The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dee Leigh

:eek: How rude!

Lol, a lot of Indians are extremely racist like that. I'm not Indian but what I have heard from some of them about other races really shock me.
Original post by Ebuwa
I thought Muslim women aren't allowed to marry non-Muslims?

That's correct.

Of course you'll get Muslim women "marrying" non Muslim men or Muslim men "marrying" Atheist etc. But the fact is, their religion quite clearly states who they can and cannot marry. And a Muslim woman cannot marry a non Muslim man, and when I mean "cannot", I mean that according to Islam, they wouldn't be married. The marriage wouldn't be recognized.

What people seem to confuse is religious rules with cival laws. In order for Muslims to get married in the UK or any other non-Muslim country, they need to combine the nikah with the civil ceremony. That way they'll married according to their religion and the laws of the country. If Muslims simply did the Nikah and did not register in a civil marriage, they'll still be married technically, but only according to Islam but not according to the state.
Race is not a matter for my parents regarding a partner for me, the character and personality is. I gotta love my mum and dad :smile: If I had ignorant racist parent's I'd tell them to sling their hook if they tried to prevent me being with someone outside my race!
Original post by Cesar Lecat
That's correct.

What people seem to confuse is religious rules with cival laws. In order for Muslims to get married in the UK or any other non-Muslim country, they need to combine the nikah with the civil ceremony. That way they'll married according to their religion and the laws of the country. If Muslims simply did the Nikah and did not register in a civil marriage, they'll still be married technically, but only according to Islam but not according to the state.

I think that when you say some one can not do something, it refers only to civil laws. Religion is a very personal thing, and most people choose the degree of religiousness they want to adopt. But a civil law can literally forbid or allow you to do something. So my mother could marry my father, because it was legal for her to marry a non-muslim. Her religion does not technically allow her to marry outside of her faith, but she does not explicitly follow everything that her religion states.
Original post by Pinkgrapefruit
I think that when you say some one can not do something, it refers only to civil laws. Religion is a very personal thing, and most people choose the degree of religiousness they want to adopt. But a civil law can literally forbid or allow you to do something. So my mother could marry my father, because it was legal for her to marry a non-muslim. Her religion does not technically allow her to marry outside of her faith, but she does not explicitly follow everything that her religion states.

I know, that's pretty much what I was saying :s-smilie:
I know, that's pretty much what I was saying :s-smilie:

OK, I thought you were criticzing here for marrying outside of her religion. :colondollar: Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote.
Original post by Pinkgrapefruit
OK, I thought you were criticzing here for marrying outside of her religion. :colondollar: Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote.

Depends on how you want to interpret my post.

My overall point was that the religion (Islam) wouldn't recognize it as marriage, but the state would and that people seem to confuse the two sometimes.
Reply 227
Yes, and I obey their wishes 31

Pretty tragic. Who's really living your life, you or your parents?
That's correct.

Of course you'll get Muslim women "marrying" non Muslim men or Muslim men "marrying" Atheist etc. But the fact is, their religion quite clearly states who they can and cannot marry. And a Muslim woman cannot marry a non Muslim man, and when I mean "cannot", I mean that according to Islam, they wouldn't be married. The marriage wouldn't be recognized.

I know that post wasn't addressed to me but okay, I hear this a lot of the time, but I have an uncle and he's married to a Christian woman. But they are from the same culture so maybe that counts for something. I don't know.
I know that post wasn't addressed to me but okay, I hear this a lot of the time, but I have an uncle and he's married to a Christian woman. But they are from the same culture so maybe that counts for something. I don't know.

A Muslim man can marry a Christian woman.
A Muslim man can marry a Christian woman.

But a woman can't? If that is so, why is that? Sounds like double standards to me.
im mixed race and my husband is white. parents went really mad but i just didnt care
Reply 232
I've never dated outside my race but I can't see my parents having a problem with it if I did.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
I'd expect them to stop funding my education.

Also, biased poll is biased. What if I don't find people outside my own race really attractive and don't want to date them?

how can you not? there's hottie humpers of eevry race :wink:
Original post by shinytoy
how can you not? there's hottie humpers of eevry race :wink:

Aye, but the thread is talking about dating, not humping :wink:
i remember when i got caught with a sprinter, they were not happy.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Aye, but the thread is talking about dating, not humping :wink:

theres hotties of every race
Mum doesn't. Dad does. Literally 50/50.
Reply 238
My parents are of different races so would of been quite odd if they didnt approve :P
Original post by Anonymous
im mixed race and my husband is white. parents went really mad but i just didnt care

How can they go mad? You're mixed, which means they are not both of the same ethnicity.

I hate ignorance and would not date who my parents told me I should. I would date someone who treated me right and who I liked regardless of their skin colour or religion.

People, you need to be strong and tell your family this is who you are. (yes it might not be easy, or easier said then done..but really it can be done). Ok they may not like it. but tough. They will eventually come around. If they dont. Life will be better without them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending