876
Well yes, but none of us got A's... I don't see your point :confused: ?

Well, you said before that teachers shouldn't predict low grades just because you haven't achieved high ones in the past...if you haven't been getting As, how can you expect people to predict you them?
Reply 7835
Original post by Becca-Sarah
With the jump from AS to A2 I think it's entirely plausible that you may not maintain your grade :dontknow:

But isn't the jump from GCSE to AS similar and if you can get a B in GCSE then go on to get an A at AS wouldn't that show that you are capable?
Reply 7836
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well, you said before that teachers shouldn't predict low grades just because you haven't achieved high ones in the past...if you haven't been getting As, how can you expect people to predict you them?

I guess it depends on how it works in different schools, as I said my teacher's view was that there wasn't any harm in predicting me higher than my AS grade because it gives me motivation. We also had our reference forms filled out in July before results day, where my teachers predicted me an A already, afterwards it was a matter of asking them not to change it. If they teachers know the class well enough to predict them higher than they achieved, then I don't see the problem.
Reply 7837
Original post by loz876

If you really wanted and needed an A then you would have got it at AS. I'm not saying it doesn't mean you cannot get A's at A2 I just think it is unfair when school like yours predict you two grades above and there are other school which predict you a grade below. The system needs some sort of review.

*Also there are three medicine applicants in your class not medics.
my lip is all sore because i chew it when im nervous.

this is gonna be a bad year for my lip.
Reply 7839
Original post by laurie:)
my lip is all sore because i chew it when im nervous.

this is gonna be a bad year for my lip.

Haha same my nails are taking a beating, I cannot imagine whats going to happen if I get interviews and I haven't even sent mine off yet

Latest

Trending

Trending