The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidneyjean
Oh :s-smilie: I got that information (AAA at A2 = 15/15 on academics) from the Open Day; I asked one of the admissions tutors- did you meet all their GCSE minimum requirements and stuff? I guess that could've brought it down.

Yes I did. Wow, that's strange. I heard that AAAa would get you 15 points, however, I got AAAc so maybe its because of my 4th AS. Damn you Physics.
Reply 181
Has anyone had confirmation from BSMS yet? :confused:
Reply 182
if i got aaab in AS and am predicted A*AAA in alevel, then would they just take the A*AA into account as im not dropping a subject
Hi! Could you add me to the applicants on the first post please? :smile:

Username: CraigKirk
Course: A100, Medicine
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAB + sc B + triple distinction and merit in OCR Nationals ICT
AS level and equivalent: A* Extended Project and currently studying AS Further Maths and English Literature, predicted AA.
A2 levels: Biology A*, Physics A*, Maths A* and Chemistry A
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? Reapplicant

Medically-related experience: 18 months at the local hospice, 2 weeks at the hospital, 2 medicine summer schools, various clinical skills evenings, started working as a teaching assistant with special educational needs students in September.

Thank youuu! Good luck to everyone else!
Reply 184
Original post by Oggz
Has anyone had confirmation from BSMS yet? :confused:

Nope, but not all unis will give out confirmations, some just wait until they have reached a decision. But don't worry they will have your application :smile:
Reply 185
hey does BSMS charge 23,000+ for each of the 5 years?

Most schools have lower fees for pre-clinical years (usually year 1 and 2) but I see no difference in what BSMS charges. Do I have the wrong information or does BSMS actually charge that much money per year for 5 years?
Reply 186
Original post by .eXe
hey does BSMS charge 23,000+ for each of the 5 years?

Most schools have lower fees for pre-clinical years (usually year 1 and 2) but I see no difference in what BSMS charges. Do I have the wrong information or does BSMS actually charge that much money per year for 5 years?

No you do have the right information. They charge the clinical fee for the whole period. They say it is because you are exposed to clinical skills from the very onset.
Reply 187
Thanks for the confirmation.

and...

Goddammit! How the hell am I supposed to get that amount of money. Better start playing the lottery sigh.
m thinking of applying to southampton.
GCSEs- 4A*s 5As
AS- AAAA Maths chem bio geog
Predicted A*AA in Geog Bio Chem
UKcat: 660 average
Work exp: 2 weeks at a hospital. 3 days at a gp surgery.
NO long term volunteering (care) work.

do i stand a chance here?
Original post by pharrison1
m thinking of applying to southampton.
GCSEs- 4A*s 5As
AS- AAAA Maths chem bio geog
Predicted A*AA in Geog Bio Chem
UKcat: 660 average
Work exp: 2 weeks at a hospital. 3 days at a gp surgery.
NO long term volunteering (care) work.

do i stand a chance here?

This is the BSMS thread, not Southampton?
Reply 190
Original post by vfest
to the people who got 13.5, do you mind me asking what your grades were?? :P

Hey admissions said I got 13.5 out of 14, I'm not sure if that's because studying this year as well. I'm a Scottish applicant so my grades probably aren't that much help to you :smile: AAAABB highers, AB advanced highers, A in the Scottish Science Baccalaureate and I'm studying human bio and genetics with the open uni, which is where I reckon the 14 comes from.

They did say to go ahead and apply with that score because they would definitely look at my other stuff based on my academics :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Kevlar R
Hey admissions said I got 13.5 out of 14, I'm not sure if that's because studying this year as well. I'm a Scottish applicant so my grades probably aren't that much help to you :smile: AAAABB highers, AB advanced highers, A in the Scottish Science Baccalaureate and I'm studying human bio and genetics with the open uni, which is where I reckon the 14 comes from.

They did say to go ahead and apply with that score because they would definitely look at my other stuff based on my academics :smile:

Is the academic score not out of 15?
Username: POWCATTY
Course: A100, Medicine
GCSEs: 6A* (inc maths and triple science), 4A (including english language), 1B (english literature)
AS level and equivalent: Art and Design D (and A's for the subjects i continued to A2)
A2 levels: Biology A*, Physics A, Chemistry A*
UKCAT: av. 773
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? Reapplicant

Medically-related experience: 1 year volunteering at special needs school and st johns ambulance, 1.5 years volunteering at hospital, 4 months working at a care home, and about 2 weeks work experience in the hospital.

(i do have a life, honest! lol)

now, honest opinion....do you think i should apply here? im torn between 5 unis, im trying to go for ones which have different approaches to entry requirements ie ukcat heavy, group interview etc. ive never had a proper interview, will it effect my chances much?
Reply 193
Original post by KR1993
Is the academic score not out of 15?

it is out of 15, he mistyped.
i phoned them up and ive been told i got 14/15 academic score, you get marked down if your 4th AS is lower - so i got A*A*Ad
is it worth applying?

and does anyone know what the application process is? how do they use UKCAT scores?
Reply 195
yay! 15/15 does anyone know what you had to get out of 30 last year to get an interview?
Reply 196
Original post by wannabeDr
yay! 15/15 does anyone know what you had to get out of 30 last year to get an interview?

That's great :biggrin: I think it was 25/30 last year. What are your academics like?
Reply 197
Original post by KR1993
That's great :biggrin: I think it was 25/30 last year. What are your academics like?

Could you tell me about their interview methods?
Reply 198
Original post by POWCATTY
i phoned them up and ive been told i got 14/15 academic score, you get marked down if your 4th AS is lower - so i got A*A*Ad
is it worth applying?

and does anyone know what the application process is? how do they use UKCAT scores?

they use ukcat AFTER the interview ONLY if two applicants are TIED

basically, they don't use the ukcat lol
Reply 199
This is the email I received:
When assessing applications our admissions assessors will score academic qualifications out of 15 points and the other aspects of an application, including your relevant experience and non-academic activities, out of a further 15 points. There is no minimum score for GCSEs during assessment. In fact as long as there is evidence of strong year 12 grades within the application this will supersede GCSE support (obviously the minimum requirement of grade B for both English and Maths is still required) if we deem it academically stronger than the GCSEs on show. We do not prescribe any subjects students should take as the 'third' A level, with only General Studies and Critical Thinking normally being excluded from conditional offers.
You will also need to sit the UKCAT the summer prior to applying via UCAS (www.ukcat.ac.uk). At present we*consider UKCAT scores as just part of the overall picture. We do not operate a cut-off system. However we do not use the UKCAT score to prioritise candidates for interview and we do not reveal the score to interviewers,*we nevertheless*observed with hindsight that the candidates prioritised for interview had (on average) UKCAT scores well above average, and that those with UKCAT scores in the higher range were also much more likely to be recommended by interviewers. However there were individual candidates with low UKCAT scores who had otherwise excellent academic grades and top interview ratings, and who we are happy to have joining us. We shall of course be monitoring the outcome, and there may be changes in the way we use this information in the future.
With reference to the non-academic criteria required, this will mainly come from your personal statement. All forms of extracurricular activities can appeal to assessors once the non-academic aspects of your application come to be considered - from a noted talent or commitment in music, sport, the arts. All these areas could help strengthen your application. Voluntary/work experience will also be assessed*and, if in evidence in the application, awarded.**

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending